The Art of Bee Keeping.....

goldinmyear

May 25, 2009
So. OREGON.
Detector(s) used
GP-EXTREME, LST, XLT.
Hey''all Everybody....just thought I'd introduce my self. (Yep I'm A greenie)
I'm semi retired right now,and love to keep bees. its a wonderful business to be in.
,,besides treasure hunting) I live in Southern Oregon,Although I was raised in Tacoma Wa.
I'm one of the only certified Organic Bee Keepers in So. Oregon.,,and proud of it.
Although...since keeping bees I've managed to gain a few extra unwanted pounds, even though
the work is strenious? go figure. will post some pics soon. Tor

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always been facinated with keeping bees. I figure, when I retire from the Army in a few years, I'd like to get started. I've been reading The Honeybee and the Hive and I've sent away for numerous supplier catalogs, just to get the lingo and terms down. Anything you can suggest, before I tumble headlong into it? ;)

BTW, how are colonies faring there in S. OR? is colony colapse affecting them as bad in your area? I haven't had too much time lately to keep up on that news front, with a new job and all...

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Want to hear more ,as well . I was well on my way into this and handling bees without protective gear when my mentor suddenly developed a near fatal reaction to bee stings .
I got a divorce shortly thereafter and beekeeping went into limbo until now . I have time enough now to devote to hives of bees .

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Great hobby. I too am curious if Colony collapse disorder has been a problem out there yet? My sister had a pair of hives that died off in Connecticut due to it a couple of years ago. I miss the honey she used to dole out during the holidays.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
my grand father was a bee keeper. i remember watching him (from a distance) as a kid. it amazed me how he would harvest the hives with just a hood and a smoke kettle. he would put an old rag soaked with oil and light it. he got stung a few times but not much. mostly when he would mistakenly crush a bee between his fingers and the hive

OP
OP
goldinmyear

goldinmyear

May 25, 2009
So. OREGON.
Detector(s) used
GP-EXTREME, LST, XLT.
Hey'' thanks for everybodys interest,and feedback. Just got done Extracting about 800 pounds of honey..its a very HOT & STICKY job.
This is the kind of job you either LOVE,or LOVE to hate. C.C.D ?...I've been keeping bees now for about 8 yrs. and so far I have never lost bees do to a collapse disorder.
....so far. I guess I've been lucky. you know the old saying...if it were easy , everybody would be doing it !
to me its very rewarding, I get to travel,and I get to travel,and wait I already said that. Anywho..Don't forget to vote.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread