Walking sticks,,w/vines

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I`ve seen a couple of people on here that make the walking sticks. I cut a bunch of these last year and am just starting to finish them. This stick is a big one,,,65inches with the spiral taking up 53. My question is,,,should I take the vine out or just clean it up a bit with a brush. Will it hurt the wood?? This is the first one to get ready. I just dont want to ruin it. Thanx for any input/info.
Lori

Attachments

• S6302724 (480x640).jpg
    S6302724 (480x640).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 734
  • S6302728 (480x640).jpg
    S6302728 (480x640).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 879

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several like that. Some the vine out, some left in. Easier leaving it in, but depends on the thickness of the vine, and the growth over the vine. Almost have to use your own judgement on which you want to do. The one posted has a lot of character to it, I would leave it.

OP
OP
tncreeker

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanx River Rat,
The vine would be hard to get out now, after sitting all year. I thought it had a little sumpin sumpin going on too. It dried nice and I left enough on for it to check and not harm the end result. I appreciate the response.
Lori

S

stefen

I prefer leaving the vine in-place...

Here's a sketch of a head I carved on a peice of beach driftwood a while back...

Attachments

• WALKING STICK HEAD.jpg
    WALKING STICK HEAD.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 538
  • WALKING STICK HEAD.jpg
    WALKING STICK HEAD.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 430

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make mine out of Cedar,some for myself and some for friends,I look for a small size tree about 8 to 10 ft. tall and pick out the middle branch,peel the bark off and then let it dry for about a month,sometimes I spray a finish on it and sometimes I just leave it plain.I have a favorite that probably has over a 1000 miles on it,I take it out with me everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread