Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda' got away from it since I started metal detecting. I have a collection of WWI and WWII foreign military bolt action rifles and shoot in competition regularly at my gun club. I haven't entered this year, but when I am active I am pretty salty for an old fart. Usually finish in the top five or ten and have won a couple of matches. I shoot a 1916 Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55 Swede, and handload all my own ammo. I have been reloading for all my weapons for about 40 years and have reloading equipment for nearly any contemporary cartridge except the very recent .45 and .50 caliber magnum handguns and rifles. Big boomers don't turn me on and I much prefer the old timey reliable rounds. I even have a WWI Russian 7.62 revolver that is comparable to our .32 long colt. Enjoy plinking as well. I go deer hunting every fall and have never taken a deer with anything but one of my handloads. I was going to try to take a deer with every one of my military bolt actions and did with my 6.5 Swede and my 7.62 Russian, but my eyes got too bad for open sights in the woods. Monty

TORPEDOX

Aug 23, 2007
Payette Id.
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT
I recently began restoring a 1917 lee enfield No1 MkIII, that had been sporterized probably 50 years ago. at least they didn't cut the barrel or remove the sights. just removed all the "military hardware" and cut the front of the stock.
so far I've been real lucky with parts.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i have had both a 30-06 built on a mauser action and a lee enfield 303 british from WW2 -- ( fulll military stock heavy bugger) --- gave it to my nephew as his first deer gun when he was a young 18 year old and needed a "loaner" gun to hunt with at deer camp --- the mauser sadly was sold when things got tight once --- my current deer gun is a real keeper--- it is a old remington model 721 in .270 win -- in fine shape well kept up and a great shooter ---seems the original owner sent it in and had a target barrel job done on it by the factory --(that cost big bucks !! )--- back in the days when the custom guys were ex military armors from WW2 who had worked there at remington for many years after the war --- a very top flight job -- its still dead on target . -- Ivan

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have only gone shooting twice in my life but i found it to be really enjoyable. i can see what would draw you to the hobby.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although there are some team competition events, most shooting competition is a solitary sport. It's just you against everyone else. Sometimes as little as a thousandth of an inch can determine the difference between a win and a loss. The best attribute for a good competative shooter is good eyes. Once the eyes start to go, you can very seldom remain a top contender. Besides I enjoy the reloading and experimenting with different loads and bullets to obtain the best accuracy the rifle is capable of delivering. Monty

cheato

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2005
Although I don't shoot military rifles competitively, I shoot trap and other shooting sports all my life. So many people don't speak up about the fun and really good things about hunting or shooting. I just needed to throw my 2 cents in. :-)

Cheato :-)

:)

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
I've been hunting deer with a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mark I, in the original .303 British, for well over ten years. Very reliable, flat shooting, accurate, and fun! I also like that this gun was made in 1943, making it a bonafide war gun. It is a heavy sucker though.

Davisdog.

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
I deer hunt with a 1943 Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2 .303...I have modified it myself with a full synthetic Monte Carlo stock, Simmons Atec scope, and cut 4.5 inches off the barrel...its a tack driver at 100yards with out of the box UMC 180gr round nose boat-tails. I have never had to shoot more than one shot at a deer that I have taken with this rifle.

I also like the old WWII rifles...they really knew what they were doing when they built them.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
a hunting gun is one thing but a gun for war is a totally differant matter -- it had to be good since your life depended on it --- the british lee enfield .303 was a heavy beast but was solidly made ,held 10 rounds with out reloading and was one of the all time best bolt action guns, its very similar to the 30 -06 ballistics wise--- another high popular military gun that is / was converted for sporting use was the german bolt action mauser 8 mm rifle again its very similar to the 30-06 ballistics wise -- both rifles served in their military before and during WW1 and WW2 --- the old american 30-06 springfeild bolt action rifle is in a class by itself -- its considered by many to be the best of the best of bolt action military rifles. --- Ivan

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2007_0803fri0602_std.jpg

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The .03 and .03A1 Springfields are a modified version of the German 98 Mauser. It's no secret that Springfield took the basic Mauser action and made improvements to fit the needs of our military at the time. I agree they are the cream of the crop for military bolt action rifles probably only being challenged for the #1 spot by the Persian Mauser and going back to WWI, the Swedish Mauser. The military was selling several surplus Springfields last Summer through their Civilian Marksmanship Program. They were demanding top dollar, but well worth it from the ones I have seen. They are sold first come first served and you have no choice about which one they send you. Some are like new but others are pretty banged up. But all have bright shiney bores and are mechanically sound. Even if you are not a shooter, they are a good investment. If you luck out and buy one , please don't try to sporterize it. You will ruin it's resale value and intrinsic value and there are only so many left. If you want a hunting gun, buy a modern bolt action that is much better suited for hunting. I have hunted with my collectables but never modified them in any way. I have a battery of fine hunting rifles, but enjoyed the challenge of doing it the old way. Monty

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks monty i value your advice on the issue 8)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I went to a military academy high school,and we carried and drilled with '03 Springfields.Dry-fired every day but only shot them a few times,we mostly shot 22's on the range.That school went away in the late 60's,but those rifles were in excellent condition for whoever ended up with them,about 450 of them.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the swedish 6.5 x 55 mauser action type "sniper" is well known for it deadly accurate shooting in skilled hands -- the swiss are well know for quality workmanship by the way be it in chocolate, guns ,watches , or cars --- Ivan

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Hi SWR, The 1917 was an enfield action and I was curious at what your rifle says on it, that says it's Win? I use to have one that said EDDESTONE, was that a Remington made one? Thanks.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
My Winchester Model 1917 30-06 all dressed up ;)

AAAAWWWWWWWWWWW MAN :o

57sauce

Dec 3, 2007
Rochester, MN
I never competed but my Uncle ran a few events. He hired me to ride my bike down the range to reset the targets. Ended up buying my next bike.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my first mil-surp gun, or first gun for that matter........

I am the proud owner of a Mosin-Nagant m44........matching numbers...and 75 rounds....got it for $50.00 bucks, it looks brand new except for some bluing damage on the tip of barrel, and sight........

Got to go shoot it now.......

I have a Remington 22 heirloom rifle also......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread