Too many hobies!

Captain Wolfe

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2007
Russellville AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett surface / Homebuilt underwater
I like scuba, playing music, sailing, flying, buiding/working on boats/planes, art of illusion, history, caving, mountain climbing...

If anyone wants to talk about my hobbies feel free to post or cantact me. I always enjoy learning more.

If you have a hobby you think I'd be interested in, let me know, I also enjoy learning something new!

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
The Alabama Forge Council has a branch in Athens. I'm sure those guys could get you set up in blacksmithing or knifemaking if you're interested.
http://afc.abana-chapter.com/

They have a huge 3 day bladesmithing symposium near Birmingham every year around the first of April. Camping, cooking out, hammering on hot steel in Tannehill State Park while some of the best knifemakers in the country give you pointers and demos...highly recommended!

Don Fogg of Jasper has a ridiculous amount of great info on the art of bladesmithing available on his website and forums.

http://www.dfoggknives.com/

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
oldplacesnofinds said:
Have a couple kids. That will lower your list of hobbies in a hurry.

Not for me....my three kids inspired many of the hobbies I do have. :)

Captain Wolfe said:
I like scuba, playing music, sailing, flying, buiding/working on boats/planes, art of illusion, history, caving, mountain climbing...

If anyone wants to talk about my hobbies feel free to post or cantact me. I always enjoy learning more.

If you have a hobby you think I'd be interested in, let me know, I also enjoy learning something new!

Genealogy is my first love, my first hobby...I live, eat, breathe, sleep it....I can't go anywhere, either in town or when on vacation, driving down the road...without thoughts of genealogy. I love going to cemeteries and taking pics of the headstones, esp those small MOM & POP cemeteries...I love recording history. I love meeting people...by the time we part, I may have taken abit of your family history with me!!!! I didn't like history in school...but genealogy has opened my eyes to history....and people make the history...I love researching my family and putting them in a place of history....it's exciting and thrilling! My dau has Native American roots on her father's side and my boys have a famous family name from the Outer Banks!

Archeaology: even though I never went to school to learn this art....I love to participate or just sit back and watch digs being done. I find it fascinating and exciting the items they pull from the ground. We are avid Jamestown Fans and are always there checking out the newest digs. Even though it's been awhile since we did go....we were there when they were digging up things from the well...OMG...totally awesome! We checked out their new museum as well. My dau even found a piece of MING CHINA, confirmed by Dr. Kelso when the digs first started. Have lots of pics of when it was first started and from each visit we have been back to see. Never to late to go back to school and have been revisiting this thought to learn archeaology!!

Cross-stitching is another I love. I love making Christmas Stockings...personalized...for family and friends to cherish forever! Infact, I have a few made already, set aside to add my grandbabies names when they start arriving...my dau is 22...so I figure my first one should arrive within the next 5 years!!! LOL (with 3 kids, I expect atleast 3 grandbabies from each one!)

Boy Scout and Cub Scouts: my boys are both involved. Hubby is an Assist Scoutmaster as well as a Committee Member (dual position) and I am a Webelos Pack Leader. We love camping and enjoy helping the boys earn their badges, we assist, we don't do the work...they are the ones earning them, not us. I am a former Girl Scout...crossed over to Senior Scout (eqiv to Eagle). Then I was a Daisy Leader while stationed in Italy.

Camping, aside from scouting. We are going on vacation in ONE WEEK...WHOO HOO...camping on a lake and will dig for diamonds and metal detect. Looking for a place in Arkansas near where we will be to see about rock hunting....this will help the boys also in earning another badge! Rock Hunting is a new hobby we are looking into...my boys are great for collecting ROCKS!!! Oh Vey!

Webpages: I love working on my web pages. I have several...one for my genealogy research, one for my family history, one for one of the ship's I was on and one for a ship that carried our name before we were commissioned. We were the 5th ship with that name. Already had a ship's reunion because of my web site....

Coin Collecting: Just started and learning all I can. This also involves my boys, as they can get a badge for coin collecting. My mother collected coins when I was little, but she never let us even look at them! So, never got to learn from her. My father collected stamps. I was never interested in that and he was willing to teach me. Sorry Dad....I wish I had learned from you on stamp collecting.

Gardening. The boys and I are building boxes for my SQUARE FOOT garden. The boys each get their own box or a couple of them, to start learning to grow their own vegies...esp the ones they really like to eat! We need to learn to use our resources and fend for ourselves....no telling what will tomorrow will bring!

Scrapbooking: I'm not really into it..but my oldest boy is the Troop Historian as well as Asst Patrol Leader. I got him the BOY SCOUT ALBUM and some pages and odds and ends to go on the pages with his pictures. My youngest CUB SCOUT...I got him an album too...just because. So that is our newest family hobby...scrapbooking...it's not just a girl thing. Rosie Greer crochets and knits!!!

Fishing...ewwwwwwww NO WAY! Those smelly things!! But hubby and the boys love it....so while I search cemeteries, they get dinner! LOL

Metal Detecting: A new hobby we picked up 2 years ago....always had an interest, just never bought a detector....now it's our newest family hobby.

I feel you need your own special hobby (genealogy being mine) and then you have those shared with others (hubby and wife: metal detecting...boys don't care to much for it yet) and some you share with the whole family (fishing, camping, rock huntig...etc)...so we have a mixture.

My dau is on her own...stationed in Guam...so I won't see her again until Dec 2008 :( :'(...but we will pick up our favorite hobby: SHOPPING!!!!!!!!! (but this time it will be things for her new home!)

These are probably hobbies you may no interest in...but then again....you may!

Happy Hobbies to you!

OP
OP
Captain Wolfe

Captain Wolfe

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2007
Russellville AL
Detector(s) used
I'm sortof learning archaeology. My 10yr old wants to be an archeaologist when he gets older. One of my aunts has worked with several universities over the years and she is helping to get him started. My 13 yr old loves fishing, boats, learning scuba, and is an excelent trumpet player. My 4yr old loves it all. Whatever me and the other two are up to, he's right in the thick of it. But i'm glad I have so many things I can share with them. While their friends are hangin out we're goin out. Every so often Little Momma gets into it. I guess the reason I like so many different things is I enjoy discovering things with my children. Saw a few good suggestions tho, but as far as more kids? ...Still tryin for our little girl. after that then no more! LOL

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have too many hobbies also. I like playing acoustic guitar,mandolin,dulcimer,harmonica, and
keyboard. Alos I collect knives, old watches(mechanical jeweled),coins,guns,musical instruments, and also am into building free energy motors and systems, besides metal detecting.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many hobies!

You called?? Oh, I thought you were talking to me. LOL.

MDing is my new hobby, that I've always had an interest in. Which rekindled my coin collecting hobby of my youth.
I love bowhunting, waterfowl hunting, trapping, and do some fishing - but not as much as I used to.

OP
OP
Captain Wolfe

Captain Wolfe

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2007
Russellville AL
Detector(s) used
I don't really consider it a problem. I really love to play music. I began with the piano when i was 8. From there I went to drums, bass, clarinet, saxophone, Irish flute, penny whistle, lead and rythem guitar, dulcimer, and am currently studying violin. But I enjoy finding more things to learn and share with the boys!

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, Infinium LS, Tiger Shark. TDI, E-Trac/SR X-1, Vision/SR DX-1, Excalibur II
Hobbies! Hobbies everywhere! I came to the realization that I have too many hobbies too. At first, I believed that my lack of time was the result of work. I swore that when work interfered with my hobbies something would have to give. It did and I gave up work in order to devote more time to scuba diving, photography, boating and kayaking, watch collecting, collecting movies, triking on my Greenspeed, and MDing (water and land). In the end, I found that I had more time when I was working.

I guess I should have opened with "Hi, my name is John and I ...." :wink:

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like bottle collecting(found when metal detecting) ,garage saling,coin collecting(metal detecting of course!),antiqueing(from garage saling),etc.

MrsFury

Feb 26, 2006
LaPlace LA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
I'm with y'all. I adore old cemeteries, fishing, MDing, geocaching, crafts, painting, cooking, eating, I live for the beach and the woods, ghost hunting, herb gardening and I love research. I'm just now enrolling in a program to research Hansen's disease. How exciting!

oldschool

Jan 25, 2009
muskegon
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
well iam ready to give up ice fishing after yesterday so I may have time for another hobby for this time of the year! Spring,summer and fall I seem to keep busy.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
When I was a youngster, I read every book I could find on archeaology, actually, they were more like treasure tales to me...when I got into my teens and became socially unacceptable, I went to a boys camp for the same and had a chance to work with Cornell University on a burial ground at a proposed roadbed...Let me tell you, it wasn't anything like the stories that I read earlier in my life, alot of hard work digging with trowels and paintbrushes,but, it did give me an abiding interest in the past... now my interests are very eclectic....arrowheads, coins, fossils, clocks, antiques, almost anything rusty...lol. Haven't had the money to buy a MD yet, but I do believe that is in my new acquisition list for this year...Thanx for a great thread

josephpratt

Aug 10, 2011
5325 Clay Ter Ne, Washingt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many hobbies and i would like to do all of them whenever i free. I am fond of music.I like to sing songs and also play guitar.
As i am Interior Designer so like to do drawings. After this if i get time then i would like to go for traveling and playing adventurous sports!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread