SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brought a couple of bamboo flyrods from the early 50's back to life for a buddy last winter. They were stored in a garage and the bamboo sections were separating. They are now fishable.

P8250160.JPG

P8250163.JPG

P8250169.JPG

P8250175.JPG

P8250197.JPG

P8250200.JPG

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome work, I made a couple ice rods a few years back.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought an original Morrison, for $50, and sold it for $3,500.00 - Sweet Market! :skullflag:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen to grow a lot of varieties of bamboo on my property and I'm always catching kids trying to cut some down for a "fishing pole". I have to educate them that it isn't any good until a certain age. Love old bamboo poles.......

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an original Morrison, for $50, and sold it for $3,500.00 - Sweet Market! :skullflag:

Terry, bet that was a Garrison flyrod you sold! They are priceless!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, bet that was a Garrison flyrod you sold! They are priceless!

I think you are right. Show's how lucky I was to trip over that deal!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right. Show's how lucky I was to trip over that deal!! :occasion14:

You hit the jackpot there Terry! The buyer even got a deal! I have a first edition book titled, "A Master's Guide to Building a Bamboo Fly Rod" written by Everett Garrison with Hoagy B. Carmichael. The book alone is now worth over $200. Garrison only made around 650 flyrods.

OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work.
I have one in Mi. needing restored. Some day!

Check to see if there is any label or writing on the butt section just above the cork handle. They will be the more valuable rods.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Check to see if there is any label or writing on the butt section just above the cork handle. They will be the more valuable rods.

They are in the dehumidified basement I visit about once a month. Not sure which one is a Wards ( must be Montgomery/ monkey)Thoroughbred ,but think the one needing restoration is older. I'll check next time.

Mar 2, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been thinking about refinishing and restoring an old bamboo rod for a while, it will be great to see good article about doing it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work SD. im impressed.

Um... I have a corner out in Florida room that has at least errrrr ? ? ?

Not sure... picked them up over the years... most are signed by someone.

Also... I used to buy them for décor wayyyyy back... some with tubes.. some with box cases...

I used to find one a month for years... not anymore.

When I was still a picking newbie in the early 90's I went to Webster Flea Market and sold them for a penance compared to value now.

No idea what I had... BUT... I have an "excuse"... heh

See there WAS NO internet then... well there was... but no one had it... and even if ya did there was nothing on it... no info that is.

Everything I learned in my early days came from books... I would literally spend days on a single item researching every antique book in a bookstore.

Anyway...

You really had to shoot from the hip if you did not know AND OR couldn't locate a book with the info / price / value etc.

A lot of knowledge came from not what you knew.. BUT WHO you knew as well.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I just rememberd... bought one about a month ago that is 3 piece.. missing top section.

No sig.. alum hardware.

$1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Errr sorry... :/

Um... just remembered lol...

I have 3 more... although NOT fly... they are Deep sea ones.

2 of which have WOOD reels. :)

They are hanging above windows out there. heh

I don't think I have more than 60 bucks into ALL of the bamboo rods I own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
SD51

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work SD. im impressed.

Um... I have a corner out in Florida room that has at least errrrr ? ? ?

Not sure... picked them up over the years... most are signed by someone.

Also... I used to buy them for décor wayyyyy back... some with tubes.. some with box cases...

I used to find one a month for years... not anymore.

When I was still a picking newbie in the early 90's I went to Webster Flea Market and sold them for a penance compared to value now.

No idea what I had... BUT... I have an "excuse"... heh

See there WAS NO internet then... well there was... but no one had it... and even if ya did there was nothing on it... no info that is.

Everything I learned in my early days came from books... I would literally spend days on a single item researching every antique book in a bookstore.

Anyway...

You really had to shoot from the hip if you did not know AND OR couldn't locate a book with the info / price / value etc.

A lot of knowledge came from not what you knew.. BUT WHO you knew as well.

AARC, you have acquired quite a collection over the years. Reminded me of a bamboo flyrod I got in the 70's. A friend from work went to estate sales every weekend and I told him to call me if he ever found bamboo rods for sale. So one Saturday he calls and says there's a bamboo rod in a bag and a tube and the price is only $20. The tube alone is worth over $20 so he buys it.

He brings it to work and I can't believe what I'm looking at. The rod was never used and most likely was never removed from the bag and tube. "Genuine Tonkin" was handwritten on the rod along with the decal of the maker. Tonkin is the region in China where the finest bamboo in the world grows.

I showed the rod to two bamboo rod experts and they said this should be in a museum. I fished it one time in one of my favorite trout streams in PA, caught a brown trout and put it back in the bag / tube. Never know what you will find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread