Can you suggest what's the appropriate for hunting a coyote?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the thread pretty much has it covered.:laughing7:

My choice would be a mini-14. Any of the above would work just as good or better. Especially the the 50 BMG or Jeff of PA pic..:laughing7: Kind of depends on where your hunting too. I'm looking to get rid of pests over actually hunting them. So if they keep their distance I'm fine with them being there. When they start coming close then it's a problem for me.

I also think there is a little more to it than" what gun do I need to hunt coyote."...Location,budget, for sport or to get rid of close problems, etc......It's almost like saying..I want to drive offroad what vehicle do I need. I know guys that use 17mm too.

Where we camp they will come up within 10 yards or less...I could probably take one out with a Glock 9mm (just using that as an example since that's what I carry when there). I've never tried it.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pack of walker dogs and a 22-250....

also pretty good chance you have more then one coyote, best way to find out.... later into the night sound the horn on your vehicle for about 10 seconds when you let off listen they will start yipping...

we used to do this to check the woods for coyotes before letting our coon hounds out....

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I remember when I lived in Oklahoma and there were several guys that had Greyhounds (dogs) that they would use to catch them coyotes. They would have two different vehicles and they would stake-out a 640 acre (square mile) piece of property and if they knew if there was a coyote in there they would set those dogs after them. That was back in the 70s when there was an over population of coyotes and their fur was pretty reasonable. It was something to watch how fast those Greyhounds could catch up to those coyotes. They just didn't have a chance on open ground. The good old days.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only fair way to hunt( which I only use)
Is to jump on their back with a bear grills survival knife and decapitate them

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Need to buy a rifle to hunt a coyote.

Depends on whether or not, you want to preserve the pelt. I've called-in and killed dozens of them. I used everything from .22 rimfire magnum to a 22-250. In almost every case, I was hunting for fur.
Jim

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M1-A1 battle tank. There apparently is a coyote near me. I hear something outside at night, could also be a fox as one lives across the street. I am not interested in shooting it/them however.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, what's been suggested pretty much covers it from DC to Daylight...:icon_thumright:

Jim in Idaho is right...anything from a .22 mag (although a bit on the small side), to
most any centerfire cartridge.

Big question is, are you after a specific coyote, or just a good rifle to use
for coyote hunting? Any plans to save the pelt? Pelts are prime now, but
starting soon they'll begin to shed in preparation for Spring.

Any of the hotter .22 centerfire cartridges are fine, but in my experience
(about a thousand coyotes) a 22.250 will generally do more pelt damage
than a .243. I have no idea where you're located, but in general you're
looking for a caliber that is flat shooting and consistently accurate. I shot
a Remington 700 BDL in .243 with a Douglas Premium barrel, Timney
trigger and a 3.5x10 Leupold Gold scope. Hand loads with a Sierra 85gr.
boat-tail hollow point shot 5 round groups you could cover with a silver dollar
at 200 yds.

If you're looking to save/sell the pelt, don't take a broadside shot. Wait
till he's looking straight at you, and put it right in the middle of his chest.
Coyote drops on the spot, and the rib cage protects the pelt. FWIW, pelts
with holes are generally downgraded, an are difficult to sell.

I quit hunting about 18 years ago, and today I would have to ask myself..
"Do I really need to end this coyote's life?".

Amazing how life experience changes a man.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i would use a 223 or a 30-30

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve shot them with all sorts of weapons, my mini 14, my deer rifle (1895 mauser in .300 savage) and my 1864 Norris and Clement Springfield model .58 caliber rifle (which made a mess). My deer rifle did the best job due to the scope, range and knock down power but the factory rounds are expensive. All that said, any lever action rifle cambered for a pistol round (357, 44mag, 44-40,38sp) would be plenty of power at ranges under 100 yards. I’ve seen them taken with .22lr and .22 mag with head shots and similar ranges. My buddy who owns the land we deer hunt on in Vermont has a single shot H&R .223 with a 4 power scope and he swears by it and the whole set up cost him under $200. Anyway, good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread