mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
found these yesterday, the littlest ones will be used for gourd rattles, med for walking sticks, biggest for a bench. have to go back with a bigger, better saw, & shotgun, bunch of drunk rowdies were up the hill from me.

Attachments

• a couple sticks.jpg
    a couple sticks.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 486

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad gave me some of those once. I made a pyramid for my climbing rose and it looked really cool. I have never found any, is there a certain place or a typical state they grow in?

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Sara, I live in SE MO. the ones I find are wrapped in honeysuckle. I usually find them along roadsides & fence lines, but these I found in an abandoned area with relatively new growth. I bet the trellis is very nice. I hadn't thought about doing that.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
pic 1 never found one with a mini - burl on it. hoping a face might find it's way thru this one
pic 2 any suggestions on how to incorparate this into the cane? would seem wrong to not use it

Attachments

• stick2.jpg
    stick2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 422
  • club.jpg
    club.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 442

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made quite a haul Mamabear, you may be able to keep the 'burl' on the cane, if you are careful.
I have been making canes for about four years, (sell them at parks & festivals).
Here are pic's of some.
Fossis.............

Attachments

• Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 469
  • Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 433
OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
nice fossis. is it all one piece, or do you attach the handel? if so with what?

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
nice fossis. is it all one piece, or do you attach the handel? if so with what?

The one's with handles are 'Sumac', the main root is the handle.
A guy told me about them, just dig down, bend it over, trim the small roots, cut off,& peel, after drying about four days, they are ready for sanding & varnishing.
They are a 'pithy wood', but after drying, they are very strong.
I leave some the 'natural color,' stain or paint the others.
The only drawback is the 'sap', I use gloves when peeling.
I sometimes get some that the deer have 'rubbed with their antlers', then the scar healed over, leaving some nice patterns.
We better watch her River Rat, more competion. ;D
Fossis..............

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mamabear,

Those are some awesome finds...I love the spiral wood & yes, they're hard to find in the perfect size. What kind of wood is that?

What we have mostly is the Chinese Tallow (taking over), I'll find some with honeysuckler vines wrapped, I tried using baling string wrapped around to get the same effect, but the string rots too fast. Had an aerial spraying 2 years ago to kill out the tallow trees. Cypress is another wood I use, I like finding the ones where the worms had made holes in them...still hard to find those too.

Anyway, you do have something good going there...keep at it!!

Fossis has some mighty pretty sticks, but I don't have the right kind of sumac to make any.

Here's some of mine...made many to use as doorprizes at the last two TNet member's hunts. So quite a few of mine are located around the country.

;) RR

Hikingsticks2.jpg

Hikingsticks3.jpg

Hikingsticks4.jpg

Attachments

• Hikingsticks2.jpg
    Hikingsticks2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Hikingsticks3.jpg
    Hikingsticks3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 410
  • Hikingsticks4.jpg
    Hikingsticks4.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 389

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones with the 'bug trails' are neat, (only Mother Nature) can make something like that.

Fossis............

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
river rat, those are beautiful! I like the bug trails too. Is cypress hard to work with? I have maple, wild cherry, pine, sumac & oak sticks. I just found the cherry & the bark is so pretty I don't think I will peel it. I sent some out to Wa with my oldest daughter so she could sell them at the viking fest. but she gave them to her boyfriends nephews. they needed sticks to use in a native american rite. they were so pleased! & I am glad she gave them will have to send some more out to her though. ya know those vikings need their clubs! thanks for posting your pix. It's great to see them. & it's good to know there are other women out there doing this.

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mamabear,

I know this post is old,,,just wondering if you ever finished making a bench with your spiral wood sticks? Would love to see pics. it just sounded so interesting.

Lori

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread