Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Have been licensed for 25 yrs.
Have lots of t-shirts from events working EM-Comms.
Heck, I haven't bought a t-shirt in years! :)
Do not wish to post call sign here.
73's from 7 land.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Ive been a ham since the mid 70's, not active until weather radio alerts.
2mtr sounds like a CB radio now days, yes I have one of those as well.
Im not posting my call here either.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be....then got into computers and let my license lapse and never renewed..Still got all my old ham gear though..just in case..My old call sign was N4MBO....

Bullfrog1

Oct 24, 2008
I love radio of all sorts! For years I was a radio disc jockey. I had an F.C.C. First Class Radiotelephone License and now a General Classs Radiotelephone License. Over the past 33 years, I have various C.B radios (Base & Moble) and run about 600 watts of power! In amatuer, I have a Kenwwod 215A, 2M, hand held. Also love using my two frequency scanners! :blob1:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Gosh, haven't heard any 11 meter (CB) stuff in a long time.
Only use mine when 4 wheeling.
BTW HF is very poor here now.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grey....what kinda gear are you running. I always like the Yaesu..I have the FT 101 E and the FT 101 ZD if you remember those..also have a few 2 meter rigs in the closet.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SC Hunter -
Icom 718 for base and 706 for mobile plus a 2m/440 handeld.
Not as radioactive as I used to be but got 2 sons and XYL to get their tickets.
Still work Em-comms for Portland Marathon, haven't bought a t-shirt in yrs. LOL

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father was into ham radio and he collected many ham radio units. When he passed away in 2000, none of us family members are into the hobby. My mother has been trying to sell the equipment, some of them work, some don't work, some we do not even know if they work at all, some are chassis that have some gut's in them, but unsure it they work at all or need repair. My father was going to make all of them in working condition but he never got around to it prior to him passing in 2000. We do know from records from 1959-1998 he had spent over $35,000.00 total for all of the equipment thoughout those years as he always kept reciepts, where most or all the reciepts are now, I can't tell you and my mother has no idea, she thinks they were thrown away cleaning out junk, he also had his ham radio license. Some radios are from WW2 bombers like the B-29 and B-17's, others are from radio base stations. He has many parts, vaccuum tubes, etc, he also has many ham radio magazines from the 1950's up. My mother sold some of the equipment after his death to help pay for funeral costs. She did have 1 man come by last year and he was trying low ball her that he would give her $1,000.00 for the whole lot. Of course she told him were to go and she and we are NO DUMMIES. She lives in Baton Rouge, La.

If any of you KNOW of someone who can inspect the equipment so we can find out the value and also if one is interested in paying FAIR value for all of it or part of it. You can send me a PM with information. Otherwise it will just sit in the 75X15 back room of my mothers house collecting dust. The backroom is pretty much full, shelving and all with radios, parts, and equipment.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
While in Lady Lake Fla. Last year, I picked up A repair mans Ham equipment, many 2 meter mobile radios, buncha diodes, transistors, crystals for ham amd CB, Have about 150lbs. of this stuff, had a friend that is a Ham and he said nice stuff for a collector. He told me sell, the whole lot for 500 bucks no guarentee's.....NGE Akso have box of Mic's, power cords, misc. cables, some test equipment.

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Same here as SC_Hunter,(who is also a friend from way back.)
Got into computers and let my license lapse.
I still like listening to my scanners and shortwave sometimes.

Big Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something id want to get into on the cheap,any ideas?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDE said:
This is something id want to get into on the cheap,any ideas?
EDDE....The best thing to do is go to a "hamfest" near you. It is kinda like a big flea market. Try and find out who is a ham in your area and just ask him about the hobby. He will fill you in on all the specifics. They are usually a real talkative bunch.

Saddletramp

Greenie
Feb 2, 2009
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
MXT
EDDE Ham radio is fairly easy to get into and lots of fun also. Best bet is to find a ham radio club in your area and attend a few meetings or if there are none around order a Tech. class study guide from the American Radio Relay League. As far as radio expense they are like metal detectors. A entry level 2 meter rig can cost as little as $100.00 and you can build a simple dipole antenna for a few bucks. Then if you find you're really interested in amateur radio you can upgrade to a general then extra class license. Also the more your learn about amateur radio and how it works the more you will understand about how our metal detectors work.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Has Ham radio turned bad now that anyone can
get on?

I only did a bit of shortwave late at night, hunting
for different stations across the world.

Got a lot of cool "stuff" when I sent a report in that
I picked up the station.

have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

Saddletramp

Greenie
Feb 2, 2009
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
MXT
Shermanville, nah everything is alive and well in ham radio, some people were concerned about ham radio going down the tubes when they dropped the morse code requirement from the licensing process. I haven't found that to be a problem at all. There will always be a few bad apples in any hobby like the guys that leave gates open and holes unfilled. Thank goodness they are few and far between. Out of all my many hobbies over the years I can honestly say amateur/ham radio and Th'ing both have the best and friendliest people involved. :thumbsup:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never did get into the ham radio,mostly because i was really big in the 11 meter and was always talking with the locals or shooting skip.It has been awhile since i had a radio hooked up but was actually thinking of throwing a reunion party this year and see how many of the old CBer's show.

Nova Treasure

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Personally, I am absolutely clueless BUT I do have a few qualified co-workers who might take a look-see, that is if they're interested and have the time.

Shoot me a pM...we can take it from there, or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread