Let us Remember the True meaning for Memorial Day!!!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am including a write up about the true meaning of Memorial Day! As I put flags out with fellow American Legionnaires this past Tuesday, I was reminded of the True meaning of this Holiday. Please join me and give Thanks and a Prayer for those who have given their lives for our country and for those who are still serving and in harms way.

Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day because it was a time set aside to honor the nation's Civil War dead by decorating their graves. It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868, to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former sailors and soldiers. On May 5, 1868, Logan declared in General Order No. 11 that:

The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.
Memorial Day Celebrations

During the first celebration of Decoration Day, General James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, after which 5,000 participants helped to decorate the graves of the more than 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers buried in the cemetery.

This 1868 celebration was inspired by local observances of the day in several towns throughout America that had taken place in the three years since the Civil War. In fact, several Northern and Southern cities claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day, including Columbus, Miss.; Macon, Ga.; Richmond, Va.; Boalsburg, Pa.; and Carbondale, Ill.

In 1966, the federal government, under the direction of President Lyndon Johnson, declared Waterloo, N.Y., the official birthplace of Memorial Day. They chose Waterloo—which had first celebrated the day on May 5, 1866—because the town had made Memorial Day an annual, community-wide event during which businesses closed and residents decorated the graves of soldiers with flowers and flags.
American Veterans of Civil War, Spanish War and WWI

By the late 1800s, many communities across the country had begun to celebrate Memorial Day and, after World War I, observances also began to honor those who had died in all of America's wars. In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday to be celebrated the last Monday in May. (Veterans Day, a day set aside to honor all veterans, living and dead, is celebrated each year on November 11.)

Today, Memorial Day is celebrated at Arlington National Cemetery with a ceremony in which a small American flag is placed on each grave. Also, it is customary for the president or vice-president to give a speech honoring the contributions of the dead and lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. About 5,000 people attend the ceremony annually.

Several Southern states continue to set aside a special day for honoring the Confederate dead, which is usually called Confederate Memorial Day.

Attachments

• unknown-soldier.jpg
    unknown-soldier.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Memorial Day.jpg
    Memorial Day.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 272

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the post, Ringfinder. And thanks to all the men and women, at home and away that gave their lives, and to those that serve today.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My salute goes out to all veterans, living and dead , active duty and retired, as many have gave the ultimate sacrafice and are no longer with us. I have a great Uncle who is burried in the Philipines. He died during the Battan Death march during WW2. Our family has a marker remembering him. Unfortunately, my Great Grandparents didn't have the means to have his body transported back to Ohio. I don't know the reasoning. Maybe they just wanted to let him rest in peace

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Ringfinder, thank you! I'm still serving on active duty, it will be 20 years next month and it is Americans like you that make my sacrifices well worth it! And all the treasure net folks the same for you, we are Americans!!

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the post Denny!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
My father was a WWII vet and saw some pretty fierce action in Italy and Germany, besides being captured (and escaped) at least once. Couldn't imagine what it was like for him then and what it's like for those people fighting now. I know the only way I could get in the line of fire is if someone put my back up to it. Knowing that, saying 'Thanks' will never come close to the gratitude I have for those people who have and continue to fight for the things I have and sometimes take for granted. I only have respect for anyone who can be shot at and still keep charging on.

To all you vets who read and contribute to these posts...Thank you, and have at least one good day where people in this country should honor you directly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread