Class act observed on Clearwater Beach Florida

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I spent the better part of last week vacationing with my sons on Clearwater Beach. I didn't take a detector but dang it sure was fun watching the detectorists do their thing! Shallow water hunting appears to be as physically demanding as anything I've ever done with a detector, wow. You guys rock.

I was pleasantly surprised that each detectorist I spoke with was willing to take a minute to chat and share some tips, that was just awesome. One in particular is a Tnet member, I believe his user name is "Clyp". I wanted to thank him again for taking the time to answer my questions and share his knowledge with me. As he waded off in the distance, I glanced his way every now. I noticed at one point he stopped to retrieve something then immediately made his way to shore. I thought, man...he's found something good! I was getting ready to beeline over to him to see what it was when he handed whatever it was to a little girl on the beach!! I'm guessing by the smile on her face that it must of been a sea shell or maybe even a relic from the ocean floor.

Now that was a class act! I was even more honored to have shaken hands with Clyp. In the span of a few minutes, this gentleman represented himself, our hobby, this website and the City of Clearwater. Impressive to say the least. Contagious is more like it!

Jamie from Kentucky.

Clyp

Jul 1, 2006
South Central Orlando
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jamie

Wow I am speechless ;D Thanks for the kind words they are much appreciated!!

It was a Shell. It was a Large Conch ( no animal inside) and it had been at the bottom of my scoop along with some can slaw. I bring them home to my little girl regularly and I know what a thrill kids get when they get them. She had a very small collection and I had been watching her dart like a sandpiper from one broken shell to another.

She was very pleased I gave her a "treasure"

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
This is one of the most inspiring posts I've seen here. Jamie, it's great for you to take the time and effort to post such a positive message. Clyp, you rock! It's the little positive things like making the little girls day and taking time to answer questions that makes this hobby so enjoyable. Your a credit to the hobby and to mankind in general.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Way to go Clyp! A lot of people are afraid of detectorists hunting around crowds. Personally, I love the questions people, especially children, ask. I always enjoy giving away shells to people who are collecting them. They are always so suprised, and that makes it worthwhile. Not to mention the gratitude shown by them.

Now we just need to get you in the water as well Jamie! It truly is grueling and physically demanding, but it is very worthwhile if you persist at it. Hopefully next time you visit, youll be handing out shells to pretty young ladies :). Just be sure to leave some of the gold for your fellow hunter. Take some, but not all.

Anthony

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
What a great story! I am sure you made her day Clyp! It is great to see folks represent our hobby so well and even take time to make a lil girl smile!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Clyp!!! :headbang: :headbang:

It is the little things like this that gives our image a positive spin.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuddos! I love to do the same with the shells, cars, armymen, or other little trinket along the beach when I find them. The kids give you a big ol smile that makes your day. The older kids love the ate up pennies, because they don't what they are and its something like a treasure hunt to discover whats under all that junk.

I am proud of you for taking time to chat with others as well all to often we hear how rude or unfriendly the detector people are, and this is from others here who detect. Its nice to have a positive story now.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah the look of joy on a childs face -- priceless.

Loosemoose

Jun 13, 2007
Sydney Australia
Detector(s) used
Excal
Clyp, class act all the way, truly there is more pleasure in the giving than receiving, and 1320 to take the time to tell us about what you saw is a credit to you in this all too busy world, this story is the essence of Tnet, I just wish there was a banner for this sort of post.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Kudos, Clyp, for showing the best side of our hobby!! :hello2:

And thanks to 1320 for sharing this story! :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it's people like you Clyp that make me glad that I'm a MD'er
Thank you

Sniffer

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personal friend of Clyp, class act in all ways..................

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Way to go Clyp. Sends a nice positive message to kids and parents that are always observing us.

By the way....never did find those keys or anything other than can-slaw.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clyp way to go that is the kind of thing that makes the world just right! That little one will remember what a treasure you gave her!

Jamie you totally rock tellin the world about someone else good deed!

Now you both deserve to find a ton more treasure like you've just shared and the other kind too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread