1964 Award Pin Info Needed ? SOLVED.....UPDATE

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
i found this pin tonight at a circa 1850's house wasn't deep but it's all beat up
i was wondering if anyone here could ID the front.....what do all them images mean ?
the pin is 5/8" long and 9/16" wide
on the back it says 19 64
EDGAR FAHS
SMITH AWARD
Owner's Name
10K & makermark

i found out Edgar Fahs Smith was with the American Chemical Society 3 time Pres.
1895, 1920, and 1921 co - founder of 2 divisions 1. Chemical Education
2. History of Chemistry and there are 2 sponsers 1. University of Penna. 2. ? ?
thats all i know i'll let it up to you experts to help me out on this :)
IMG_5133_2.jpg

!1index.jpg

!2.jpg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1964 Award Pin Info Needed ?

Looks like a fraternity pin to me. I'm no good a Greek letters but someone here surely is. Monty

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

trikikiwi said:
Phi Kappa Psi
The pin is shown here
http://www.phikappapsi.com/Home/Index/main

Mike
WOW , i enjoyed reading that thanks for the link trikikiwi :thumbsup:
i wish my pin was in A 1 shape like the one shown on the link oh well lol
when i dug it i thought is that the EYE..........Mason thanks to you now i know :)
i assume it's 10K ? it sure is heavy for a little pin like that
i'm only a high school graduate can you tell me what Psi stands for ?
and the name Michael xxxxxx is he the person who would've received this pin ?
maybe i could return it ? ?

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

Monty said:
Looks like a fraternity pin to me. I'm no good a Greek letters but someone here surely is. Monty
thanks for the reply Monty you were "right on" :thumbsup:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike, I think it will be a very cool karma enhancer for you to track down Mr xxxxx (and yet another Mike - we're everywhere ;D )
E-mail the Fraternity, the link's at the bottom of their home page. They might be keen to assist you. Just don't send it to them "to pass on" :icon_pirat: :wink:

Mike

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

trikikiwi said:
Mike, I think it will be a very cool karma enhancer for you to track down Mr Bxxxxx (and yet another Mike - we're everywhere ;D )
E-mail the Fraternity, the link's at the bottom of their home page. They might be keen to assist you. Just don't send it to them "to pass on" :icon_pirat: :wink:

Mike
i agree we're everywhere lol after i replied to you w/ more questions i realized with the link you
gave me all the answers are right there :tard: i will contact them and see if i can get this returned to
the owner i did my research and i was at a dead end and in less than an hour Monty gave me an ID
and you provided me with all the information i needed "Thanks so Much" only on T Net :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1964 Award Pin Info Needed ? SOLVED

My son was in a fraternity and somehow they keep up with him and he gets mail from them all the time, usually wanting contributions. So, they may have an address for your guy. Also, those pins are usually 14 k gold. Monty

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Re: 1964 Award Pin Info Needed ? SOLVED

Monty said:
My son was in a fraternity and somehow they keep up with him and he gets mail from them all the time, usually wanting contributions. So, they may have an address for your guy. Also, those pins are usually 14 k gold. Monty
i'll be contacting them today Monty i'm figuring the guy is in his 60's ? i guess it's hard to see in the
3rd photo this one is a 10K and unfortunately, this pin is really beat up bad have a good day :)

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
well, i called the number on the web site you're right Monty they said if you can send it to us
we'll be glad the owner recieves it lol i said NOT !! If you can provide me with his phone number
i'll handle it my way they said they can't give out that information so i gave them my ph. number
a 1/2 hr. went by and the phone rings it's Michael xxxxxx WOW turns out he's a professor at
university an hour and a half away AND HE WAS ROBBED about 1 YEAR AGO :o oh man
he'd like to know where it was found so he can inform the authorities :o i said there is no way
this could be your pin it was 2 1/2" deep in a yard and it looks like it was driven over by a ? ?
i asked if he had ever been in the town i found it he said NO also he had a few pins like that
one had an id number on the back i said this one doesn't well, someone here had to use the
phone so he gave me 2 numbers to call him back which i'll do but > how do i know < this is the
right Michael Barton who owned this pin ? ?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would he have known to call you and known your number if the fraternity folks didn't give it to him? You can be pretty sure it's him. Monty

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Monty said:
How would he have known to call you and known your number if the fraternity folks didn't give it to him? You can be pretty sure it's him. Monty
they didn't give me his info so i gave them my phone number and i just got off the phone
with him we've come to the conclusion that the robbery happened about Jan. of last year
which means SNOW i found it in the yard about 10 feet in from the road seems to me a
snow plow threw it up in the yard last winter that explains why it's so beat up
he's going to send me a self adressed stamped envelope for me to send it to him he did say
he would " reward me kindly " for returning it but, i declined i did say if he could send me a
" thank you letter " after he recieves it that would be cool too far away to get a photo for me
so i'll be waiting for the mail to arrive :)

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Mike :thumbsup:
Hope you will share the letter with us when you receive it :occasion14:

Mike

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
trikikiwi said:
Well done Mike :thumbsup:
Hope you will share the letter with us when you receive it :occasion14:

Mike
thanks trikikiwi :)
as soon as i recieve the letter might take a week or two ? i'll be glad to share it with everyone HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought if it was stolen & Thrown out there
there may be other items of his there somewhere.

Maybe if not too much Trouble,
when you mail it out
Ask him What other items may be missing yet.

Is there also a possability a Family Member of the home
you are doing,
at that time a year ago was a thief & buried it in the yard ?

Could be a few intresting finds there yet.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
jeff of pa said:
Just a thought if it was stolen & Thrown out there
there may be other items of his there somewhere.

Maybe if not too much Trouble,
when you mail it out
Ask him What other items may be missing yet.

Is there also a possability a Family Member of the home
you are doing,
at that time a year ago was a thief & buried it in the yard ?

Could be a few intresting finds there yet.
Jeff, when i talked to him on the phone he said his jewelry box was stolen i said if they were after
metals $$ why chuck it he had the right answer his name was on it i do have an idea where they
chucked it ? as far as the family that owns the house 100% reputable both are in their 80's
i only searched the right front side of the house which is a very small area there could be another
one on the left side too ? it's odd i'm there to search for a gold wedding band the owner lost and
i end up finding this lol HH

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote"Jeff, when i talked to him on the phone he said his jewelry box was stolen i said if they were after
metals $$ why chuck it he had the right answer his name was on it i do have an idea where they
chucked it ? as far as the family that owns the house 100% reputable both are in their 80's " unquote

Never trust those 'old folks' , they know EVERY trick in the book :laughing7:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he had more than one of them I am betting he just dropped it and didn't miss it until after the break in. Monty

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Monty said:
If he had more than one of them I am betting he just dropped it and didn't miss it until after the break in. Monty
you could be right Monty ? all i know is i found a pin with a name was on it i did my part
to contact him and now i'm waiting for a letter with an address so i can return it to the owner
i just hope he comes through when he said he'll send me a thank you letter after he recieves it
i thought for sure i'd have that letter by today gotta wait an see maybe Monday ?

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
hi everybody :) i finally recieved the letter in the mail from the owner of the pin he wrote it
the day we talked on the phone - the 5th he must be a busy man because he mailed it on the 10th
and i got it yesterday the 12th the pin was mailed " TODAY - 13th " to be with it's rightful owner
i'm not sure if he will send me a thank you letter when he recieves the pin or if the letter that
came with the return envelope is the thank you letter this one says please send it i'd like one that
says " thank you for returning it " guess i'll know in a week or so either way he's happy+ i'm happy
i could'nt have done it without the help i got from the ones who replied to this post :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
thought i'd show everyone where it was found see the curb see the bush i think snowplow ?
IMG_5172_2.jpg
here's everything in the envelope
IMG_5180_2.jpg
and the letter
IMG_5177_2.jpg

almost 2 yrs. since i found some gold and i got to return another lost item yup, i had a good 08
good luck out there @ HH everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread