Christmas Eve Miricale..........True Story

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
My wife has taken photos and written a much better story but I have no idea how to post it here.

Last nite we were monitoring the scanner here at home and heard our local fire dept get toned out for a call about 2 miles from our house .........reported elderly male slid off ice covered road and into a creek. Water coming into the car and he said he was cold and hurry.
Told wifey......we can beat the rescue folks by many many minutes due to a whiteout and blowing a good 30 to 40 mph winds.
She said lets go.
I was dressed w/in 30 seconds and throw my leather boots on and grabbed my Carhart jacket and we were out the door.
The car was closer than the driver reported, saw tail lights through the blowing snow, jumped out and ran down the steep creek bank and could see someone behind the wheel.
Didnt have my truck or my first aid kit....chit chit chit.
We both forgot our cellphones, double fark.
I went or slid down the creek bank and slid into the water over my knees pulled myself back out and ran to wifeys car, dug out her tire iron and bashed out the passengers rear window to talk to the driver, he said the water is getting deeper, but he wasnt injured.
Another vehicle stopped, I had asked that fellow to please call 911 and told rescue to expedite and gave the real incident location. Another volunteer firefighter stopped by and he fell into the creek same as me. I pulled him out and then we went with plan B. Another approach!
We finally got more help there and 2 firefighers and me pulled the gentleman out of the icy water and out of his car. We were pulling him up a snot covered sloped ditch, one of the firefighters slid into the creek.
Im lying on the slope with the elderly gentleman on top of me, 2 firefighter pulling on me trying to get up the bank as well.
I thought we all were gonna go back down the bank into the farking creek.
God bless my wife as she helped carry this hypothermic gentleman through knee deep snow wearing her pajamas and jacket, and get him to saftey.
We got the gentleman on a back board and into a 4 door pickup.
Farking ambulance arrived 10 minutes after we got the man in the heated cab of a pickup truck and he should be fine.
Ambulance arrives, we get him onto the cot, loaded into the ambulance.
I talked w/the fire chief and the deputy sherrif and told them what me and wifey did and they thanked me and my frozen wife and our wet asses are now were home, trying to dry out our clothes and we both was soaked to the bone.
But it was a good feeling to us both.

Guess that should make my momma proud, its a definate miracle for that man on Christmas Eve.

I think somebody upstairs told us to go and help, and it dont get no better than that IMHO.

I really needed something other than doing bbq today to make me happy, taking my mind off the loss of mom and actually helping to save another life.

Mike

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That is awesome Mike! So glad you were able to help! That gentleman will not likely ever forget what you guys went through to get him out to safety and warm again. You and your family are in my prayers of course and I am sure you will get a double blessing for your caring heart as well! ~hugsnprayers~

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Very Very Merry Christmas I think it was meant to be from above but, I also think your mom had a hand in it to!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That poor gentleman needed a hero last night. I think he was doubly blessed and got two! :wink:

Wonderful story! Merry Christmas!

Nana :wink:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arise, Sir Michael and Sir'ess Wife :headbang: :hello2: :angel5: :angel9: :occasion18: :wav:

Good on you :thumbsup:
Mike.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
That's the way to do it Mike. Mama is proud! Merry Christmas to you and your wife.

Desertfox

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
We were pulling him up a snot covered sloped ditch, one of the firefighters slid into the creek.
Im lying on the slope with the elderly gentleman on top of me, 2 firefighter pulling on me trying to get up the bank as well.

You're Batman, aren't ya??? ::)

Excellent work. I'm glad your wife and you heard the scanner. Heros are defined as someone who doesn't concern themselves with life and limb to help someone else. You and your wife's picture should be the new definition.

DM

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Not Batman..... Aqua Man ;D

You did a good thing. What goes arround comes arround. Some day, some how you will be rewarded.

VPR

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YA BUM! Are you and your wife trying to tarnish our dectorists' reputation of doing some good? Watchit in the future bud !.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Should we expect anything less from YOU? Congrats my friend.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Christmas Miracle Indeed', you both did Good.

Fossis...............

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Wow, what a story. That is a Christmas the will be remembered for many many years. Hope the gentleman in the car is OK. Kudos for you and you wife for being there to help.

Ray S :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Sweet. Job well done. Others should be less selfish and help others.

MeAndMyAce

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2008
I agree with the other post about this being headline news.

Your mom was your guardian angel, making sure nothing happened to you and your wife while you did this AWESOME good deed.

May God Bless you and your wife. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and the New Year brings you and your wife lots of joy.

Sue

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Good evening, Mike,

Wow, I agree with these other posts. That was a pretty heroic thing you and your wife did. Congratulations on your
quick actions.May god bless you both many times over. The guy in the car was blessed too, by having his life saved instead of losing it, which is something, i'm sure, he'll never forget.

And the other responders should also be remembered in our thanks for their parts.

That is an action-packed Christmas story with a wonderful ending.

Would have answered this sooner but missed it with Christmas activities and our bus tour. We left early Friday to go
up to Sault Ste Marie. Got back home late Sat night. Boy, what wild and weird weather we went through. Deep snow and
very cold when we leftand and warm and windy when we got back and the snow is gone except for a few snowbanks.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you wrote it up. I enjoyed reading it. Also I'm very sorry for the loss of your
Mom. Our Prayers go out to you and your family.

Ray

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Way to go :thumbsup:

Always inspiring when somebody answeres the call to help a fellow human being, especially in this case. Many blessings for you and your wifes actions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions