watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last fall while hunting a scout camp with Kimsdad and Des Plaines Silver Bob, I found a 10K gold 1971 class ring
from one of the local high schools that was buried under an old tree.

DSC_6811.JPG

In December, I was able to look at a 1971 yearbook from that school and found a name that matched the
initials inscribed on the ring. I "Googled" the student's name and was able to get a phone number so I
made the call. At first, the ring's owner thought I was trying to sell him something but after asking him if
he attended the high school on the ring, he became more curious. I then asked if he still had his high
school class ring and he replied: "I lost it right after my parents bought it for me. . . it was gold and had
a green stone with the school's logo on it." When I told him I had found it, there was dead silence on the
phone. . . he then said "I'm speechless." I sent it back to him just in time for Christmas. . . he said that he
wanted to give it to his teenage son.

In a way, I was sad to see the ring go. . . it was the first gold ring I ever found. . . but still very happy
that I was able to track down it's owner.

There's sort of an interesting "twist" to this story because during my last hunt in 2008, I found my SECOND
gold class ring about 10-days after I returned my first one back to it's owner. Here's a picture that one. . . more
research is in the works. . . I have a full name inscribed on this one :wink:

DSC_8821.jpg

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Great going Mark,
Congrats!

You made someone's day a whole lot brighter.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
You did just what I thought a man of your character would do.Great find and terrific job in research and a great act of honesty. :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way To Go Buddy!!!!!!!!!

Super Fantastic

Now That's what this Hobby is About !!!!!!!!!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
You RULE!

That is surely a demonstration of integrity, and will reflect highly on our hobby. Karma will not come around to bite you in the butt, but may kiss your butt instead lol. ;D

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice job, Mark!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king:

Looks like you have some wintertime research cut out for you with that second ring. I hope you get to find a "keeper" gold ring soon!!
Neil

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG on that!! I was just strting out last year and found my first class ring from 1986. It was an easy return as the town is small. It's a good feeling when you do that :thumbsup:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great Return!

I really like reading these kind of stories. I congratulate you on your integrity.

It's sad when a "cold" call out of the blue disturbs some people. I had that experience trying to return a WW2 dog tag. The elderly wife just figured I was scamming her and hung up with a "I don't want it." But we gotta try.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread