Lost Ring Returned

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Sunday morning sitting in the choir room! Choir director ask if I still did that metal detecting thing lol. I said always, why? It seems her brother-in-law lost a very special ring, could I please try to find it. How could I turn down my choir director, if I find it she will have to let me sing more!!!! Oh where are the ear plugs! Contacted her brother-in-law and scheduled to meet him after church! After meeting him he informed me that he lost it in a small area on the coldest night in Florida, he had removed it and put it on his right hand because his finger was swollen. He got out of his car and had just stepped onto the grass, when he felt the ring slip off his finger. He searched the area for almost a month with no luck, he even thought about renting a detector, then he thought it might be better to just burn off the grass!!! I ask him what was special about the ring, it was a 30th wedding anniversary present from his wife. She had taken his original gold wedding band and some silver that had sentimental importance and had a special meaning for the both of them and made him this special ring. So I pull out my Fisher CZ power it up, and started to swing away. Beep no way this could be it I haven't even got through the first complete swing yet, it looks to be the correct reading for a ring. I knelt down put my finger into the center of the coil area still not seeing anything. Darn if my finger didn't slide right into the ring. All I could think of was no way I have never recovered a ring this fast. I stood up held out my finger and he starts jumping and shouting in disbelief that I found it so fast, he was one happy man! The great thing about the recovery of his lost ring was that he was very accurate as to what he was doing and the surrounding area where he lost his ring. He ask how much I wanted for a reward. I said his smile and his joy was all the reward needed. Then I remembered the camera in the truck, and ask if we could get a picture with us together. The photo is Mr. Lyons on the left with the ring back on his finger. I was smiling for the rest of the day.

Attachments

• Mr. Lyons.JPG
    Mr. Lyons.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 435

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
NICE! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great that you had the camera too. The photo is a great reminder.

You're right about getting an accurate fix on the location. I've tried locating losses from Craigslist and some people have 4 different locations in mind. There's just no way.

As far as rewards...I'm kinda having mixed feelings about that. I feel a reward is justified ALWAYS...but it depends how it's approached and done. I never would demand one but always have at least one refusal to give.

HH Joe

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find. You will now be the talk of the Choir.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread