$5000 Diamond and Ruby wedding ring found and returned

pj4566

Jul 2, 2007
monarch pass drive, colorado springs, colorado
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & whites bullseye2 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went on vacation for a week in Ft. Myers Florida area the last week of March 2009. This was our second time there but the first time I took my Whites XLT with me. On our first day going to the beach we went to Captiva Island beach. I put my detector together and started working the beach while the family played in the water. I found a few cents in clad in about an hour when a woman walked up to me. She asked me if I could come and look for her wedding ring which she had lost the previous day. I replied that I would be happy to try but could not guarantee success. I went over to where she had lost both her rings. She told me that they had searched for several hours the day she lost them but only managed to find the plain band. luckily her husband had the sense to mark off the area where she had lost them. I asked how she came to lose them and she said she removed them to put lotion on her daughters back, putting them in her lap. She forgot about them and got up, dropping them in the sand without realising it.
Once I got to the area I started searching. I got a signal almost immediately, only a dime and a penny. I moved a beach chair over and swung the coil about half a dozen times and got another signal.
I scooped up some sand and there was her ring. It had several large Diamond's and Ruby's in a white gold band. The lady was so happy I thought she was going to cry. She said she wanted to pay me a reward but I told her it was not necessary, the smile on her face was reward enough. She ran int her resort and I went back down the beach to detect some more. About half an hour later a guy comes up to me and says he is the woman's husband. He tells me that I saved him about $5000 in Diamond's and Ruby's, then he handed me a $50 reward. I told him I didn't ask for one but he insisted I take it so I thanked him.
The only mistake I made was not getting a picture of the ring and the lady when I gave it to her. I completely forgot about my cell phone camera, but at least there was a happy ending to that day.
I hunted a couple of more beaches while in Florida for total of about $3 in clad, nothing much to brag about but I had fun.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was nice of you to finding it and returning to her :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great day for you and the owner of the ring.....Matt

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working the beaches for coins...........$3.00
Making someone happy...................Priceless!

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
That will always be a memorable hunt for you. Well done! Your unselfish act gives us all a good name. Thanks!

Baldingboy

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I have the chance to help someone like that someday!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a memorable vacation that will be for you!

You are a fine ambassador for our hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread