The Class Ring Reunion

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've found a lot of things metal detecting. I've found cobs, gold and platinum wedding rings with diamonds, a gold and stainless steel Rolex worth thousands, but one thing that has eluded me was a gold class ring. I never got a class ring when I was in high school. One, because I wasn't sure I'd graduate and two, we really couldn't afford it. Well, yesterday I found one and it's a nice one. I easily knew what it was and quickly tucked it in my pouch as not to draw attention. When I got back to my truck I was amazed at the size and then i noticed it said "class of 2010" on it with the high school and kids name. At that second my heart got heavy, because I thought how upset this kid had to be to lose such a nice ring before he was even a senior. Well, I'm pretty good at using the computer so I quickly tracked down the kid's high school and contacted his guidance counselor. I told her how and where I found and gave the boys name and she quickly laughed and said she gladly pass on my number to his mom because he was a minor. It only took about an hour for good old mom to call. His mom said he went beach fishing with his dad on Easter Sunday and lost it casting his fishing rod. She said they even hired a person to metal detect the area and look for it. Then she asked the all important question "Do I owe you anything?" I just laughed and said "Just help out someone when you can". So we decided we'd meet up on Saturday morning and I'd turn the ring back over to them. I would of loved to have added the ring to my gold pile being it weighs 16.5 grams, but that 16.5 grams will mean a whole lot more to that boy. Besides.... Maybe it'll make him have a better outlook on life and people as a result.

Attachments

• Will class ring 4.jpg
    Will class ring 4.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 470
  • Will class ring 3.jpg
    Will class ring 3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 462

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I'm not one of those people who- as a general rule- believe in giving back jewelry I find
I work too hard for it!
However, like you I suspect, I will make an occasional exception if the circumstances warrant
You made a good call in this case. :icon_sunny:
Now get back to pirating! :icon_pirat:

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome! It was the right thing to do. Detectors need all the good press and vibes we can get. It will come back to you in some form. Great find and a good deed!

Darrell

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 - Nice ring

2 - You doing a good deed will bring you more later, even if it makes you just feel better.

3 - It will show him that there are many good people in this world and hopefully steer him in the right direction in life.  All of us need a little guidance here and there.

4 -  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5 - Congratulations for doing such a good thing.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I know it probably hurt to give it back, but it was the right thing to do
good job

Sniffer

OP
OP
Hangingfor8

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well, the ring is safely in the hands of the young boys mom. It felt good to finally be able to give something back. This hobby has been really good to me :wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread