2 rings returned to family includes 1952 class ring

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Well, just as the video for the news said i found these in a Friends yard yesterday and was able to make contact with brother of the lady that lost it back in 52. Within 45 minutes of finding the ring i had made my way to the high school that i assumed she went to and found her picture in the 1952 year book. All i had to go off of were her initials that were in the inside band of the ring. After i found her full name i went over to the school board building where there is a man over there that does nothing but deal with Minot Public School System Alumni. At the time he didn't have much information for me because she had surely been married by then and her last name had changed. I told him that i would do some research when i got home and would talk to him in the morning and let him know what i had found. As soon as i got home i went to looking. The internet came up with absolutely NADA, so i remembered a book that i bought a while back on the history of Minot. The book covered the past 100 years and also had a detailed list of families that were in the area and helped make the town what it is today. I opened it up and sure enough i found the family in there with a picture that was taken in 1958. There were all girls and one boy. I was thinking to myself as i went for the phone book that i sure do hope that the only boy in the family didn't decide to move away because that was my only hope in finding the owners. Luckily enough he was still in the area so i called him up last night and started the routine of asking questions about whether or not he had a sister and whether or not she spent any time around the house that i found the ring at. Of course, after my questionnaire to determine that he in fact was the brother i asked him about the ring. Poor fellow, the first thing he said when i asked him whether he would be interested in having it back was along the line of whether or not i was wanting to get something in return for returning the ring. I assured him that i did not want anything at all in return and he decided to meet me this morning. And that was that. The gentleman that i went to originally looking for information was the one that was so impressed that he wanted to get the media involved. Which is fine with me. I am just happy that i was able to get on the news and hopefully give people a good perspective of our hobby. The pictures that i took are from last night. I also found a silver ring that i returned to Curtis that he wore when he was in high school that once belonged to his father. So all in all i returned 2 family heirlooms today. By the way, the lady that lost it has since passed away and that why i gave it to the brother. Mother is still alive and kicking at 94 down in Arkansas. The link will take you to one of the new stations that covered the story this morning. I like the second one better, but they haven't put it on the website yet. I will post it as soon as they have it up. Enjoy and thanks for reading. http://www.kxmc.com/video.asp?ArticleId=372937&VideoId=27952

Clay

Attachments

• IMGP0671.JPG
    IMGP0671.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 782
  • IMGP0672.JPG
    IMGP0672.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 933

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
It was a great gesture to return the ring and some excellent sleuthing to track down the family. :thumbsup:

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay, great job brother ! You made a family very happy for sure and also put a positive light on the hobby! Banner! :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you was able to track down the family. You did a good job....Matt

Kudzu

Greenie
Mar 18, 2009
Auburn Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7A Pro, Whites V3
That was just GREAT!!! Wish someone would find mine...lost it 35 years ago, still hope left.
Bob

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:thumbsup :thumbsup:

Great Research ... Great Work ...YEAH! That's what it's all about!

HH Joe

OP
OP
jonnyrebel00

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Where did you find it to read it online? Did it get farther out than just here local?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread