Is anyone good at Genealogy? Heirloom Returned!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Is anyone good at Genealogy?

Harry V. Jarrett was in the Army during WWII....
(son of Dorothy C. Thomas and Harry E. Jarrett)
There's also a pic of Harry...looks like circa 1980's)

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
Name: Harry V Jarrett
Birth Year: 1923
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: Missouri
State of Residence: Missouri
County or City: St Louis City
Enlistment Date: 21 Jan 1943
Enlistment State: Missouri
Enlistment City: Jefferson Barracks
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 1 year of high school
Civil Occupation: Shipping and receiving clerks
Marital Status: Single, with dependents
Height: 67
Weight: 147

I also left a comment on the photo of Harry V. Jarrett. Since they updated on 11 May 2009, maybe, just maybe, they have their account set up to receive notifications of messages / comments. This is what I said:

"To the owner of this tree. Please contact me. You have no POC on your profile. I have a friend who is trying to contact next of kin to Elihu Thomas, which you list in your tree and is the person in question. It's a good thing!! :) Trying to do some research to find a living relative. Hope to hear from you soon, since I noticed you updated your family tree on 11 May 2009. :) Thank You, Annmarie"

I did NOT want to give the reason as to why...just in case, they may not be a relative, but helping someone do their tree. That happens alot :)...

Let's see where this takes us! :)
Annmarie

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

auferret said:
Ask and you shall receive. I found a family tree.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=DESC&db=dmcolby&id=I27432

The email for the contact is [email protected]
This may be easier than we think. On the link I posted, there is a link to the "Colby Connection". On that page is a list of notable people included in the family tree. The very last name is none other than former Vice President Cheney.

Here is another email address I found for Ronald Colby in Utah [email protected]

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I may be barking up the wrong branch of the family tree. I think Annmarie is on the right path. I think this is the 1930 census info on Harry Jarrett from footnote.com. It is a pay site so I could not go further there.

… Missouri » ST. LOUIS » RICHMOND HEIGHTS CITY, WARD 4 » 95-52 » Sheet 5A

1. Jarrett, Harry E (b: 1886*)

Household:
Jarrett, Harry V (b: 1924*)
Jarrett, Dorothy C (b: 1898*)
Jarrett, Gloria F (b: 1920*)
Jarrett, Dorothy G (b: 1922*)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

No reply on my end yet....will give another look through and see if I can find anything else. Outback...have you heard anything back on your emails?
Annmarie

PS: I found a way to contact that person I contacted a few days back. I don't think my original msg went through, as I don't find anything in my SENT BOX. After searching some more...I found this person had another family tree up and this one had a contact link!!!! This is what I wrote:

"........Hello, I am writing in hopes to hear from you. My husband and I do alot of metal detecting and we belong to a metal detecting forum. A fellow detector found something that he would love to return to a living descendent of Elihu B. Thomas that he recently found while detecting. If you contact me, I will give you the information to reach him and then the conversation will be between the two of you. I was asked if I could help locate a living relative. I do hope to hear from you. I will let him know I found a contact with a connection to Elihu B. Thomas. I looked at your other tree (also named Jarrett Family Tree...but I guess my message did not go through. I hope this one gets to you. Looking forward to hearing from you. You will like what he found :)

Best Regards,
Annmarie LaDue...."

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: by the way...here's a pic of Elihu B. Thomas

Attachments

• 5-19-2009 5-04-40 PM.jpg
    5-19-2009 5-04-40 PM.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,366

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Outback.... CONTACT MADE!!! His great great granddaughter!!! I sent you a PM.
Annmarie

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron and Ann said:
Outback.... CONTACT MADE!!! His great great granddaughter!!! I sent you a PM.
Annmarie

THAT's Great!!!!, I PM'd you back and waiting for a phone call.

Thanks for all your help!

Don

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is anyone good at Genealogy? The end of the story is near!

I just got off the phone with Elihu's Great, Great Granddaughter Karen. Karen lives in Oklahoma and can't believe our story. She is very excited, she can't believe we plan on giving it to her and asking nothing in return. Because of the holiday weekend we will not be able to travel to Oklahoma to return the coin until next weekend. I have contacted the Oklahoman (newspaper) to see if they want to cover the story and hope to hear from them tomorrow.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm glad I PMed you, Don. As you can see Annmarie gets on the ball with things like this. I'm so thrilled that y'all found someone to return the coin to. Hope you told Karen to be sure to log on to TNet to read about this. Get plenty of pics and news; great publicity.

I just love stories as this one, you guys deserved a big thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wink: RR

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job Annmarie! I look forward to seeing the article.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

OutBack Duo said:
I just got off the phone with Elihu's Great, Great Granddaughter Karen. Karen lives in Oklahoma and can't believe our story. She is very excited, she can't believe we plan on giving it to her and asking nothing in return. Because of the holiday weekend we will not be able to travel to Oklahoma to return the coin until next weekend. I have contacted the Oklahoman (newspaper) to see if they want to cover the story and hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Great job everybody! :thumbsup:

Ron and Ann, you are the perfect representation of what helps make TNET and its members so great! :headbang:

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Awww shucks! Wasn't nothing to it! Thanks everyone, esp for your confidence in me and to River Rat for recommending me for this challenge!!! :)

Outback....did the newspaper call you back? I hope they do an article on it...that would be something!

Packer....Blue :)

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just to let everyone who doesn't already know:

My wife Becky and I will be leaving next Saturday (May 30th) around 5am to present the coin back to E.B. Thomas' descendents. The presentation is going to take place at The Great Southwest Historical Museum in Ardmore, OK around 5pm. We will take lots of pictures and also get any newspaper articles that make it to print. 3 different newspapers have been invited.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this especially Annmarie (Ron and Ann) and Judy (River Rat)

Don

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

OutBack Duo said:
Just to let everyone who doesn't already know:

My wife Becky and I will be leaving next Saturday (May 30th) around 5am to present the coin back to E.B. Thomas' descendents. The presentation is going to take place at The Great Southwest Historical Museum in Ardmore, OK around 5pm. We will take lots of pictures and also get any newspaper articles that make it to print. 3 different newspapers have been invited.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this especially Annmarie (Ron and Ann) and Judy (River Rat)

Don

Awesome DON!!! Looking forward to hearing about your meeting and adventure!!! I know she's just as excited, I know I would be!

I have not been on lately, as I can't access TNet from my laptop and I'm afraid to log out of TNet from the family PC to get it straight...once I get everything squared away...I'll be back...Marc's been notified...the email to reset my password is not working for me :(

BTW Don...that's a great day to return the coin...it's my birthday :) hehehee. Wishing you and your wife safe travels!
Annmarie

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:This is a great story, can't wait for the ending... Great work all, you make TNET Great :wav:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story with a fantastic outcome! Its a great thing to be able to return something to a descendant, I wish I could attend but, i don't think at this time we will be able to if things change would love to come and meet you and see yours and their smiles!

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mental Granny said:
Great story with a fantastic outcome! Its a great thing to be able to return something to a descendant, I wish I could attend but, i don't think at this time we will be able to if things change would love to come and meet you and see yours and their smiles!

If anyone is in the area of Ardmore, OK and would like to attend let me know. I will make sure you are notified if time or place changes. I always look forward to meeting other T-netters.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello2: I may have one less coin in my collection but in return we have a bunch of new friends.
The coin has been returned to the descendents of E.B. Thomas. :hello2:

Attachments

• all1.jpg
    all1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,036

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread