Is anyone good at Genealogy? Heirloom Returned!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
It just gives a person a warm feeling all over to return something like this back to the descendants. You did a fantastic job along with Annmarie finding the family. I know they are very appreciative of the outstanding job you've done. Great pic of em too!

I would like to see/read the poster. Did you get a pic of that?

:wink: RR

my wife Becky made the poster, I created a webpage with everything on the poster and more at http://www.dvickers.com/thomas Click on the images to read the documents on my webpage.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is a picture of the Board Becky Made.

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,091

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OutBack Duo said:
here is a picture of the Board Becky Made.

Great pic :icon_thumleft: Becky, fantastic job on the poster :icon_thumright: Thanks for posting a better pic, Don.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just WOW, Don!!!! :notworthy: What a GREAT story!! And Annie! 8) Super research!!
I know you must have been thrilled to be able to find and gift them with the coin. Thanks for taking us along! :)

Very special indeed! :thumbsup:

Nana :wink:

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
What a fantastic story!!!!! I think this is one of the best ones I've read on Tnet, so far. What lengths you went to , to bring that coin back to his family. :notworthy:
What a great group of people here on tnet. :notworthy: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look! I made the NewsPaper!

Front Page even. If you are interested let me know and I will try to find a way to post the text so you can read it.

Attachments

• newspaper30.jpg
    newspaper30.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 964

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, look at this...made the headlines. Congrats and THANK YOU! :icon_thumleft:

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, what an awesome story! I like that the family is sharing this coin by putting it on display at the museum.

Ann - you blow me away. I knew you did geneology, but I had no idea you were so good at it. I may be interested in hiring you at some point. Great job! Sorry to hear you got PI from the hunt :(.

Congratulations on a spectacular find and wonderful story. Thank you for sharing!
Anthony

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife took the time and re-typed the newspaper article so you can read it easier.

LOOK WHAT DON VICKERS FOUND!
By Wilbert Wiggs

Don Vickers proved metal detecting is more than digging in the dirt when he unearthed a coin at Eldon, Mo,. That provided a vital link to a Lone Grove woman’s genealogical search.

Vickers, an Olathe, Kan., resident, began scanning vacant lots four years ago rates an 1827 Coronet head Copper Large Cent presented to Karen Brookey among his “best finds.” The coin was located April 26 in the side yard of a home built in 1905 within the Eldon town limits, a community south of Jefferson City. Vickers and his wife, Becky were on another of their leisurely metal detecting ventures.

It wasn’t until they returned home and carefully cleaned the coin that Vickers realized he had more than an old penny, a Copper about the size of a quarter. Curiously, the Large Cent carried a die-stamped imprint “E.B.Thomas M C H. 22” – the birth date of Dr. Elihu B. Thomas, Brookey’s great-great grandfather who dies April 25, 1910, at St Louis. Vickers used this skimpy bit of information to launch a search to find out more. As a collection item, the name imprint makes the coin of no value, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t carry an impact.

“This is a family heirloom,” Becky told her husband, encouraging him to start a search for descendants of the Thomas family. He quickly found more than he anticipated, including the obituary of Dr. Thomas published in the April 25, 1910, issue of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Born in New York on March 22, 1827, he lived in Chicago where he learned the printer’s trade: moved to St. Louis where he married and raised a family. He lived in New Orleans where he was involved in theater: fought in the Mexican and Civil Wars. Listed as a “radical” Republican, he served as a senator in the Missouri Legislature and published the St. Louis Dispatch for two years before becoming a homeopathic physician.

“Wait ‘till they hear that I gave my best find away to a perfect stranger,” Vickers said of his search that quickly lead to finding Brookey. “I have never sold anything I have found while metal detecting. I have given items away: either back to the person who lost them, or to someone who would appreciate its significance as much or more than I do.

“If it weren’t for the Internet this coin would probably have remained a big question mark in my collection. It took nearly three weeks to find out the story as we know it today,” he said when he presented the coin to Brookey Saturday at the Greater Southwest Historical Museum before an audience of friends and family. “I am sure the story and history of this coin isn’t over yet.”

Vickers had quick response to his search, thanks to Brookey’s genealogical research started 10 years ago. He turned to Treasure.net on May 14 with the information on the “personal piece,” aware the common name of Thomas would make the search difficult. A source at Treasure.net responded five days later advising that she “just got off the phone with Elisha’s great-great-granddaughter and can’t believe your story.”

While excited, Brookey was also skeptical.

“I thought it might be a scam,” she said frankly as she and the Kansas couple exchanged information about the Thomas family history. Skepticism aside, the Lone Grove resident has made “some amazing discoveries” since she began her family history research 10 years ago.

“but I can honestly say that this (presentation) really takes the cake, because as many hears as I have been searching for my family roots, this is the first time my family roots have come searching for me.” She said after receiving the coin.” Just the fact that this coin existed is all pretty special.”

Overall, the families admitted that one cent piece is pretty significant by uniting total strangers living more than 400 miles apart. Brookey touched on it by asking, What are the odds that it (the coin) would have ever been discovered?”

“and not only discovered, but discovered by someone that was interested and dedicated enough to research its mysteries. Who’s name is this? Who was he? Why and when did he stamp his name and birth date? How did it get to Eldon, Missouri? Is there a living relative?

“Don and Becky took time to solve quite a few of these mysteries.”

Another significant factor was noted when Brookey said after 10 years of keeping family tree records private, she decided to publish some information on Anc3estry.com last fall and “got brave enough” to allow contact with subscribers the same week someone was trying to contact her.

“There are so may ways that this story could have a different conclusion that it almost seems like it was meant to be,” “…Don and Becky, that made it possible to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just an awesome story! I'm very proud to be a detectorist and that was a heart warming article. Team work and the internet persevere! Thanks so much for posting. I truly enjoyed reading it. :notworthy:

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Page 46 of the November issue of Western and Eastern Treasures! They published the story of this coin.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this post by looking at Outback's website, and yes it may be an old post but wow, what an amazing story! simply amazing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions