I found a Class Ring and I found the owner

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Tuesday I took a 70 mile road trip too check out a city park that I ran across while on a road trip CRH this past winter. When I got their I was looking for a clear area to GB the MD’er when I got a penny signal which turned out to be a clad penny About 3" deep. Then I got another penny signal about a foot over from the other one and it turned out to be a 1941 wheat about 6" deep. Sweet, I haven’t even got the MD’er GB yet and I found a wheat penny. About 20 min’s later I found a cheap-o bracelet about 6" deep. After that for next 2 hrs all I was finding was some clad here and there, can slaw, a few pull tabs down about 4" to 6" deep and not much of anything else as far as deep signals.
I guess the people that MD’ed this place in the past did a real good job at cleaning this place out.

I was working a row of trees along the north side of the park and was working my way back to my pickup when I get a deep signal. The numbers were jumping between a nickel and a pull tab and it did have a nice sound to it. I figured oh what the heck I’ll dig it, I might get lucky and find a Buff. Well I got lucky, it turned out to be a 1953 10k gold Class ring about 7" deep. Yahoo, my second class ring in a little over a month. I carry a small water bottle with me to field clean my coins and I had just enough water left to get the ring cleaned up.

I saw that their was a lady across the street mowing her yard so I went over and showed her the ring and asked her if she knew where the school was. She said that it use to be right over there, but they tore it down some years ago and turned it in to a park. They consolidated with two other towns and now the school is just outside of town. Since the schools are closed for the summer I asked her if they had a library in town. She said ya, but who knows when that place is open, they have weird hours. She looked at her watch and it was about 3:30 and said that the secretary might still be at the school because she works everyday through out the summer. I thanked her for all of her help and headed for the school. I get there and their was a car in the parking lot and the double doors to the school were blocked wide open so I went walking down the halls looking for the office. I found the office, knocked on the door and opened it. Boy did that scare the heck out of the secretary, LOL

I told her who I was and that I was MD’ing at the park and found a class ring from their school and was wondering if I could look at a year book from 1953. It turns out that their was only one person with the initials “ N G “ that graduated that year, Cool. I asked her if she knew where Norman G lived now and she didn’t know, but she called somebody. They knew where he lived and looked him up in the phone book and gave us his phone number and address, sweet. He lived 6 miles down the road in the next town. I thanked her for all of her help and headed down the road to the next town.

I found Norman, I introduced myself and asked him if he ever had a class ring. He said ya, but he lost it. I asked if he remembers where he lost it. He said that he thinks it was in 1955 and he was playing football with some friends at the old H.S. About that time I pulled the ring out of my pocket and handed it to him.

You should of seen his eyes lite up when I handed him the ring. The look on his face was PRICELESS.

I told him that I was MD’ing at the park and I got lucky and found the ring and about how I tracked him down. He just could not believe that he was getting his ring back after losing it 54 years ago. He was one happy man.

On my way back home I stopped at the school and told the secretary that I found Norman and thanked her again for all of her help. I stopped at the lady’s house that was across the street from the park and told her the whole story and thanked her again for all of her help.

Sorry about the BAD pictures. It was the first time that I ever used my cell phone to take pictures and after seeing the pic's I think it well be the last time.. Sorry

Attachments

• 6-9-09.jpg
    6-9-09.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 719
  • 6-9-09-2.jpg
    6-9-09-2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 715
  • 6-9-09-3.jpg
    6-9-09-3.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 707

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
What an awesome story! I love that!!!!! I can't wait for the day I find a class ring and am able to return it to the owner.

:hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG on doing that. I bet the Gentleman was so happy :icon_sunny: That will be the talk of the town for some time. You did a good job. WTG on your efforts and doing just one person a good deed. I hope it will come back to you

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nicely done! That is a very heartwarming story. However, I can't imagine that the ring fits him anymore. :wink:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's what this hobby is about..... stories like this are always told when asking permission to hunt properties..
Thanks for a job well done....

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much better than keeping it, good job :headbang:

OP
OP
MarkinIa

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Thanks time4me, keep digging them trash signal and you might find one someday.

Thanks crazyjarhead, yep, he was a happy camper.

Thanks mts, nope the ring doesn't fit him anymore.

thanks DP BOB

Thanks allen

Thanks john09

Thanks Rasputin

Thanks Mace, who's Dave, lol. that's ok I did that once before on another forum.

Thanks CRUSADER, I just would not feel right about keeping the ring if I didn't make a honest effort in finding the owner.

Thanks Mental Granny.

Thanks Kimsdad.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awsome find an way to go on findin the owner now theres a real treasure you got :icon_thumright:well done

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
Most excellent writeup of your good deed. What amount of time elapsed between ring recovery and you handing it to the long lost owner? hh blue

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Nice job, and great story. This is the kind of story that should be written up in the local paper - maybe you should send it to them.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what an awesome story Mark, glad you were able to return it!

OP
OP
MarkinIa

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Thanks Tank69.

Thanks Cobalt*Blue, I'm not real sure, but I would say maybe an hour.

Thanks DougF.

Thanks G4e.

Thanks Jeff of pa, for the Honorable Mention.

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark, Dave whoever you are, NICE JOB!!!!!!!! RFLMAO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread