Gold Class Ring, ***UPDATE:RING RETURNED!!!

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Started the day at a local park and went to the right field position. It started to rain and I was leaving when I got a penny/dime signal, but it was jumping around. The ground was wet so I did a fast dig as I was getting wet and found the ring. I carried it in the rain to my truck and put the 'tector away and cleaned the ring in a puddle. I saw that it was from a local school and had been apparently buried for almost 50 Years! (Class of 1960) I used Classmates.com, Google and PeopleFinder and I have identified who I believe is the owner, along with his phone number and address. I will be returning it shortly.
I then went to a school construction site in which the topsoil has been scraped off. Another MD'er once told me he found a Spanish Reale at the school so I decided to check it out. Only had about an hour but I will be going back. Found a 1844 Canadian Bank of Montreal Half Penny token, a no date Indian Head cent, a Crotal Bell and a Scott Ives & Co button. I know nothing about the bell or button so if anyone can tell me what they are I would appreciate the response.

UPDATED 7/24/09 Today I was able to return the ring to the owner after 3 weeks trying to locate him. He had moved from the original address that I had, and without a phone number I had to drive several towns away to hunt him down. I left a note at this residence and he called me last night. He remembers losing the ring outside a restaurant when his hands got wet and cold scraping ice off of his windshield during a storm, and he actually remembers seeing the ring go into the snowbank. He couldn't find it after several attempts, and gave up on it. This was back in 1960, (49 years ago) and apparently during the snow removal process our highway department moved the snow and dumped it at the park about 300 yards away where I found it (A common practice in this snowbelt area).

The satisfying part of this is that the owner is having cancer surgery next Friday, and he felt that by finding the note that I left him, it is changing his streak of bad luck to good luck. He was reunited with his ring today.

Attachments

• Canisius High School class ring 2.jpg
    Canisius High School class ring 2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 1844 Canadian Half Penny Obverse.jpg
    1844 Canadian Half Penny Obverse.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • 1844 Canadian Hals Penny.jpg
    1844 Canadian Hals Penny.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Crotal bell.jpg
    Crotal bell.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Ives Scott & Co.jpg
    Ives Scott & Co.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IvesScott front.jpg
    IvesScott front.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,053
  • No date Indian.jpg
    No date Indian.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,052

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Great Day! Gold Class Ring, 1844 Canadian Half penny, Crotal Bell, Button &

Very nice finds. WTG on returning the class ring!!! :notworthy:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Great Day! Gold Class Ring, 1844 Canadian Half penny, Crotal Bell, Button & IHP

Wow, congrats on finding the owner of your class ring so quickly.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Re: Great Day! Gold Class Ring, 1844 Canadian Half penny, Crotal Bell, Button & IHP

Wow, that button looks like it was a beauty in its heyday, and the otherrecoveries are real nice too! Congrats!

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

Nice finds! Grats on the hopeful return of the ring!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice looking bell :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got to love the tokens, nice condition one you have there! :hello2:

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EXTREMELY AWESOME FINDS,WTG!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IVES SCOTT & CO - 1830s backmark

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

ya crusader beat me to it 1830s nice finds . willy.

OP
OP
Possumguts

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

CRUSADER & Willy, thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Nice job returning the ring. If nothing else that guy will feel a little better knowing someone cared enough to bring his ring back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread