1953 class ring: returned and received! Update - pictures attached!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
For those of you following the saga of the West View High School class ring (1953) I found last Saturday, I mailed it yesterday morning, with delivery promised by 3PM Saturday. While watching Miss halfdime at her horse riding lesson this morning (Friday), my cell rang; it was J H M, calling to tell me that the ring had just arrived! He was delighted to have it, and will be sending pictures early next week. When I get them, I'll attach them to this thread. As he still has family in the Pittsburgh area (remember, his son and I attend the same church), he makes frequent visits back here and would like to meet face to face. If not for the initials in his ring, none of this would have happened!

Attachments

• ringarrive1 (Small).jpg
    ringarrive1 (Small).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 953
  • ringarrive2 (Small).jpg
    ringarrive2 (Small).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 962

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1953 class ring: returned and received!

It's a good feeling to finally get some closure to the
ongoing chore of returning a ring. When you finally meet
face to face, that will be the instant that all will be worth while.
congrats and looking forward to the pics. Gold Nuggets :hello:

tndigger

Mar 11, 2009
tn
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2

:icon_pirat:
Glad everything worked out well for the both of you thank for sharing!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

that just one of those things that makes you feel warm all over. kudos to you

Sniffer

bangorguy

Aug 1, 2009

hello "halfdime" i wish i could shake your hand. that was a very good thing you have done. i just came across this thread this morning. and i got to tell you it warms my heart to know there are still good and honest people out there. i hear lots of stories about metal detectorest finding things people have lost for "years" and returning it to them. it just goes to show that us detector guys are pretty cool lol. well my freind i just want to say THANK YOU! for being a great and honest person. two thumbs up. "god bless" ben.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

bangorguy said:
hello "halfdime" i wish i could shake your hand. that was a very good thing you have done. i just came across this thread this morning. and i got to tell you it warms my heart to know there are still good and honest people out there. i hear lots of stories about metal detectorest finding things people have lost for "years" and returning it to them. it just goes to show that us detector guys are pretty cool lol. well my freind i just want to say THANK YOU! for being a great and honest person. two thumbs up. "god bless" ben.
Thanks for the kind words! While I am an honest person (you should see my tax returns :wink:), this wasn't a case of being honest. Had I chosen not to pursue the owner of this ring, I wouldn't have felt a twinge of guilt about it; this was just what I wanted to do. I found another class ring about two years ago and made an effort to find its owner; I got no response to overtures I made with the school and class officers so I finally sold it - and felt no remorse about it. That ring also had initials in it, and any help at all from others would have gotten the ring returned (probably). In this case, I wanted the experience of sleuthing more than I wanted the $30 or so the ring would have fetched. I also wanted to use the opportunity to cast our hobby in a good light; my first thread about this ring mentions a visit I had from the police just after I found the ring. Whoever called them must have imagined me/us as some kind of bandit and finding the ring's original owner might dispel that notion. The pastor of the church where I found it is going to tell his congregation the whole story tomorrow; that's a lot of people who will hear positive things about our hobby! He'll also advise them the best way to go about finding a ring they might have lost ;D.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great ending for that ring! And with the story of the return to the congregation, I'm sure you'll be getting a few phone calls from some of those church members soon. ;D Way to 1/2!! 8)

Nana :wink:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice job!! I'm still in the process of finding the owner of the one I found last week, and I'm staying hopeful!

I wish I could be at your church tomorrow to hear the story. If your church is like ours, maybe they make cds of the sermons for people who can't attend. It would be nice to get a copy for yourself.

Again, nice work!

Nat

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Natman said:
Nice job!! I'm still in the process of finding the owner of the one I found last week, and I'm staying hopeful!

I wish I could be at your church tomorrow to hear the story. If your church is like ours, maybe they make cds of the sermons for people who can't attend. It would be nice to get a copy for yourself.

Again, nice work!

Nat
Nat, I don't go to the church where the ring was found (anymore). They may tape the sermon, but usually not the whole service; it's not likely that the story found its way onto a recording. That would have been nice, though! Good luck on your return!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Nana40 said:
Great ending for that ring! And with the story of the return to the congregation, I'm sure you'll be getting a few phone calls from some of those church members soon. ;D Way to 1/2!! 8)

Nana :wink:
Boy would I love a few phone calls!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've added pictures at the top of the thread of J H M finding his ring in the mail; thanks USPS for delivering so fast!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are lucky, I would love to do this. The only personal things I found, I draw a blank on...

Well Done!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
CRUSADER said:
You are lucky, I would love to do this. The only personal things I found, I draw a blank on...

Well Done!
You could always try to find the owner of those medieval coins you find!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
CRUSADER said:

Well Done!

You laugh, but that would be the coolest thing. I often thought if I had a personal medieval seal or a horse pendant with a family crest I could track down the family & return it hundreds of years later. That would surprise anyone, right?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
CRUSADER said:
halfdime said:
CRUSADER said:

Well Done!

You laugh, but that would be the coolest thing. I often thought if I had a personal medieval seal or a horse pendant with a family crest I could track down the family & return it hundreds of years later. That would surprise anyone, right?
Now that would be cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread