Returned a piece of family history

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
In the spring, my father in law and brother in law and I hunted a farm in Virginia that had been in the owner's family since 1830. We had many interesting finds, including a 1794 silver pocket watch case. One of the finds I cared less about at first ( I thought it was a modern Zipper pull) turned out to be a Southern Cross of Honor. The Cross was awarded by the United Daughters of the Confederacy to surviving Confederate Soldiers at around the turn of the century. Since I was already back in Alabama by the time I identified it, I could not readily return it. I was excited because I was confident that the owner would know who in his family would have owned it.

Finally, this past weekend, I was able to return to Virginia ( on a mission to tell my in laws that the First Lady and I are having our first child!). My father in law and I returned to the farm to hunt (in the rain), and I delivered the placque I had made with the information about the cross. The owner was very excited, and he showed many of his family members who were visiting for the weekend. He told me it surely belonged to his grandfather, who was a surgeon for the Confederacy. He returned to the farm and practiced medicine out of the house that still stands there. He also happened to be buried right there in the family cemetary on the property, and atop his tombstone is a larger version of the Southern Cross of Honor which was awarded with the medal. It was very rewarding to give back this piece of family history to its owners.
tmi_364.jpg

medalanddogtag.jpg

medalreverse.jpg

We managed to work in abou three hours hunting the property, and I came away with an eagle pin I posted in another thread and this modern blazer button. My father in law came away with an old crotal bell, a very old lead civil war toy soldier, and a nice old compact and fancy white glass jar.
tmi_371.jpg

tmi_377.jpg

It was a great place that I'll look forward to returning to. Thanks for looking.
V

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Awesome! I was sitting there looking at that pic of the button you found and then realized i found two identical to it a couple days ago. do you know any info on them?

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Weddle546 said:
Awesome! I was sitting there looking at that pic of the button you found and then realized i found two identical to it a couple days ago. do you know any info on them?

The inscription "Nostra es devs spes" means "God is our Hope," and this type of eagle and inscription was used on British Hessian soldiers' buttons. Many buttons have used this design over the years, and they eventually found their way onto modern sport coats. Judging by the crusty back of my button and the lack of wear, I believe it is of the sport coat variety.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
This one deserves the banner. you have my vote

Sniffer

I agree whole heartedly. You reunited someone with something that originally belonged to one of their family members from long ago. You had the joy of discovery, and the forethought to make a serious attempt at a reuniting them with a fragment of their past. Not enough people in this world do the right thing, and you managed to. Somehow I think that your act of generosity will be returned with open arms, and doors to detect even better areas of land. Ya dun real good. Banner, people, Banner!
Carl

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i vote banner also. this Nobel deed and very nice find, and story tell it all... way to go on keeping history alive :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Sniffer said:
This one deserves the banner. you have my vote

Sniffer

I agree whole heartedly. You reunited someone with something that belonged to one of their family members from long ago. You had the joy of discovery, and the forethought to make a serious attempt at a reuniting them with a fragment of their past. Not enough people in this world do the right thing, and you managed to. Somehow I think that your act of generosity will be returned with open doors to detect even better areas of land. Ya dun real good. Banner, people, Banner!
Carl

Thanks a lot. This relic only had one home in my mind, and that is with the family of it's original owner. It would have been merely an interesting addtion to my treasure display, but the land owner told me they had a wall in the house where they have a period Confederate flag on the wall, and that they would display the placque under the flag. I believe it has found its way to its true home. I am just glad to have experienced the history involved.
V

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It does the heart good when you can return something that has more meaning to the family than anyone else.

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Way to go! :thumbsup: It always feels good to dig up a piece of history, but it feels even better to tie it to an actual person. And then, to return it to the descendants of that person....priceless. We need more people like you in this hobby and less people who hunt without permission, leave holes open and throw trash at the base of trees. Sorry, I almost got on my soap box there for a min. Nice work!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
That is cool you returned the cross. That is not a common piece to dig. I live in VA if you want to tell me where this house is I'd gladly guard it for you to make sure no one sneaks in there and digs it up. :thumbsup:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. It meant a lot to the drs. family, and it meant much to our hobby, those who are THing, and those to follow in
our footsteps. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I'd bet that "eagle pin" is military... It almost looks like a phoenix rather than an eagle though. Post it on "What is it?" and we'll give it a shot. In the meantime I will look through some resources I have.

Bravo for returning such a Fine relic to the descendants of its owner. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
vayank54 said:
That is cool you returned the cross. That is not a common piece to dig. I live in VA if you want to tell me where this house is I'd gladly guard it for you to make sure no one sneaks in there and digs it up. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the offer, but it's well protected!
V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread