davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We recently purchased and are in the process of restoring a 1920's home in a historic neighborhood. I had a few hours one late afternoon and I took my newly purchased DFX out in the yard for a few swings. I found a buffalo nickel, a Roosevelt dime and some various clad. It was turning dark when I had a signal indicating something other than coinage. Digging down about 4 inches, I pulled out a muddy clump of metal and popped it in my pocket as the sun was almost completely down.

When I arrived out our apartment, (we're not living in the house until it is substantially complete) I pulled out my finds for the day and began cleaning them. I saved the unidentified metal until last and in the process of cleaning it, I realized it was a gold bracelet which had been in the ground a significant amount of time. Additional cleaning revealed an inscription which read "Cindy" and a second line "4-11-47".

I put the bracelet in my drawer and didn't think about it until a couple of months later as I was relaying my find to our 97 year old neighbor-to-be. She is a wonderful lady who is as sharp as any reading this story. As soon as I shared the bracelet inscription with her she exclaimed, "I bet that's Cindy, the daughter of Jack Abernathy! She died a few years ago, but her father (now in his late 80's) is still alive. I grew up with him!"

I was determined to return Cindy's bracelet to her father.

A few days later, I paid him a visit. After introducing ourselves, he invited me into his home. We sat down and I begin to tell of my hobby of metal detecting and where our home is located. (Knowing that his father, Cindy's grandfather, had built their house in 1910 next door to ours) As I told of finding a bracelet and describing the inscription, I pulled it out of my pocket and placed it in his hand. As soon as he realized it belonged to his now deceased daughter, tears welled up in his eyes and he exclaimed over and over, "Thank you. Oh thank you so much!"

THIS is what detecting is all about.

Attachments

• 4-11-47 Cindy Abernathy Bracelet - Front.jpg
    4-11-47 Cindy Abernathy Bracelet - Front.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,535

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made us all proud and thank you. You make us all look good in this hobbie. Burdie

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I know this is an older post....but I'm just getting around to it. What a wonderful story....it made me tear up! Thanks for sharing it with us....and making us look good to boot!

Happy Hunting and Bless you for your kindness!

Moon

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Dave,

When I saw the title 'Nice return-years later', I figured it was going to be about something you purchased for short $$$ years ago, that had gained in value.............Know what?...............I like your story better!
Nice going

A

Aguila

It really isn't hard to do the right thing, the reward of bringing some happiness, peace, or closure to someone just can not be beat. HH Aguila

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Moonshadow said:
I know this is an older post....but I'm just getting around to it. What a wonderful story....it made me tear up!

Moon

me too! awesome job!! good karma should be coming your way by the bucket full!

jean-philippe

Greenie
Feb 18, 2007
Nice
Detector(s) used
Excalibur - Sovereign Elite - Cscope CS1220XD - Discovery TF900
What a wonderful story !!! Thanks for sharing that, it's so wonderful ! That's all the story about meatl detecting. Sharing our passion and angels...giving back lost items.

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
good stuff...thats awesome,the bracelet was worth a thousand times its weight in gold to that man.you did a great deed,for that man,yourself and the detecting community. and for that i thank you.and hope for many treasures to come your way...hh

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go brother ! That is awesome!!

Top Member Reactions