Unbelieveable find today. Longish story.

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Yesterday I had a phone call from a woman I barely know. Met her
once a few weeks ago when I was in getting some hearing tests done.
I had mentioned in passing that I used a detector and she was interested how
I went with headphones. She got my phone number from the clinic. :dontknow:
Turns out the mother of one of her friends is visiting New Zealand from
South Africa and lost an heirloom ring. She asked if it would be something
my detector could find.
Sure said I. Lets have some details.
Ring owner was at one of our local beaches on Sunday last. She was playing
with her Grandchildren in shallow water and did not notice the ring gone until
she returned to the car. They went back over the area and searched for several
hours without success.
I met the woman who rang me, today, at the beach, and she was able to show me
where they searched. The tide conditions were similar, low water, mid afternoon
and not too many people on the beach.
As well as it being a huge long shot, my Excalibur is out of action with battery
problems so I took the Ace. I started a grid pattern without hoping for much.

WITHIN 15 MINUTES I HAD FOUND THE RING.

[attach 1]
[attach 2]
[attach 3]

This is a serious ring.. 4 BIG diamonds and 7 smaller ones. Heavy gold as well.
We put a call into the owner, who had left town to continue on her holiday.
She could hardly speak as she was so choked up over the fact that I had found it.
It was her mothers, and as is the case with most jewellery, it is the sentimental
value that means more to the owner than the value, although I hate to think what
this beauty would be worth. She is that excited that she is changing her holiday
plans tor return here to pick it up.
Is this luck or what????
John

Attachments

• IMG_0378 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0378 (Medium).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 880
  • IMG_0372 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0372 (Medium).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 883
  • IMG_0376 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0376 (Medium).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 863

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WOW! Very nice ring and you did a good deed finding it for her. You definitely made her holidays happy John. :thumbsup: HH,

Ed

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Holy smokes, that is one big diamond ring!!!!!! I can only imagine how excited this woman must have been to get it back after having lost it in the ocean. Very nice of you to go and find it for her. Hopefully she rewards you nicely!!!!

Now, I'm going to print a picture of this ring and just stare at it and dream of finding something this awesome at the beach some day. It just amazes me to think that there are rings like this sitting out there waiting for treasure hunters to scoop them up.

Happy hunting,

Jim

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
I am with you about giving out my personal number hope you were easy on them. That had to be an incredible feeling to see that ring. All with the lowly ace 250 Honorable mention is in order and praises to the ace 250 and especially to you great story. I was going to get another detector to do some beach hunting but I think I will take the 250 out there and see what I get?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I REALLY like your story ... a super good deed on your part.

HH Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many congrats on finding the ring for her. An that is one heart attack ring to see in the scoop. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful story and congrats on finding
and returning the beautiful ring. Good Karma
will be in your future!! Gold Nuggets :hello:

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Incredible indeed! What a find and to return it to the rightful owner. Ah there are many who would not have. Those were some serious gems in that ring but YOU by far are the real gem! WTG

Lowly ACE? Not on your life. It does very well if you know what you are doing. I know of at least two people that have found some real beauties with an ACE 250. I know many others that say they can't find anything with it but if you know your machine....

OP
OP
Kiwijohn

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Thank you all for your kind words on this find.
I still can't believe I found the ring so quickly.
I think the fact that they took careful notice of where it was lost and were able
to show me, and I could work out where in the the water they were, helped.
I figured they would in the shallows with small children, and this would be dry
when I was hunting. This turned out to be so and it was found in the line of darker
sand you can see in the photo.
Had I known it was going to turn out this well I would have prepared for better photos.
We went back to my truck and I took a couple of the ring and a couple of Sharon
holding it, then back to the beach for a quick snap of the general area.
I have had a very nice email from the owner and the offer of a very generous reward,
which has embarrassed me a bit. I must say, though, some cash will not go astray as my
Excalibur batteries and charger are toast at the moment.
Finally.. as many of you point out...Dont underestimate the Ace 250!
John

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
mumszie said:
Incredible indeed! What a find and to return it to the rightful owner. Ah there are many who would not have. Those were some serious gems in that ring but YOU by far are the real gem! WTG

Lowly ACE? Not on your life. It does very well if you know what you are doing. I know of at least two people that have found some real beauties with an ACE 250. I know many others that say they can't find anything with it but if you know your machine....
I said lowly ace 250 not because it lacks ability but because some folks think you have to liquadate your account in order to find things. The 250 is my detector for now I have watched the video watched additional video's listed on tnet. I paid less than $200 for my 250 and I am still in the learning curb. With an ace you have an analog input with a digital processor then another analog output I think I want a analog ananlog machine.
I liked the simple detector that I use to own BH jr that when I went over a coin I could tell you how deep it was what it was how it was in the dirt(4 in max depth) horizionally or vertically I would pop the coin out the ground with a steak knife. Pin pointing was the easiest thing ever.
I think the type of detector I might want is something from Tesoro just a little more depth compared to the bh not sure never had my hands on one. I am not the kind of person that likes something because everybody else does I like it becasue I like it. It could be a pink detector with red sparkley kisses lace glued on the outside and if I liked the performance I would use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread