Space Coast Craigslister Pleads for Help for Lost Diamond Ring - FOUND

DanFL1962

Jan 8, 2010
Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & BHID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There was an ad on Florida Space Coast Craigslist yesterday from a gal desperate to find her diamond ring she lost in her front yard in Merritt Island. Before posting the ad on CL, she spent most of the weekend searching the area where she thought it would be. She got a tip from someone who read the ad and rented a metal detector for four hours from a local tool rental store this morning. This only brought her greater stress and frustation as it had no instructions and she didn't have the patience to figure it out.

When I responded I told her I had some free time this afternoon so she gladly accepted my offer to help. Fortunately her front yard wasn't that big. A small landscaped area of bark mulch with a few shrubs, and a lawn area of only about 400 sq ft.

I started in the middle of the area where she felt it would be and worked my way outwards. After about 10 minutes of searching I had covered that area and then moved to a 3 foot wide strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. Found it within a few seconds of searching that area.

I typically hunt the beaches and was surprised how well this was hidden in the Florida crab grass. After I pinpointed the target, I bent down and pushed my hand into the grass, saw the diamond, but lost it before I could grab it. Took me a minute of feeling through the grass to find it again.

She insisted on giving me some form of compensation but I flat out refused. Explained to her that on more that one occassion I have been stranded on the side of the road with a disabled Harley. A passing motorist went out of his way once to go to his farm and get a trailer and return to tow my bike more than 40 miles to Daytona HD.

So today it was my turn to "Pay it Forward".

Footnote: She was pleasantly overwhemled with the number of responses from local MD'ers who read the ad and offered their assistance for free, or just for the price of their gas. I am sure that some of the responses were from those of you here on TNet. Its great to know the MD'er community is comprised of so many people willing to help!

Dan

(Below is the ad and some pics)

Rent me your metal detector, please... (Merritt Island)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-01-10, 8:50PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm needing some kind soul to rent me their metal detector for temporary use, unless someone has one for sale at a relatively low price. I lost my wedding ring in our yard and have tried looking but I'm guessing that the only chance that I may have of finding it will be if I use a metal detector. So far, it's been like trying to locate a needle in a haystack. If you don't have one of your own but know someone who does, please pass this on. If you know somewhere that rents these, please advise. Let me know your asking price and I'll let you know if it's affordable for us. Thanks so much.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1546658527

2010-01-13 13-22-52_0004.jpg

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Nice story, good karma your way! Hit the beach, near a drain, expect something big!

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Great story Dan, and you are to be highly commended. You know that sure meant a lot to her.

I saw a CL posting of a lost ring last week, locally. It stated, a lady thought she had lost her graduation ring when she took a glove off at the neighborhood dog park.
I sent a query asking if she had found it or did she need any help. Stating that I had a metal det. and would help if I could. She answered back that she had, in fact, found her ring the day before, but was glad to know there was someone who she could call if she ever again needed a metal detector.
It just makes a person feel good to help, and does wonders to help our hobby in the public eye.

WTG Dan!

BW

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PERFECT! Good job! Breezie