Soccer field pays off again... Ring goes back to owner, just have to share...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit my favorite soccer field again today, the same one that I have found quite a few good jewelry items on.. I have pretty well cleaned out the main playing areas, as evidenced by small returns and little garbage, so I was hitting the outside edges for about two hours. Finding a few coins and some junk, then switched over to the other side when an old fella started hitting golfballs. I didnt want him to worry about hitting me, and I didnt want to worry about getting hit, so I switched to the same side he was on.... About 45 ft into my line, I hit a good VDI for pulltab or small ring.. 6 inches deep.. Dug the plug at about 8 inches, and started to probe the plug. Found the item and dug it out. Looked at first like a small coin, but then I saw gold on the edge.. Popped out the middle plug and it was a nice class ring! After cleaning, found it to be 10k, which was a little disappointing, but hey, it's gold right?!
Also found a couple of interesting "whatsits"... I found the first one at 6 inches also. Foil signal. I could see what looked like 4 stones in the middle of this square thing, and it looked as though it may have been part of a necklace or something, so I searched the surrounding area and got an exact same reading about 3 ft away. Dug it out at 7 inches and it is identical to the other one. Could not find any other pieces around that spot.
Cleaned them both at home, and rather than 4 small stones, it is one big stone cut to look like 4. Looking at the bottom, you can see it is just one stone. But they are stamped .925, so they are silver. I still have no idea what they are after looking at them over and over through my glass..
Anyone have any ideas? All four sides have slits in them, but I cannot see anything that indicates they were connected to anything. Guess I may never know, but again, they are sterling. I highly doubt the stones are anything but crystal or CZ, as no one puts stones that big into silver... They are about 1/2" square..
Total clad for the 2.5 hours was $1.95, with 5 quarters, 4 dimes, 3 nickles, and 15 pennies....

Attachments

• classring 1.jpg
    classring 1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,495
  • classring 2.jpg
    classring 2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,485
  • whatsits 1.jpg
    whatsits 1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,506
  • 02182010 finds.jpg
    02182010 finds.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,510

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Soccer field pays off again...

How old is that ring? Any chance of returning it to its owner?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm going to try... It is from 1987 and has "Maria" on the side, but on the inside it has what appears to be a mans name. It is a womans size, so I dont know if the name on the inside is the maker, the boyfriend, or what... I will keep you all posted. I am sure they would really like to have it back, I would...

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck returning it Silver Surfer. :icon_thumright:

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 2 silver pieces look to be earings to me.
Setting stones like that is very difficult.
My guess would be not cheap CZ's

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice finds :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:icon_thumright:great digs

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Very nice finds! I'm guessing earrings also......WTG!

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dirt fishing Wolf said:
The 2 silver pieces look to be earings to me.
Setting stones like that is very difficult.
My guess would be not cheap CZ's
Again, the stone is cut on top cross-ways to look like 4 stones (but I need to look at the bottom better to be sure), do you really think they would put precious or semi-precious stones in Sterling?
Maybe I need to take it to a jeweler just to be sure?

Going back out today to see if I can find more.. I do agree that they are most likely earrings with the posts broken off, but how strange for someone to lose both earrings in the same spot...

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good hunt. Plus good luck on finding the owner of the ring. I returned the one I found last year, the owner was happy to get it back.....Matt

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Hooray for you! I have never done very well at soccer fields. Now that is the only place I've been hunting for a while since I am in this boot. I am still not doing that good. This morning netted me a whole 40 cents in small coins and no jewelry. I know it's there but I guess it's waiting for you! :wink:

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster

That ring is beautiful! Im sure someone cherished it. Possibly a break up and she threw it? may never know. But if you do find her and find out the story let us know. I love to read about them! Good haul for the day!

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST

Stones look to be princess cut, but could be anything.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice going on the ring find :icon_thumright:

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COOL GOLD RING NICE STUFF :notworthy: :headbang: :thumbsup:

ringsandthings

Greenie
Feb 10, 2010
Brookings, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

I would definately take the stones to a jeweler. People don't usually fill silver with junk. Silver is a stable metal that will hold and not loosen the stone. Exactly what you want if you want to make sure nice gem doesn't fall out. Looks like a great conversation piece as well. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I received an email from the school administrator of the school the ring owner attended. He said there were two Maria's that graduated that year, and he is going to contact them both if possible and contact me again so that I can return the ring to her. I know I would sure appreciate something like that being returned to me... If you have no way of finding the owner, that is one thing. But when you have some info like that, it is the least one can do, attempt to return it.
I told him that it was typical of us in the MD'ing community to return lost valuables if possible. He gave us all kudos..
I hit that soccer field again today.. Found a heavy bracelet, but it was pretty corroded. I soaked in vinegar for about an hour, the vinegar turned greenish blue.. I believe the bracelet is brass or copper, but looks more like brass.
Ended up with $3.95 in clad..
I will probably finish it tomorrow.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread