A happy woman reunited with class ring after 50+ years!

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hello everyone, On May 6th 2009 I was detecting one of my old standbys,an old fair that they stopped using in 1922 after a big flood.I work with a guy that owns a house directly in front of the old fair and although he wouldn't give me permission to do his lawn he did give me permission to do the tall grass and the rest of his property in the woods.Right on the edge of his lawn in the tall grass I pulled up a barber dime.After I finished in the tall grass I headed into the woods,there I picked up three early mercs.As I was leaving, where the woods meets the tall grass again, I got a signal,dug a plug and about 4" down in the bottom of the hole I could see the edge of a gold band. I pulled it out and it was a 1955 10kt gold M.C.I. class ring,YEEHAA!I don't find many gold rings.Inside were the initials H.A.B..I had a feeling it was a woman's ring by the size of it.It did have a crack in the band.I figured that was why they lost it.
Fast forward to March 29,2010.My Dad and a bunch of family gathered at my house for a small birthday get together for my sister in-law.I wanted to show my dad a few of my coins to send in with a few of his to get graded.I didn't think I had shown him this class ring yet so I took it out and showed it to him.He thought it was a great find.He had found an M.C.I. class ring a couple years ago his was from 1892/7?and he had tried to find the owners descendants but could not.It was featured in Lost Treasures civic patrol section.I told him that I was going to try to return this one but hadn't gotten around to it yet.With a graduation date of 1955 I knew that she must be 73 or 74 years old by now so I figured I'd better get right on it.
The next morning I called Sharon in Alumni at M.C.I. and told her what I had and that I would like to find out who it belonged to.She said that she would check into it and call me back.About ten minutes later she called and said that she had contacted the owner and that the owner would call me back shortly.I could hardly believe that she had found her.Ten minutes later came the call,She couldn't believe I had found her ring after all these years.She said her name was Hilda Hawkins but her name used to be Hilda Braley and that she had lived on that road many years ago.She had no idea that there used to be a fair there.She said she didn't know how the ring could have gotten there unless her young daughter had taken it across the road to play with the other kids.
I sent the ring out to her the same day with a note asking her for permission to write this post and for a couple pics of her with the ring.A couple days later she called me and said that she had received the ring and was thrilled and that I had her permission to post it and that she would get me some pics.April 12 I received the pics from her and now I am able to see her with her long lost ring and a smile that says it all!We are supposed to be meeting sometime in May when she comes up from Mass. and go out to lunch.It is really a great feeling to be able to do something like this and without our hobby most stories like this would never happen.
I hope you've enjoyed reading my post and best of luck to all of you.
Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
Here are the pics from the day I found it and after it was returned.

Attachments

• MVC-027F.JPG
    MVC-027F.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 687
  • MVC-028F.JPG
    MVC-028F.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 692
  • MVC-038F.JPG
    MVC-038F.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 710
  • MVC-039F.JPG
    MVC-039F.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 732

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find and great return she looks happy :icon_thumleft: Dd60

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Great story but for some reason the pics don't show for me and when I click on the paper clip it says I am not allowed to access this section. ???

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding job and great story! Congrats and HH, Mike

OP
OP
bootstrap vinn

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Thanks for the replies everyone.I really didn't think we would find her.With a man its easier because mens names don't usually change when they marry.A womans last name may change several times in her lifetime so many get "lost"to their school or old friends.I'm just glad that she stayed in touch enough so they could keep tabs on where she is.And now a shout out to Sharon at M.C.I. even though there's about a 99% chance she's not reading "Thank you for your service and interest in helping me and Hilda get this ring back in her hands!" HH to all,Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice ring, and a very nice person to return it to it owner.. WTG....

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
That is just awesome, Boot! I can't imagine how it must have felt to get a call about a ring that had been missing for so many years. I bet she's been burning up the phone lines telling all her friends and family about the big-hearted guy from Maine who went out of his way to return it.

Way to go, buddy.

MP

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting