Finally found it after all these years!!

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
My good friend Jack has been telling me for the past 22 years about how he lost his class ring in 1961 while digging a water line on the property I now own. His Grandfather built the house in the late 1920's and Jack grew up there. Got my first metal detector a few years ago and every time he would come by he would ask "found my ring yet?" It became a running joke between my wife and I every time we went out in the yard to find "treasure" (we have found quite a few nice old items in the yard-it's about an acre).
Well Friday I was bored and decided to do a little hunting where I knew I would find some old black powder bullets and such. Dug 5 bullets, an intact mason jar lid, and a few odds and ends when I decided to try another spot. First signal was different from any I had heard before so I pinpointed and dug. Saw a glint of yellow, pulled it out, knocked off the dirt and there it was-Jack's long lost ring!! My wife was close by and I said "you aren't going to believe this-I think I found Jack's ring". Needless to say she thought I was pulling her leg until I walked over to her and showed her the ring. She was so excited she made me call Jack right then and ask him to come over. Called him and told him I needed his help on a project I was working on. He arrived about fifteen minutes later and my wife had the ring in a box and handed it to him saying "do you think this is worth anything-we found it in the yard". He opened the box and was speechless (which is a feat in itself if you know Jack!!). I can't imagine a better find!!

Attachments

• Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 834
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 829

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: You found THE ring :hello2: Awesome :icon_king:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Way to go!
That smile sure says a lot. Great story with a nice ending.
Mike

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Now that's an awesome story. Way to go on Making Jack's day(probably month), good job sir.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
;D way to go. You know tons of mders go most of our lives without finding a gold ring.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring good story :icon_thumleft: i still have not found a gold ring yet .Good hunt dd60

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
you just never know what will turn up in the hole.....thats what makes this sport my new found passion....excellent story

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it great to return something dear to someone, long running joke is no longer a joke anymore! And every time he looks at that ring he will think of you :)

OP
OP
Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Thanks for all the kind replies folks. Greatly appreciated.
The Honarable Mention is certainly nice but in all honesty the best part was just seeing the look on Jack's face when we gave it back-absolutely priceless!!!

mascallw119

Apr 23, 2010
Congratulations. What a wonderful find and the smile tells it all. I remember years ago when I lost my wallet in a New York City subway. I had photos and other precious things to me that I knew were now lost forever. To my surprise one day (don't remember what length of time but I know it was awhile), I received a box in the mail. To my astonishment it was my wallet with everything in tack. I was so happy and very thankful. I could not contact the person that sent it because there was no return information but I was extremely grateful. I had the opportunity years later to do the same for someone else when I found their wallet left in a phone booth. I had an opportunity to talk to the owner and assure her that I would get it in the mail to her immediately. She too like myself was so very thankful. We have no idea sometimes how a simple act on our part can have a wonderful impact on someones life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread