Did my good deed for the week, lost glasses in the brush

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I was at Subway a couple of evenings ago a guy I know came up and asked if I thought I could use my detector to find a pair of glasses lost in the woods. I said I could give it a try, but wire frame glasses can be pretty tough.

His father in law was moving brush while he was cutting up trees for firewood. When they stopped for a minute to wipe some sweat off the father in law realized his brand new glasses were gone. They searched for a few hours, moved a bunch of brush piles, but had no luck.

Last night I went out with them right after work. Put the pro coil on my Quattro, and ran it over my glasses a few times.
As I had suspected, not too much signal off steel rims. At about 4" it would just give a little squeak, and show iron at a foot down. I worked around the brush for a couple of hours and got plenty of iron signals, but no glasses.
I went to the truck and put on my 5 /12" Sunray Excellerator coil, and tried that on my own glasses. Hmmm, needed to be within about 3 inches of the coil, and the scale was bottomed out for depth.
Started back at the last brush pile we moved, and caught my glasses on a branch and into the brush they fell.
When I swung my coil over them I got two distinct signals. Thought I had hit both bows. When I bent down to pick them up there was a lens laying on the ground! Checked my glasses, and they still had two. There lay the rest of the set about six inches from mine. When I looked them over I realized they were almost completely titanium! I must have gotten just the screws? Anyway, if I hadn't dropped mine I'm pretty sure I would never have found them.

We dropped the glasses off at his home, as he was gone to a funeral. Today he stopped over to thank me and offer to pay me for my time. I refused to let him pay me. I was just glad to be able to help him out!

Happy Hunting!
Mark

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was very cool of you to help him out like that. Good job and I'm hoping this pays off with a little karma down the road when you are digging up your next find! :icon_thumright:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt and return :icon_thumleft: sensitive MD to pick up just the screws :laughing9: sure glad LC,s weren't made of Titanium Good job Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread