Found first GOLD... found and returned

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Well I guess it counts as a gold find.

Sorry for the long post but it has a meaning at least to me.

About 6 weeks ago I was talking to one of the contractors I do some work with and he said that he lost his wedding ring while working on a levee and spillway at a local lake. He said “Do you think you could find it” my response was “I have never done it before but what the heck.”

I met him at the lake it had been raining for about three days and the water was 1.5’ higher than when he lost it. Here I was prepared for the mud thinking he lost it on the dry side but, no he lost it installing some piping on the water side somewhere in the riprap and in about 3’ of water, now about 4.5’ deep.

While we were there he said that he had someone else look for it and that guy tossed some coins in the water to see if his detector would pick them up. Needless to say on my first trip I found a nickel, a dime and a penny. All courtesy of the other guy, I got to pocket that clad. The piping he was working on was supported by 7.5’ tee-metal fence posts. Every time I got close to them I got a major overload. Of course it starts raining again, I told him that I would try again after the lake goes down and see what I can do.

Over the Memorial Day weekend I went back to the lake found 2 more pennies and another nickel. I pulled up the fence post where he said he was working and still did not find anything. By the way do you know how hard it is to keep a detector dry while standing waist deep in a lake and digging around on the bottom with the other hand.

Fast forward to last Monday, I get a call from a guy that works for this contractor. He tells me that the contractor has some personal issues and has checked into alcohol rehab. He has a new baby at home is in rehab and leaving his business up to his dad and employees while he tries to get some help. This was on my mind all week last week. I could not get to the lake to look because I was helping with Vacation Bible School, by the way every male should help with this at least once. You will have a new appreciation for what the ladies of the church go through, be sure it is with 3 to 5 year olds.

Saturday I finally got a chance to go back to the lake, I took a buddy with me to help hold the detector while I was in the water. He asked me “what is so special about this ring?” I guess he just has not been married long enough. I looked for about 10 minutes and then pulled the other fence post up. After just a little while I find it. Somehow or the other the ring ended up at the bottom of the fence post about 5’ from where he was working and in about 4’ of water.

I call this guy’s dad and tell him I found. The dad was happy he said I will be there in about 5 minutes. Me and my son met him and I gave the ring back, the dad asked “What do I owe you?” of course I told him “Nothing, just be sure to give it to his son along with my prayers and I hope it gives him a little something extra to help get him through his tough times.” The dad had to take a couple of deep breaths got in his truck and drove off. My son looked up at me and asked why I gave the ring to that man. I told him someone else has plans for it.

I know it is a little late but Happy Fathers Day.

Happy Hunting,
Wettpaint

Attachments

• IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 619
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 611
  • IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 610

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
wettpaint said:

About 6 weeks ago I was talking to one of the contractors I do some work with and he said that he lost his wedding ring while working on a levee and spillway at a local lake. He said “Do you think you could find it” my response was “I have never done it before but what the heck.”

I met him at the lake it had been raining for about three days and the water was 1.5’ higher than when he lost it. Here I was prepared for the mud thinking he lost it on the dry side but, no he lost it installing some piping on the water side somewhere in the riprap and in about 3’ of water, now about 4.5’ deep.

While we were there he said that he had someone else look for it and that guy tossed some coins in the water to see if his detector would pick them up. Needless to say on my first trip I found a nickel, a dime and a penny. All courtesy of the other guy, I got to pocket that clad. The piping he was working on was supported by 7.5’ tee-metal fence posts. Every time I got close to them I got a major overload. Of course it starts raining again, I told him that I would try again after the lake goes down and see what I can do.

Over the Memorial Day weekend I went back to the lake found 2 more pennies and another nickel. I pulled up the fence post where he said he was working and still did not find anything. By the way do you know how hard it is to keep a detector dry while standing waist deep in a lake and digging around on the bottom with the other hand.

Fast forward to last Monday, I get a call from a guy that works for this contractor. He tells me that the contractor has some personal issues and has checked into alcohol rehab. He has a new baby at home is in rehab and leaving his business up to his dad and employees while he tries to get some help. This was on my mind all week last week. I could not get to the lake to look because I was helping with Vacation Bible School, by the way every male should help with this at least once. You will have a new appreciation for what the ladies of the church go through, be sure it is with 3 to 5 year olds.

Saturday I finally got a chance to go back to the lake, I took a buddy with me to help hold the detector while I was in the water. He asked me “what is so special about this ring?” I guess he just has not been married long enough. I looked for about 10 minutes and then pulled the other fence post up. After just a little while I find it. Somehow or the other the ring ended up at the bottom of the fence post about 5’ from where he was working and in about 4’ of water.

I call this guy’s dad and tell him I found. The dad was happy he said I will be there in about 5 minutes. Me and my son met him and I gave the ring back, the dad asked “What do I owe you?” of course I told him “Nothing, just be sure to give it to his son along with my prayers and I hope it gives him a little something extra to help get him through his tough times.” The dad had to take a couple of deep breaths got in his truck and drove off. My son looked up at me and asked why I gave the ring to that man. I told him someone else has plans for it.

I know it is a little late but Happy Fathers Day.

Happy Hunting,
Wettpaint
Wettpaint, to put all that effort in to find the ring, you must be a top guy. I'm sure that you will be rewarded in other ways, what you sow you always reap :icon_thumright:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ring, good job !! :headbang:

I think Honorable mention is in order !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ It and HH !! ;D :D

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a real good guy to do that.. good karma coming your way for sure.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Karma works in mysterious ways...

May a cache, full of gold, silver, platinum and diamonds find it's way to you! :)

:thumbsup:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic story. If the world was full of more people that found value in the giving and not getting aspect, I think we would all be better off. Thanks for sharing.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Irchr

Mar 17, 2010
Texas
wettpaint said:

Sometimes the treasure we find isn't the type that you can hold with your hand but only with your heart. Looks like you found quite a treasure this time in my books.

OP
OP
wettpaint

wettpaint

Apr 9, 2009
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Thanks everyone for the Honorable Mention honor. I just hope that everything works out for this guy.

Happy Hunting
Wettpaint

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wettpaint,

You are a class act!!!!!!!!!!! If there was an award higher than Honorable Mention, I would put you in for it. Thanks for the extra effort required to find this guys ring. We have not walked in his shoes, just beside them. Maybe he will find what he needs in rehab and the world will be a better place.

Thanks for your hard work!

I hope the karma overload dumps great riches your way.

Bob.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good job, Wettpaint!

And who knows, your going that extra mile may help the guy get through some of his tough times, too.

Someday, I hope I'll be as lucky - and find the same kind of treasure you did.

Nan
(and good for you re the 3-5 yr olds! They're a hoot, aren't they!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread