Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I had the entire day to myself so I decided to get up early and go hunting for the day. I was about to drive 45 minutes back to my home town but I decided to hit some local spots instead.

My first stop was a beach that I’ve always wanted to check out, I got there at about 6:45 a.m. and there was already 4 people swimming but that didn’t change my plan. I detected for about ½ hour and found maybe 3-5 coins but I also found a big fat wallet that was in plain view. I opened it up and saw that there was a lot of stuff in it, business cards, phone numbers, email addresses, membership cards and a drivers license from Chicago. I put it in my pocket and figured I’d try to track the person down later on in the afternoon possibly through Facebook or Google search. More about that later…

Bored with the beach, I moved on to a huge park that I’ve always wanted to check out. Two tot lots, sand volleyball pit, soccer field, 2 baseball fields and a whole lotta picnic space. By the time I was done I had 95 coins which is my new record. 77 pennies, 18 dimes, 6 quarters & 3 nickels. Clad total $4.23

I also ended up with 3 more interesting finds. The first was a Zachary Taylor $1 coin that was released from the Franklin Mint in December of 2009. It was pretty cool to see that come out of the ground. A bit unexpected too.

The next interesting find was an earring which I thought was pretty unique. The first thing I saw was the “5” and I got a little excited because I initially thought it was a coin of some sort. I guess it is a coin that was made into an earring?

I also found what I believe is and old button. Doing a quick Google search lead me to another hunters post on a different forum. Although the pics are gone, I believe I found the same one. The face reads ”BURG CO TYR 1780 x ARCHID AVST DUX”. Unless someone reading this thinks differently, I believe that is the reverse side of a Maria Theresia, Austrian coin that was made into a button. Here is the thread that I found. Weird Button

After a few hours of hunting, I decide to get something to eat and have a beer at the bar. While looking over my finds I remembered that I had the wallet so I started looking through it for any leads I could use to return it to the owner. I sent text messages and emailed people from my phone asking them if they knew this person and to get back to me. After a few minutes I found a receipt that had the person’s name and phone number on it so I called right away. I got a hold of him and he was VERY happy to hear the news. I hung out at the bar and waited for him to stop in and claim the wallet. About an hour later, a van pulled up out front and 4 people made their way into the bar. It turns out that they’re in a band and played a local venue the night before. When I called him they were just headed out to Fargo, ND for their next show so I caught him just in time. He was super happy to get the wallet back and good thing for him there was no money in it when he lost it so nothing was missing. After saying thanks, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a $20 and said “have a couple drinks on me”. Cool… They left after that but fiddled around ouside the van for a few minutes then he came back into the bar to give me a T-shirt with their band name on it and a CD. I was happy just return the wallet to him but the rewards just added to my great day that I was already having. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• wallet.jpg
    wallet.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 655
  • clad.jpg
    clad.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 659
  • zach1.jpg
    zach1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 689
  • zach2.jpg
    zach2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 827
  • earring1.jpg
    earring1.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 674
  • earring2.jpg
    earring2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 695
  • button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 736
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 662
  • rewards.jpg
    rewards.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 726
Last edited by a moderator:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, Congradulations. Happy 4th.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used