Heavy platinum and 18K gold ring

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
My hunting buddy Rick got a call two nights ago from the owner of the local East Coast metal detecting shop with information about a lost ring. We went out yesterday morning and searched for about 3 hours, then the guy who lost it showed up. As we were standing at the waters edge talking to him about where he might have lost it, I swung my coil over the wet sand and got a strong signal. One scoop, dumped over on the beach, and I saw a bright "silver" circle in the sand. I said "well, this is probably it" and picked it up. It was inscribed inside and he told me what it said, so I handed it over to him - he was shocked that I found it right in front of him as he looked on.

His wife gave me a $40 reward, which I split with my friend Rick as we had both worked hard looking for it.

As much as I would have loved to find a big heavy platinum and white gold ring like that and be able to keep it, it was pretty neat to be able to hand it over to the guy who lost it and see how happy it made him and his wife (and mother and grandmother - the were all there in a rental house right on the beach).

The ring...

Ringreturn7272010c.jpg

The very happy couple - their wedding anniversary is coming up this weekend, so the return of their ring was even that much more special to them...

Ringreturn7272010b.jpg

Me with the happy couple (I guess my wife has been right all along - I do look pretty goofy in my detecting duds)...

Ringreturn7272010a.jpg

Reward dough...

DSCN0967.jpg

Thanks for looking, and Happy Hunting!

Jim

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great recovery!!!! they both look very happy that you found it for them!!! Chug and Red

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Big Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: on a job well done!

It does feel good ... I can tell from your smile ;D. Hey you are just wearing your pro outfit it's not goofy at all.

Also brings to mind that engraving inside a ring is a good, good idea.

HH Joe

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
time4me said:
My hunting buddy Rick got a call two nights ago from the owner of the local East Coast metal detecting shop with information about a lost ring. We went out yesterday morning and searched for about 3 hours, then the guy who lost it showed up. As we were standing at the waters edge talking to him about where he might have lost it, I swung my coil over the wet sand and got a strong signal. One scoop, dumped over on the beach, and I saw a bright "silver" circle in the sand. I said "well, this is probably it" and picked it up. It was inscribed inside and he told me what it said, so I handed it over to him - he was shocked that I found it right in front of him as he looked on.

His wife gave me a $40 reward, which I split with my friend Rick as we had both worked hard looking for it.

As much as I would have loved to find a big heavy platinum and white gold ring like that and be able to keep it, it was pretty neat to be able to hand it over to the guy who lost it and see how happy it made him and his wife (and mother and grandmother - the were all there in a rental house right on the beach).

The ring...

Ringreturn7272010c.jpg

The very happy couple - their wedding anniversary is coming up this weekend, so the return of their ring was even that much more special to them...

Ringreturn7272010b.jpg

Me with the happy couple (I guess my wife has been right all along - I do look pretty goofy in my detecting duds)...

Ringreturn7272010a.jpg

Reward dough...

DSCN0967.jpg

Thanks for looking, and Happy Hunting!

Jim
Great job you two. I have never even seen a platinum ring before. That is awesome that you found it right in front of him. Did he happen to tell you how he thinks he lost it? I am curious about that. Congrats to the both of you guys. Dave P.

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Dave P said:
Great job you two. I have never even seen a platinum ring before. That is awesome that you found it right in front of him. Did he happen to tell you how he thinks he lost it? I am curious about that. Congrats to the both of you guys. Dave P.

Hi Dave,

He said he was playing catch with a football about waist deep in the water, and the football hit his hand and knocked the ring off his finger.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread