Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
See The Article In Black Mountain News!

On 8-4-2010 I got an email from the Blue Ridge Metal Detecting Club Secretary here in Hendersonville/Asheville area( blueridgemetaldetectingclub.com ), NC. Our Club had gotten an email from Treasurenet Member 4H, (aka: Mike P). The Black Mountain Police Department had gotten in touch with Mike and asked for his help in trying to locate some stolen jewelry that been tossed in the woods. Apparently the Police had arrested 5 people in a series of home burglaries and they informed the Police that the stolen jewelry was in a wooded area that was covered with kudzu, bush over growth, poison ivy, downed trees etc.

Mike and a fellow Treasurenet metal detectorist Mark, from Illinois,and Jay, were going out looking for the jewelry and wanted some help from our Blue Ridge Metal Detecting Club ( Of which Mike/4H is now a member) in locating it. I got on the phone and was only able to get 2 other people to hunt the next morning with us, Maggie and Emily. Everyone else was already committed to something else for that day.

We met at 8:00 am at the 4H Camp in Swannanoa , NC. After coffee and chit chat, we headed out in a convoy of vehicles to the designated location. Once there, we all set our machines up and started to hunt, all of us going in separate directions at first. Mike and Mark were also telling all the local joggers and walkers why we were there and what we were doing with our metal detectors.

After about 40 minutes or so one of the guys Mark talked to came back and said that some ways down the running path, over the fence and in the wooded area there were some little boxes and other things that might be what we were looking for. It didn’t look normal for the woods so Mike and Mark went there to investigate. Low and behold, it looked like some of the boxes that would have contained some jewelry.

Mike called the Police and after 4 of them arrived 3 of us went over the fence with metal detectors and pin pointers in hand and proceeded to look for the jewelry. Some of it was in plain sight, most of it was on the ground under heavy poison ivy ( Of which I now have all over my arms) and kudzu leaves, as well as downed trees and thick prickly bushes.
Emily, (From the blueridgemetaldetectingclub.com , Mike and I worked the area for the better part of an hour. We found many pieces of jewelry, some gold rings of what seemed to be high dollar value, gold chains and costume jewelry as well. I took pictures but the Police said that it was an ongoing case so we should not take any more pictures. But when the case is over with, the pictures will find their way to this Treasurenet site for all to look at.There is however one picture of Mike Post I can share with you just to show you all how thick the bushes were where we were looking.

I had to laugh at Emily at one point, she was walking over to the fence to hand the Police a handful of jewelry and she bumped her head into something. She backed up and said “Whoa, look at this “.
It was a gold chain of some sort hanging from a bush branch and hit her in the face. We all got a laugh out of that. The stuff was just everywhere.

Some of the jewelry was costume jewelry but to the folks who lost them, it must be a pleasing thing to get their special items of fond memories back after they were stolen and thought they would never see them again.

I had another commitment so I left the scene around 11:15am, but the others went back out and a bit further down the path they found about 10 more pieces of jewelry to add to the days finds.

The Black Mountain Police were very grateful of our help. They probably would have never recovered this stolen jewelry without our help. They are just are not equipped to send Officers out into to the woods everywhere looking for stolen loot. They sent a letter of appreciation to our Club Members and Marc for our help.

This was a great experience for us all. It shows that Metal Detectorists here and all across the USA and globe for that matter, are, and can be a very useful tool in helping out Communities in need.
It just baffles me to know that there are people and organizations out there that are making it hard for Metal Detectorist to hunt in public locations. For the most part, all of us in groups and some not in groups are good to the environment. We fill our holes, leave none of our trash out in the fields, and get permission to hunt on private properties and more. There are a few folks out there that are bad apples for the bunch, and unfortunately they can really make it hard for the rest of us out there. There are also groups like the 4H here in Swannanoa NC at the 4H camp. Mike and his wife Maggie help the kids there in many ways. Mike has an area set up where he has hunts for the children and teaches them the do’s and dont's of metal detecting. He is getting these youngsters trained and hooked at a young age (more competition for us older folks) on metal detecting. It is also helping build good honest character in these kids at such a young age.

Metal detecting companies like Minelab, Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Bounty Hunter and many of the other big names as well as Kelleyco. of Florida, have donated metal detectors and other items to the 4H camp for these youngsters as prizes for their competition. These are memories these kids will carry with them for life. Hopefully they will also get in this forum on Treasurenet.com and others as well, and continue the craft/hobby of METAL DETECTING.

Written by Dave Packard

Attachments

• Stolen Jewelry 016.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 016.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,778

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Wow, what a story!!
That's awesome that the police is turning fore :help: to you, that's gonna bring good rep to all
of us! Good work and looking forward to see the pictures! :headbang:

Cheers

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story Dave!

Another treasurenet.com member , Jay Hahn (Waterfalljay) was also responsible for returning the stolen property.

And what a great effort you all made to support the community in time of need.

Below is the letter I just received from the Chief of Police.

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,853
OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
4-H said:
Great story Dave!

Another treasurenet.com member , Jay Hahn was also responsible for returning the stolen property.

And what a great effort you all made to support the community in time of need.

Below is the letter I just received from the Chief of Police.

Here's the top story of the news last night. Just click here and it will load by itself.
Click below to see the Top story on the news last night.
http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wlos_vid_2695.shtml

Look how many felony's they received!
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100811/BLACKMOUNTAINNEWS01/308110008/1117/BlackMountainNews

**Please nominate these fellow treasurenetters an Honorable mention for this Honorable deed.
These are the type of people that will keep doors open for the future of the hobby.
Thanks Mike. We all enjoyed doing this for the people who lost their jewelry and the Police to help solve this case. We would hope to get more calls from the police and general public to help them look for lost items as well. We do this for free as a service to our community. Thanks for the links also Mike. See you real soon. Dave P.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
The Swed Hunther said:
Wow, what a story!!
That's awesome that the police is turning fore :help: to you, that's gonna bring good rep to all

Cheers
Yes, this is great stuff for the metal detecting craft/hobby. A lot of people were made happy on this one. We were also enjoying the hunt for this stuff, but I found more than jewelry, I now have poison ivy. I hate it. Itchy itchy itchy. Dave P.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Dave P said:
The Swed Hunther said:
Wow, what a story!!

Cheers
Yes, this is great stuff for the metal detecting craft/hobby. A lot of people were made happy on this one. We were also enjoying the hunt for this stuff, but I found more than jewelry, I now have poison ivy. I hate it. Itchy itchy itchy. Dave P.

I did read the felony's, ha, they deserve it! As it says Dave: The road to perfection has always some thorns on its path.
hope the itchy itchy is going away soon!
Get well!
Cheers

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story. I love to read good positive stories about our hobby. You all deserve a pat on the back. Mike I will give you yours when I see you again. Good job everyone involved.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
treasurehound said:
Great story. I love to read good positive stories about our hobby. You all deserve a pat on the back. Mike I will give you yours when I see you again. Good job everyone involved.
Thanks you all. It was the most fun I have had in a very long time with metal detecting. I am really hoping more people get involved with metal detecting and calling us metal detecting folks to find their lost items. Them 4H kids are also having a great time at the Camp. Atta boy Mike. Dave P.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
The Swed Hunther said:
Dave P said:
The Swed Hunther said:
Wow, what a story!!

Cheers

I did read the felony's, ha, they deserve it! As it says Dave: The road to perfection has always some thorns on its path.
hope the itchy itchy is going away soon!
Get well!
Cheers
Yup, I am doing the calamine lotion boogy today. Ha ha. Dave P.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Dave P said:
The Swed Hunther said:
Wow, what a story!!

Cheers
First aid for poison oak: slice a fresh button mushroom (Agarius bisporus, white button mushroom), and wipe the affected poison oak area with the sliced side of the mushroom. Degrades the active ingredient on contact. Works best if you avoid using an Amanita. But even that would probably work. Be SURE to wash with soap afterwards.

Active ingredient in poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac is urushiol. Cut surface of almost any mushroom will probably work, but best to avoid poisonous mushrooms.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Tuberale said:
Dave P said:
The Swed Hunther said:
Wow, what a story!!

Cheers
First aid for poison oak: slice a fresh button mushroom (Agarius bisporus, white button mushroom), and wipe the affected poison oak area with the sliced side of the mushroom. Degrades the active ingredient on contact. Works best if you avoid using an Amanita. But even that would probably work. Be SURE to wash with soap afterwards.

Active ingredient in poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac is urushiol. Cut surface of almost any mushroom will probably work, but best to avoid poisonous mushrooms.
Thanks for the advice. I have some mushrooms in the frig, I will check that out. Dave P.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
4-H said:
**Please nominate these fellow treasurenetters an Honorable mention for this Honorable deed.

It's too bad there were no faces, or pictures of the jewelry. :( (in case you were wondering why it was ruled out).

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Marc said:
4-H said:

It's too bad there were no faces, or pictures of the jewelry. :( (in case you were wondering why it was ruled out).
As soon as the Police close their case here I will get all of the photos online. In the mean time here are some that I don't think the Police would mind me showing.

Attachments

• Stolen Jewelry 016.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 016.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,784
  • Stolen Jewelry 006.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 006.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 1,706
  • Stolen Jewelry 007.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 007.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,676
  • Stolen Jewelry 014.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 014.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,648
  • Stolen Jewelry 013.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 013.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,646
  • Stolen Jewelry 012.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 012.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,639
  • Stolen Jewelry 016.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 016.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,629
  • Stolen Jewelry 017.JPG
    Stolen Jewelry 017.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,611
OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Tuberale said:
So ... the official thanks from the police department means nada to TNet?
I guess the Police did not mention treasurenet.com but I did in my letter here. Besides, it's really all about doing the right thing and help the people who lost their items getting them back. We are always glad to help the Community when ever and where ever we can. We are not looking for name recognition per say but when asked we will mention our Clubs names. I know the Police are very thankful with all our help, both spoken and unspoken. Dave P.

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
Dave P said:
Tuberale said:
I guess the Police did not mention treasurenet.com but I did in my letter here. Besides, it's really all about doing the right thing and help the people who lost their items getting them back. We are always glad to help the Community when ever and where ever we can. We are not looking for name recognition per say but when asked we will mention our Clubs names. I know the Police are very thankful with all our help, both spoken and unspoken. Dave P.
I'm with ya Dave!
To me it's about knowing how those folks who thought they'd never see their jewelry/keepsakes again felt when they got that call from the Black Mountain PD. I quite honestly feel happier than past hunts where I have found diamond rings under circumstances where I was able to keep them. Although those finds made me do the happy dance too! ;D

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
waterfalljay said:
Dave P said:
Tuberale said:
I'm with ya Dave!
To me it's about knowing how those folks who thought they'd never see their jewelry/keepsakes again felt when they got that call from the Black Mountain PD. I quite honestly feel happier than past hunts where I have found diamond rings under circumstances where I was able to keep them. Although those finds made me do the happy dance too! ;D
I have a Friend in our club who just recently found a very nice mans diamond ring of high value on Myrtle Beach. He managed to locate the owner. He got a letter of thanks and a nice check for $125.00. Now that has to be a great feeling eh?

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done dave, i wish i could have spent more time with all involved, if i ever build a home on my lot in transylvania co. i would be honored to join your club. i had a great time, mark.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
marinedad said:
well done Dave, i wish i could have spent more time with all involved, if i ever build a home on my lot in transylvania co. i would be honored to join your club. i had a great time, mark.

Hey Mark, nice to hear from you. I enjoyed your company on this hunt. As soon as our property sells here in NC we are hitting the road in our RV full time. I have a DFX and plan on buying 2 more from Whites, a water machine and another land one. I haven't decided on which land one yet, they have a nice new one that cost about $1400. bucks I like. But when we hit the road I hope we can hook up together and do some detecting around this great Country of ours. Mean while, keep safe out there and good hunting to You and Yours. Dave P.

OP
OP
D

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
4-H said:
Marc said:
4-H said:

Not that I need any recognition, but the camp sure does.
4-h was involved as well as Waterfalljay, Marinedad.

The names are in the thank you letter from the police chief.
Faces are in the photos above.
The jewelry will be posted.
But not until the community claims what is theirs.
If we post the photos then any one could call in and claim the loot.

The next time your having a hunt at the 4-H Camp,please let me know. My wife and I would love to come and maybe give you folks a hand. I love watching the youngsters getting a thrill out of finding buried treasure. I wish I would have been involved in 4-H when I was young. I did however belong to the Boy Scouts for many years and really learned a lot from them. I wished we had metal detectors back then. The earlier you get started in this hobby the more you'll out of it you get through a life time of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread