Cabin Fever ID Tag Return!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While some of us are unable to do any detecting in the winter months, we are able to go through some of the things we found last year and review them.

This is how this return came about, I was going through some of my finds and cleaning them, when I came upon a ID tag, with a name and
address on it. I looked on the White pages for the name and town and came up with a few possibilities. I finally called the right person and asked if he knew a Carl H****linger, yes he said that is his name.

I told him that I metal detect for a hobby and I thought that I found something that may have belonged to him many years ago. It turned out to be over 50 years ago. We made arrangements for me to return this ID Tag to him. When I returned it to him, he said he remembered it well. All the scouts in the troop wore them and of course some of the scouts lost the ID Tag.

Well it gave me Great pleasure to return this item to this fellow, who had lost it so many years ago and to help him bring back so many fond memories of his scouting days. I found it at a old camp site that held many memories and many great old finds. I have been able to return a few items that I have found at this site.

I am including a picture of me returning the ID tag, which looked like a post card, it even had a postage stamp engraved on it, along with the address of his grandfathers house where he lived as a young man.

Attachments

• ID tag.jpg
    ID tag.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 459
  • Returning Boy Scout ID.jpg
    Returning Boy Scout ID.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 489

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was a class act deserving of honorable mention on this site. I would expect no less of you my friend. HH, Quindy.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was real good of you!
HH, RCW

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Yes, Good Job on retuning the tag, memories are priceless !

TommNJ

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Ye sir that has my vote for Honorable Mention! Very nice job. :thumbsup: jgas

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
That's a good story.
Congrats on the good deed.
Dman

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Denny

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good, RF! I'm sure he was thrilled to revisit those memories. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
That was a class act deserving of honorable mention on this site. I would expect no less of you my friend. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, hope you and Dman get back to hunting together soon, I'm sure he is Ready!!

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damon64 said:
Good job!

Thanks Damon!

Nana40 said:
You did good, RF! I'm sure he was thrilled to revisit those memories. :icon_thumright:

Thanks Nana, it took me over an hour to leave, listening to all of his memories fromt he past. I enjoyed it!

mosemeister said:
Very commendable gesture :icon_thumright:

Thank You

Goes4ever said:
Nice job Denny

Thanks Goes4ever, you still diggin up all the land in VanWert, I see your post on Craigslist, very good idea. Maybe I can come back over this spring and do another hunt with you.

TommNJ said:
Yes, Good Job on retuning the tag, memories are priceless !

TommNJ

Thanks Tomm, the poor man was in a wheel chair as he lost one leg, I know I brought back a lot of good memories for him. Glad I could do that!

RCW said:
That was real good of you!
HH, RCW
Thank You RCW, I always like to give back, as I'm sure you and everyone else who metal detects.

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
Ye sir that has my vote for Honorable Mention! Very nice job. :thumbsup: jgas

Thanks Jgas, by the way, I love the bottle, I found a half of one this past fall at a old colonial site. Sure would like to find the rest of it.

Dman said:
That's a good story.
Congrats on the good deed.
Dman

Thanks Dman, nice to see you on and able to type, hope you are doing much better and ready to hit the hills of Tenn and hunt with Quindy!

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread