31 class ring found today..anyone up for research?UPDATED WITH PICS!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Im up north on a mini vaca. Found a 1931 10k class ring today in the lake.The high school letters are WHHHS...there is a 1924 under the school shield which I would assume is the date of the schools inception.There is an LS monogram inside.Appears to be a female size.Im able to use my Mothers computer to post but am having little luck in research.Found William H Hall High School in Hartford but couldnt find any History.( I hate this computer),I realize there is a slim chance the owner of the ring is still with us, or that I can locate her,but who knows.?Maybe she has a daughter or granddaughter that would like it.Ill post pics when I get back.Everyone have a great 4th....Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 31 class ring found today..anyone up for research?

Sounds like you're off to a start - check out the HS website and maybe post on the students/reunion section - if nothing else, send some e-mails and find out if the school was around in 1931 (there is a picture of the band from 1939)

Good luck - I'll see if I can find anything else.

http://www.whps.org/schools/hall/

You didn't say where you were vacationing, but since you are from Michigan (I think?), it would be surprising if it was lost by someone who went to HS in Connecticut, but stranger things have happened I'm certain! Needless to say this might be a very fun detective story - please keep us updated and I'll bet there are others here who will help. The only thing I can think of as wonderful as returning a ring that old to the owner would be returning it to a relative who would surely appreciate the momento

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland

There is also a William Henry Harrison High school in Indiana. I've sent an e-mail to members of the Alumni at both schools just to try to figure out if the dates match or maybe close to those on the ring. I will let you know if I hear anything back.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find Joe, I found a ring years ago, that I returned. The fellow lost the ring
when he was 8 yrs. old. When I returned his mothers wedding ring to him, he was
78 years old.

I also returned a class ring last year to a fellow who lost it in a lake near me. He lost
it when he was 19 yrs. old and when I returned it last year he was 75 years old.
The class ring was from 1946. It took a lot of research buy I found him, he now lives
in Florida.

Keep us posted, sometimes you can return them and sometimes you just have to give up!

HH, Ringfinder

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA

i recently returned one from 1939.
Call the school, if you can pinpoint which school and if it still open, have them go through their archives of that graduating class. Then grab a phone book. hope it helps

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland

I've received emails from both people I contacted William Henry Harrison school is definiatly out. I was told it did not open until 1970. William H hall school is probably your best bet. She told me that she attended the "new" hall high and we should try to contact the school board for information about the dates of the old school. I'll try that and let you know.

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just got back home and Wow...Cant believe the awesome finds posted from this weekend.Congrats to everyone.Well , my four day weekend turned into two after experiencing mechanical problems with my truck.So working with a condensed schedule I opted not to visit the old lumber camp I had in my plans.Instead , the first hunt consisted of 45 minutes in the lake at my In-laws Monday afternoon..Found a few clad pieces, three 50s Wheats and the 10K 1931 class ring before the dinner bell rang.After getting the family to bed that night I headed down to the local beach to try my luck.I had forgotten my head lamp so I got my first taste of water hunting ..totally blind.It was pretty cool because I couldnt tell exactly what I was finding, so it was a surprise when I got home.Hunted from about 11 till 2AM and scored....a hand full of clad, a 42 Washington(almost a cookie coin).,a previously plated copper ring, a delicate 925 toe ring, and yet another class ring! Jumbo mans 10K white gold...1974 Dearborn High School.Heres the pics.,..including a pic my wife snuck of Jopher...(almost as elusive as bigfoot).Also...Thanks to everyone for thier help on the classring.YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,426
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,359
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,359
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,481
OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Almost forgot...another find. My boys and I found this 5"...."Skink" while doing yard work at my cabin.Im told that it is the only true lizard native to Michigan.Never seen one before...thought it was pretty cool.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,797

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG Joe,
congrats big time on all your great finds this weekend,
hope your truck thing works out, good luck. Bummer.

I will be looking forward to seeing your research and return results.

Big Smiles!
BDoo

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Good luck finding the owners (or families) for those rings. I lost mine in 1993, would like to get it back. Nice Skink, too! Keep searching!

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
UPDATE Retured Jan 20..Found tonight....owner of 74 classring lost in 75

After hitting some dead ends on my class ring searches, I finally made a connection on one via a radio show host out of Lansing.....anyone listen to Mike in the morning?(101.7)I contacted him as he was a later graduate of one of the High Schools I was researching.He in turn contacted a female friend whos brother had graduated there in 74 and who still had his yearbook.She got the yearbook, matched up the initials,and actually tracked the guy down.She e-mailed me back that she had just gotten off of the phone with him and he was blown away!He had confirmed the area in which I had found it and said that he lost it a year after graduation.She has since forwarded him my E-mail so I am waiting for him to contact me...Ill see if I cant get a pic somehow to commemerate the return.Ill have to dig up the original post...it must have been in June or July.....Keep you UPDATED.....Joe http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,40451.msg287367.html#msg287367
Update...Met up with the owner of the 74 class ring (Kieth) on saturday, Jan 20. He and his wife travelled down from Traverse City to Houghton Lake where we met at the beach where he had lost the ring 31 years prior.Turns out the ring was the last gift from his mother before her passing.It was a very special gift and he had lost it in a mudball assault on one of his buddies as they were loading a boat.They searched for it for three hours and finally gave up assuming it was lost forever.He could only shake his head in disbelief that the ring had made its way back to him.Obviously a great moment for me as well.We shook hands and parted ways with a smile and a wave.Although I had asked for nothing, Kieth had given me a thank you card containing a generous reward....My wife and I had a nice dinner on Kieth that night...thank you. Knowing that I had helped reunite him with a special piece of his own history was the largest reward. A special thanks to Mike ,Diane, and Dianes brother for helping make this happen.Also to Kieths wife....Our photographer.......Im "Ski Doo" man...it was Tip up Town weekend and I had been doing some riding.Heres the final pic......Joe
If you look closely , youll see the ring now fits on his pinky!

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,190
R

redneckinwayz

Re: Found tonight....owner of 74 classring lost in 75

That is some awesome news.

18.gif

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is excellent Jopher!! No doubt you made that person very happy. Your the man!!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Thanks awesome Jopher! Way to go!! Isn't is amazing how small our world really is?

HH,
Moon

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most righteous. That just helps give us all a better image and possibly you a new friend. Congrats on the return.

Laater...

P

PHANTOM35

VERY COOL, YOU NEED TO TAKE PIC'S OF YOU HANDING IT BACK TO HIM. THAT WOULD BE VERY COOL.
W-T-G MAN . HAPPY HUNTING ;)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a great story...nice research!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread