A bad day turns into a great experience

smb

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2009
Last weekend I decided to try a new area. I mapped out 4 parks and got up at 7am for the 20 mile drive. I left in a fog that turned into light, intermittent rain but I was determined and knew that the probability of precipitation was low for the area I was going to.

For one reason or another, 3 of the 4 parks were non-detectable when I arrived and the weather started to turn.

The 4th park was next to an elementary school so I parked near their wood chip playground and decided to chance the weather knowing I could run back to my car. I ended up getting caught in a storm and spent about 20 minutes of my hunt taking shelter under the playground equipment. Between the two wood chip playgrounds, I found about $5 in clad, an arcade token, and a cheap earring. Not a failure by my standards but not worth the energy or time.

The weather started to clear but I only had a little time left before I had to leave so I decided to try the adjacent park's sand playground. It was awful. I kept getting false readings, non-repeatable readings, the digging was tough, and my pinpointer's battery was dying.

On my way back to my car, I decided to try between the park's parallel bars (always fruitful for me). It wasn't until the last foot of detecting that I got a big, solid reading and found an 8GB iPod Touch under about an inch of sand! It still had battery life and worked perfectly (besides being a little sandy).

I've always vowed to be dilligent and honest if I find items that are traceable. I've returned a few pet tags and reported a found bird band. The iPod was easy. A little digging and I determined the owner was a 12-year-old girl. I had her phone number and e-mail address but decided to e-mail her father so it wouldn't be 'creepy'. Her parents' contact information was in her address book.

Today, a week later, I met her father at the park and returned it to him. Although we'd been exchanging e-mail for a few days, he hadn't told her about me finding it. We spoke for a few minutes and I found out that she'd lost it the weekend before I found it and after looking for it they were certain that it was gone forever or destroyed by the rains.

On my way home my phone rang and it was (completely unexpected) the girl thanking me for finding it. Her father had told her to call me. She was articulate and very appreciative. That felt really good.

I may not have been able to find the owners for the other valuables I've found (and cashed in) and some of my return experiences have been for people who were suspicious, barely thankful, or wasted my time. Still, I encourage all of you to keep at it and restore a little hope in humanity.

-SMB

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU DID GOOD......because it was the right thing to do. Keep doing good.
There will always be unappreciative folks......they have to live with themselves.
But, once in a while, there is a young person, and his/her father, who know how to act
right, and who know that you didn't have to do what you did.
You are right......we are all humans, and we have to live in this world together. Ones like
you make it worthwhile, and fun. :thumbsup:

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
it leaves a plain old good feeling in you when you can return somthing like the better the silver and gold nice job

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
These are the actions that help lift our hobby up, unlike the people who leave gopher holes and create irate park employees, dragging us down in the process.
This deserves to be an Honorable Mention. The find could easily been kept but was returned. Certainly there were a few grateful people in the bunch.

GAOldsman

Mar 10, 2011
Perry, GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. That iPod probably costs around $150.00, I know she was happy to have it back. No good deed goes long long without reward, so keep swinging and something great will dug. But first you may want to stock up on the batteries. HH
Scot

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for doing the right thing!!!!

My 10 year old daughter has the exact same iPod Touch, and it means the world to her. It would be earth shattering if she ever lost it...she worked so hard last summer earning it.

As I read along, I couldn't help but think of my own daughter and her iPod.

There are some good, honest people left in the world.

Thank you for being one of them.

catfishterry

Jan 22, 2006
Troy Il.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Vibra probe
If you ever find anything like that and you know it got wet wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a jar and fill it with rice. The rice will draw out any moisture in the device and it should be good as new. Great job on returning and good hunting in the future.

DiggingVA

Greenie
Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Thanks for representing our little hobby with respect and honesty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread