Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: help us to find the soldier schueler

Two presentation are currently being planned; one, when the tag and discovery video are first available for 'casual' presentation--by the Commander of the local American Legion Post and the vet's daughter.
A second 'ceremonial' presentation by the Commander at the local American Legion Post during their Memorial Day ceremony.
Background information is being gathered on the vet's unit, the 94th Infantry Batallion (think: Battle of the Bulge, etc.) that will also be presented, along with the video from the finder, "dudule44".
Don.......

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon said:
Two presentation are currently being planned; one, when the tag and discovery video are first available for 'casual' presentation--by the Commander of the local American Legion Post and the vet's daughter.
A second 'ceremonial' presentation by the Commander at the local American Legion Post during their Memorial Day ceremony.
Background information is being gathered on the vet's unit, the 94th Infantry Batallion (think: Battle of the Bulge, etc.) that will also be presented, along with the video from the finder, "dudule44".
Don.......

Awesome! When all is said and done I'm voting banner!

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BRAVO :hello2: BANNER

OP
OP
dudule44

dudule44

Greenie
May 6, 2010
NANTES
Detector(s) used
xp adx 250, TESORO BANDIDO

Hello Don,
The inventor of this dog tad it is my team-mate ERIC44.
I was just in same road near fields when he found it.
I was just only helping to find the soldier SCHUELER and it would never have been possible without the help of DON.
Thank you very much Don, i'll never forget that.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If this isnt banner material I dont know what ever would be. Banner in my book...d2

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

dudule:
If 'Eric44' is okay with the idea, please give me his name via Email, PM or on this thread. When the tag is presented, I'll make sure his name is also mentioned--at both ceremonies.
Don.......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Update:
Video of area where the dog tag was found, the dog tag itself and pics of the finders, etc. are being sent this week from the finders in France to the Commander of the local VFW here in the States. A French treasure mag. is also interested in doing a spread on this event. They'll get the pics from the US ceremonies (2) and send to France. In the US there will be a 'casual' ceremony ASAP then a more formal one on (appropriately) Memorial Day. Some of the GI's hero WW II buddies are going to be in attendance. The soldier knows the dog tag has been found, but he has no clue about the ceremonies--only the process has begun to give him back his ID.
Don........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Update:
The dog tag arrived today in the States; and is currently in the possession of the Commander of the local VFW post. Both he and the GI's daughter are creating a strategy for its presentation.
Don........

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a fascinating thread! Well done to all concerned, especially Don.!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I commend and appreciate the efforts of everyone who who played a part in finding and returning this dog tag back to it's rightful owner. Fascinating thread. :notworthy: A definite Honorable Mention.

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo

10-4 on the tears to the eyes. Outstanding work by everyone involved and kudo's to the investigator who located the warrior. Thanks all. This kind of story is another reason I love being a member of Tnet.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

CanadianTrout said:
Impressive Mackaydon, impressive. :hello2:

I said it before and I'll say it again. Very impressive Mackaydon, I bet you and everyone invovlved is very proud.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The first poster, 'dudule44' and his hunting partner, Eric have now sent sand and pepple samples from Utah Beach, Normandy to the Commander of the local (Illinois) American Legion chapter. Those samples plus a video of the find area and Utah Beach, pics and the dog tag will be part of the presentation.

I've also researched and determined (by tracking the Battalion's CPs during this period) that this hero was in the area during a tight time frame (22 Dec 44 and 3 Jan 45). Perhaps he lost the ID during a Christmas or New Year's celebration. All the elements are coming together and will culminate with the Memorial Day ceremony and presentation.
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

We're getting closer by the day to complete 'closure'.
Still to go is the receipt of sand and pebbles from Utah Beach and a video of that area; then the formal ceremony on Memorial Day with the American Legion Commander presenting the hero with his ID tag. Eric and Georges are to be credited with the original find, posting to Treasure Net and the transmittal of video, sand and pebbles.
Don.......

tater307

Apr 18, 2011
Farmland Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS, Troy Shadow X3, Ace 250

That is the most amazing thing i have seen in a long time. All involved are standup people and i applaud you!!!!!!!!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is truly a great story! I'm reading this while drinking my coffee and getting ready to go look for a wedding ring for someone on craigslist, which pales in comparison to all this. Good work to everyone involved, I'd love to hear more about this story. Giving something like that back is an honor I have heard all about but can only imagine.

A friend of mine found a dogtag in Papau New guinea about 6 years ago. He decided to try to track down the Marines family, and to his surprise found the vet still living in California. He was able to return it in person, and said it was one of the best experiences of his life being able to sit down with him and actually hear the story of the day it was lost! I'll try to get the full story and post it in another thread soon.

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.

This is without a doubt one of the best threads I have come across on Treasurenet. To all who participated in the return I salute you. It's very gratifying to see the compassion and respect paid to our vets. They deserve all the recognition they can get and there are fewer left every day.
My Dad flew an F6F Hellcat off the USS Essex in the Pacific in WWII so I have very special place in my heart for our veterans.
God bless you all!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread