Gold and Diamonds on Virginia Beach
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gold and Diamonds on Virginia Beach

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2011
    North Boston, Western NY
    Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
    7 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Gold and Diamonds on Virginia Beach

I needed a break from lousy weather so my wife and I decided to drive to Virginia Beach for a few days of relaxation. I never detected on the beach before so I took my detector along. After a couple of days I only had $2 in change to show for my efforts. Tuesday afternoon a guy runs up to me and says he needs my help. He lost his keys in a 20' x 20' area, or so he thought. I searched the area he outlined to no avail. I felt really bad I couldn't help him but I'm sure he lost them somewhere else. My wife commented that she thinks there's something wrong with my detector because I haven't found anything good.

That evening we walked the boardwalk to a restaurant for dinner. We had a late dinner and finished around 9PM. On the way back, we saw two people scanning an area of the beach with flashlights. We both thought the same thing so I went over and asked if they lost something. The guy and his sister started telling me a story about how his pregnant wife was at the beach several hours before and placed her rings on the sand where she was sitting. She forgot about them until she got home. She was distraught, to say the least. Her husband and his sister came back to look for them. I told them that if they hung out for a while I would get my detector. About a half-hour later I was back and they were still looking. He described the area they were in and I began an East-West overlapping search pattern. Then I went over it again going North-South. Nothing but some change. I asked the guy if he was sure of the area and he was, but I extended the search a little further. After 45 minutes or so he thanked me for trying to help but decided that someone else must have found them. He was giving up and going home to comfort his wife. I asked if he had a cell phone number and I would continue to search and call if I found anything. He gave me a number but thought "Sure he'll call if he finds them".

The time was 10:40PM and I said to myself I'd give it another 20 minutes. I expanded the search area again and made a couple of passes. Then I paused for a few seconds and said a short prayer "Lord, please allow me to help this couple by finding their rings". About a minute later I picked up two solid targets about an inch or two apart and one inch deep. The tone was the same as what I got from my wedding band when I did a test sweep on it. In went the scoop and when I shook it once I saw the unmistakable glint of gold. Wow! Then I looked down at the little sand pile that pushed up when I removed the scoop and there was another glint. Double wow!

I dialed the cell number and the wife answered sounding pretty depressed. I told her who I was and said I just found two rings. She almost dropped the phone and said very excitedly "Talk to my husband". He got on and I told him the same thing. "No way!" was his reply. He asked what they looked like and I asked him to describe the rings and if the description fits, he can have them. He said 14K white gold, a round diamond with four more on each side in the engagement ring and a matching white gold band with several diamonds inset around it. Yep, that's what I had. I told him to come down and get them. His response was "I love you man!. What can I do for you?". I told him my reward was knowing I did the right thing and made someone very happy. I also thanked him for serving our country. We agreed to have him meet me in my hotel lobby.

They live in town so it wasn't a long wait until he and his wife showed up. After introductions I reached in my pocket and pulled out the rings. They practically jumped out of my hand onto her finger. She was so choked up she couldn't finish what she was trying to say. The tears were flowing pretty regularly as we talked for a while and she kept saying how thankful they were and that it was a miracle. He's in the Navy and they already have a child with another on the way. He told me he had spent every penny he had on those rings when they got married a couple years ago. He had paid $8000 for them and only one was insured.

Hugs and handshakes followed and then they were on their way. When I told my wife the whole story she was just as happy as I was. Sorry for the picture not being the greatest but I can tell you that the rings are beautiful. I also included a picture of the happy couple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg 
Views:	1316 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	522088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg 
Views:	1317 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	522089  
    Old Dude likes this.

us
    Jan 2006
    Palm Harbor, FL
    excal / Fisher
    76 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Gold and Diamonds on Virginia Beach

Outstanding Recovery!!!! I bet they were totally shocked. Just goes to show you that going that extra time can produce results. Now just apply that to your everyday treasure hunting! Now I bet your wife wants a set to wear on her finger!

us
    Apr 2011
    Arizona

Super cool. Makes me want to go out and buy a detector myself.

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    185 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

that was a beautiful ring !!
    ALLEN

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2011
    Millsboro,De.
    Whites Classic ID/w Mods
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Thats a great story,You got some good Karma coming your way.I applaud you
    HH
    Dave

us
    Medicine/Holy Man

May 2010
    California
    Whites MXT, Whites TDI
    593 times

Thanks for being a Metal Detecting Diplomat.

I've given you an Honorable Mention.

Eagle

Felinepeachy

What a great story! You're a sweetheart for doing that. WTG!

us
    Mar 2008
    southern utah
    White MXT
    3 times

great story & im sure you will get your just reward.

us
    The Past Tells the Future! Let's try not to do it over .

Feb 2011
    Strafford , Missouri
    Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
    16 times

This is just awesome ! What you have done is give that young lady back something that cannot be put into words .
    Nice work !!!
    Few things I love to do is , Metal Detecting for anything of the past!
    Making Detectors better ! Tuning and finding ways to upgrade Detector hardware , To make them work the Best that is possable !

us
    Dec 2009
    Richmond VA
    Deep Tech Vista Gold, Teknetics G2, Nautalis DMCIIB, Minelab Explorer XS, Fisher 1266
    19 times

Very cool story! Hats off to you!!! Way to go!!!

us
    Mar 2011
    New York
    6 times

That's very cool...
    THE BEST IS YET TO COME

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada (Southern Ontario)
    XP Deus 5.2 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    6906 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great job N2CU!
    You're a true ambassador for our hobby!

Dave
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
    28 times

Great story!!! It's a good thing Gravedigger Max wasn't around Just kidding, he probably would have done the same. Good deal
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure" Mark Twain"

us
    Jun 2010
    west michigan
    minelab explorer, cz6a
    3 times

Congrats for being a wonderful person.

**Bring History Back to Life**

Nov 2005
    Keep on Digging!
    MINELAB Explorer-II
    76 times
    Banner Finds (4)

WTG........Great find. Its nice to get away for a while , everyone needs that!!!!
    Keep on Digging!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links