Gold and Diamonds on Virginia Beach

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed a break from lousy weather so my wife and I decided to drive to Virginia Beach for a few days of relaxation. I never detected on the beach before so I took my detector along. After a couple of days I only had $2 in change to show for my efforts. Tuesday afternoon a guy runs up to me and says he needs my help. He lost his keys in a 20' x 20' area, or so he thought. I searched the area he outlined to no avail. I felt really bad I couldn't help him but I'm sure he lost them somewhere else. My wife commented that she thinks there's something wrong with my detector because I haven't found anything good.

That evening we walked the boardwalk to a restaurant for dinner. We had a late dinner and finished around 9PM. On the way back, we saw two people scanning an area of the beach with flashlights. We both thought the same thing so I went over and asked if they lost something. The guy and his sister started telling me a story about how his pregnant wife was at the beach several hours before and placed her rings on the sand where she was sitting. She forgot about them until she got home. She was distraught, to say the least. Her husband and his sister came back to look for them. I told them that if they hung out for a while I would get my detector. About a half-hour later I was back and they were still looking. He described the area they were in and I began an East-West overlapping search pattern. Then I went over it again going North-South. Nothing but some change. I asked the guy if he was sure of the area and he was, but I extended the search a little further. After 45 minutes or so he thanked me for trying to help but decided that someone else must have found them. He was giving up and going home to comfort his wife. I asked if he had a cell phone number and I would continue to search and call if I found anything. He gave me a number but thought "Sure he'll call if he finds them".

The time was 10:40PM and I said to myself I'd give it another 20 minutes. I expanded the search area again and made a couple of passes. Then I paused for a few seconds and said a short prayer "Lord, please allow me to help this couple by finding their rings". About a minute later I picked up two solid targets about an inch or two apart and one inch deep. The tone was the same as what I got from my wedding band when I did a test sweep on it. In went the scoop and when I shook it once I saw the unmistakable glint of gold. Wow! Then I looked down at the little sand pile that pushed up when I removed the scoop and there was another glint. Double wow!

I dialed the cell number and the wife answered sounding pretty depressed. I told her who I was and said I just found two rings. She almost dropped the phone and said very excitedly "Talk to my husband". He got on and I told him the same thing. "No way!" was his reply. He asked what they looked like and I asked him to describe the rings and if the description fits, he can have them. He said 14K white gold, a round diamond with four more on each side in the engagement ring and a matching white gold band with several diamonds inset around it. Yep, that's what I had. I told him to come down and get them. His response was "I love you man!. What can I do for you?". I told him my reward was knowing I did the right thing and made someone very happy. I also thanked him for serving our country. We agreed to have him meet me in my hotel lobby.

They live in town so it wasn't a long wait until he and his wife showed up. After introductions I reached in my pocket and pulled out the rings. They practically jumped out of my hand onto her finger. She was so choked up she couldn't finish what she was trying to say. The tears were flowing pretty regularly as we talked for a while and she kept saying how thankful they were and that it was a miracle. He's in the Navy and they already have a child with another on the way. He told me he had spent every penny he had on those rings when they got married a couple years ago. He had paid $8000 for them and only one was insured.

Hugs and handshakes followed and then they were on their way. When I told my wife the whole story she was just as happy as I was. Sorry for the picture not being the greatest but I can tell you that the rings are beautiful. I also included a picture of the happy couple.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,376
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,386

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Outstanding Recovery!!!! I bet they were totally shocked. Just goes to show you that going that extra time can produce results. Now just apply that to your everyday treasure hunting! Now I bet your wife wants a set to wear on her finger!

phifly04

Feb 13, 2011
Millsboro,De.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID/w Mods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great story,You got some good Karma coming your way.I applaud you :hello2:
HH
Dave

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for being a Metal Detecting Diplomat.

I've given you an Honorable Mention.

Eagle

F

Felinepeachy

What a great story! :hello2: You're a sweetheart for doing that. WTG! :notworthy:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just awesome ! What you have done is give that young lady back something that cannot be put into words .
Nice work !!!

rjs123

Dec 14, 2009
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Deep Tech Vista Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story! Hats off to you!!! Way to go!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job N2CU! :icon_thumright:
You're a true ambassador for our hobby! :notworthy:

Dave

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!!! It's a good thing Gravedigger Max wasn't around :tongue3: Just kidding, he probably would have done the same. Good deal :icon_thumright:

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG........Great find. Its nice to get away for a while , everyone needs that!!!! :hello2: :hello2:

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
What you did for that couple was worth way more than what those rings could have given you.
You did a wonderful thing my friend !!!

Chris Canada

Feb 9, 2007
Niagara
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Tessoro Vaqureo, NoktaMakro Simplex+, garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome Story!!!
That couple will never forget what you have done for them,as will many that have read your story!
way to go.
:icon_thumright:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:headbang: Shoot!...I'll be your team mate anyday. You've got true grit my friend and it's the rear good old school kind(Old fashion). :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread