Class Ring found, lost, found and returned! See first post for update!

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday Jayson (Staydetuned) and I were back in Golden Gate Park in the nice field where I found my first Barber dime last week. We had been there about an hour and Jayson had walked over with his second Mercury dime in his mouth, giving it that nice cleaning. I was down on my knees digging a target as Jayson was telling me that he pulled the silver dime from underneath a shallow pull-tab. As he was telling me how he was able to hear the dime under the pull-tab I was telling him that I also was digging a target that had two items in close proximity. I had dug a normal plug and pulled a random piece of trash out of the main hole already before Jayson had approached me.

After we had talked for a few minutes I told Jayson there was something shallow adjacent to the first target I had dug. While he was standing there I pulled up a very small plug and this class ring fell out. It was somewhere between 1-2 inches deep. It was a tiny women's class ring from 2010, obviously a recent drop. The school name was St. Margaret of Scotland, so I thought I would be looking for a school and person from across the pond.

Larry2a.JPG

This morning I got up and started Googling the gal's name and school. It turns out she graduated cum laude and I found a picture of her at her graduation. The school is actually St. Margaret's Episcopal School in San Juan Capistrano here in California. Next I checked Facebook, but there is no one with that name on Facebook. Eventually I was able to track down other recent graduates from that high school. I kept cross-referencing those people's Facebook friends and eventually found a gal with the same name, but she has since dropped the last letter from her last name. Her profile picture on her Facebook account looks like the same gal in her graduation picture.

As soon as this post goes live I will send her a message via Facebook with a link to this post. Hopefully I will be able to meet her at the place where I found the ring so that I can return it to her. When I return the ring to her I will update this post with a new picture!

Top.jpg
2010.jpg
Tartans.jpg
************************************************************************************************************
After tracking down the owner of the ring I agreed to mail it to her in southern California to a P.O. Box. I had packaged the ring carefully so that it would not get damaged. As I got the correct postage applied by postal worker, she asked me: "Do you want tracking or insurance on your package?"
I thought to myself, "This small package is going from one post office to another... how could it get lost?" I declined the tracking and insurance, a decision that would haunt me for the next three weeks. As I left the post office I sent an email to the gal that her ring was in the mail and should arrive in a couple of days.

After a week had passed and I did not hear from her, I sent her another email asking if she had received the ring. She said she had not received it. ??? I now felt like an idiot for not getting the tracking.

After about three weeks the package mysteriously appeared at her post office and she was re-united with her ring! She was kind enough to send me a couple of pictures. Thank you Marisa! Now get that ring re-sized before you lose it again!

All is well that ends well!
:hello2: :hello2:

Attachments

• marisa1.jpg
    marisa1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 734
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 726

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Class Ring found, owner located on Facebook and soon to be contacted

Awesome! Keep us posted on the return. :headbang:

Bunker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Super Larry,oh,by the way,where's your kneepads,your over40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)

worldtalker said:
Super Larry,oh,by the way,where's your kneepads,your over40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch-it!! Not all of us over 40-ers NEED kneepads (yet)!!! :laughing9:

Great find and story!!!! :hello2:

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

worldtalker said:

I let the caked-on mud protect my knees!
I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of tracking this gal down. I sent her a friend request on Facebook but was unable to attach a message so I changed my profile picture to her ring. I was able to send some of her friends a message that I found her ring and to pass the info on to her.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

DrGeorge,YOU WILL!!!!!!SO WILL YOU LARRY.Gettin down ain't bad,it's the gettin BACK UP.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well done. :hello2: I still haven't found a class ring. :dontknow:
Good luck on the return. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The owner has finally been re-united with her ring!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Larry. She looks like a happy young lady. :hello2: :thumbsup:
-MM-

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
That is what this hobby is all about! What a great story, congrats and thanks for raising the standards of our great hobby :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread