Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you Return a Ring to it's Owner ?

If you Did...

#1. Did You Post the Find when you Found It ?

#2. Did You Return The Item to its Owner ?

#3. Do You Have any Photographic Proof of this, Posted to your Thread ? (this can Consist of A picture of the Owner, A Thank you Letter, Newspaper Article or anything else to Show it was returned)

If You can Answer Yes to all 3 of these Conditions above...

I want the Link to your Post, so I can Include it in Our Honorable Members... Where members of distinction are honored.

Thank You !
Jeff

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did You Help the Police ? Help someone Find a Ring ?, or any other Item ?

Do you have Photos ? a Thank you Letter ? Newspaper Article ?

These are Also Honorable. and we would like to Honor you for it.​

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beale said:
Jeff,

I have returned 15 different rings to their owners. Never had any newspaper coverage or a letter of thank you. The owner of the rings' thanks were enough. I know this isn't enough to qualify but it is true.

The last ring that I returned was a necklace class ring to Manusutten High School in northern Virginia. It had the girls name inside. I sent it to the principal but I never received a thank you. How the ring ended up in Henry County, Virginia. I never knew?

Beale, I personally Salute you for this.

However, To be Included in the Thread, We do Need at least some type of photos & Story.

Ring Found

Owner Contacted and How.

Ring Returned. (With pics, or Other if at all Possable)
I know not all Returnees will even Pose with or even write a thank
you so I'm willing to be Flexable on this.

It makes things more Intresting, then just "I found a ring & Returned it" Though.

Not that We won't Believe you, I have Returned Many Myself, But Unfortunately, I didn't have a Camera Back then. so I know what your saying.

Again, I salute you for your Honesty, & hopefully sometime
you can Submit a Story that can be added.

JEFF

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a silver ID bracelet with the name George A. Hormel II. He was the son of the founder of the Hormel Company. I posted a pic of this bracelet. (it was my second post on this forum). I was able to find and return it back to him after 60 years. I also spoke to him on the phone. He told me he lost it in 1946. He is now well into his 80's.
Never got a personal reply, but I know he got it because I sent it registered mail.

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I have a ring from a high school ring that I have not found the owner and have been trying. name is david a delassa or delosso middle township nj 1995

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
you want to hear some thing funny i just looked up the name on the ring i have and for the first time found them maybe just called the number and didnt get any one let message. Now I wait to see if they call back. hopefully it get returned.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Howdy Jeff, I suppose this is not really what you are looking for in here, according to your criteria but I do wanted to mention it to you anyway. I'm going to post a large Thank You! on the board where I found this valuable info in the first place; Recomended Reading, right after I post this note to you. :)

I know many future readers will benefit greatly from the information shared by, Floyd Mann, when he unselfishly gave a very hot link to the actual on-line version of a book which I have totally treasured since I first bought it back in the 80's. :o This book currently sells for a fair buck anywhere but now, thanks to Mr.Mann, anyone (well TreasureNet members anyway ;D) can view it and or print it out (for FREE) for their own personal TH'ing collection. You probably already know that this book contains some of the most valuable info for TH'ers that has ever been printed. The book? Treasure Hunters Manual #6. I know, hard to believe eh? ;)

Anywho Jeff, I'm off to post my thanks officially to Mr. Mann in the proper place right now. I'm sure I will be speaking for many on the forum who are either too shy or simply enjoy lurking, for whatever personal reasons they may have.

LarryB

P.S. As a really new member, I'd also like to Thank You, and or all the others who have been involved with the developement of this amazing website and totally informative Forum! My hat is off to you folks! 8)

Chillin' in Canada...

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
jeff of pa said:
Did you Return a Ring to it's Owner ?

If you Did.

#1. Did You Post the Find when you Found It ?

#2. Did You Return The Item to its Owner ?

#3. Do You Have any Photographic Proof of this, Posted to your Thread ? (this can Consist of A picture of the Owner, A Thank you Letter, Newspaper Article or anything else to Show it was returned)

If You can Answer Yes to all 3 of these Conditions above.
I want the Link to your Post, so I can Include it in Our Honorable Members
Where members of distinction are honored.​

Thank You !
Jeff

Yes I did. I found a 1951 high school ring and returned it to its owner. Photographic proof and the story about the ring is in the February 2007 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

Goldgrubber

Attachments

• S2400003.JPG
    S2400003.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,016

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi jeff AA here Jeff i found a WW2 dog tag at Hammer Field in Fresno Ca.It was a Army air base for training.Talking to another member(Felinepeachy) to try to return it. She got right on it and found out the man had died.But she did call another person and found the mans son.She said he was speechless and then started crying. So iam sending the dog tag tuesday.I only found it but i think credit should go to felinepeachy for doing all the leg work.They closed the base in 1945 so its been lost for a few years.

Attachments

• DSCN0721.jpg
    DSCN0721.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,748
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospectorYorkPA said:
Found a class ring and was able to retun it.

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/tell/month/2006-june.php#andypa

Best part of this was the fact that her mother lived in a log cabin (still intact but added on and never know it from the road built 1780's). Got permission to detect the property. Only was able to get there once last year. On my list for this year.

Congrats Prospector, But I can't take your Story from the Whites
Site & post it here.
If you posted it here when you found it & add your story
I can move it in.

Great Job Returning it !

JEFF

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I tried.....a farmer stopped me today while I was M/D and asked me to bring my detector over to his farm and see if I could find part of the hitch that fell of his tractor, it was buried in piles of manure somewhere....... :P

So I tried, but I think it was too deep....boy did I get nasty dirty...... ::)

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City
Jeff, this is not a criteria fitting reply, but I have to tell it anyway.
I am the father of a 14 year old Autistic son. I home school him, and most of the time it is pretty impersonal. He really has to have his interest peaked to make it more than just a task.
A member of this forum, Coolpix9 offered foriegn coins that he had recovered CRH'ing. I also recently started CRH'ing and discovered that my son showed interest in the canadian coins I was finding. I told him my story, and offered to pay for shipping on the coins.
We received the coins, postage paid. What a selection, ten different countries. My son is just ecstatic, we are researching a different country every day, TOGETHER. I don't know how Thank this man for his kind act. He has unknowingly given me a precious hour or so every day with my sons complete attention. I have struggled for ten years to find things that capture his attention so completely, with limited success.
I just want everyone to know the quality kind of people that inhabit our forum. I have never received an act of kindness from a complete stranger in this way before.
Thank You Jim, I am eternally grateful. Bongo

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
The only "CLASS RING" I ever found...

Had been lost about 8 years.

- I wasn't posting here at the time. But, I did post pics elsewhere.
- I researched and called the home where the young man was supposed to live.
- I made a connection with him. He couldn't have cared less that I found his ring.
- While it didn't seem appreciated, I will probably always try to get things back to who
they belong. I have always had good success in finding other rings for people that did
appreciate the effort.

Sorry, I don't meet all the criteria.

Burt

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildrider said:
The only "CLASS RING" I ever found...

Had been lost about 8 years.

- I wasn't posting here at the time. But, I did post pics elsewhere.
- I researched and called the home where the young man was supposed to live.
- I made a connection with him. He couldn't have cared less that I found his ring.
- While it didn't seem appreciated, I will probably always try to get things back to who
they belong. I have always had good success in finding other rings for people that did
appreciate the effort.

Burt

I'v had a couple people seem very disintrested also
when I told them I found their rings.

One I simply put it in an envelope & mailed it to her.
I talked to her on the phone & she said "I'll be back
in the area this Summer and I'll meet you then."

2 years later, I stuck it in an envelope & mailed it.

Several never even got back to me.

I guess with all the scams out there at least one or 2
either Decided or were advised by some "Paranoid"
that I could be trying to Scam them :(

I still Feel Great when someone does appreciate it though.

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
My dad recovered friends presentation watch.

A friend of my father's was out horseback riding and had a spill.Some time later he discovered his engraved gold retirement watch was missing,of course it meant alot to him.He related the story to my dad who stated he had a metal detector, he took our(mine and his..lol) White's eagle spectrum to go out to the spot in the woods where the gentleman had his spill.After about 15 minutes or so Voila!..watch recovered,smiles all around and a very grateful friend.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool !

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff...

Jeff:

I do not know if this is the right place to post this, but I am sure you will move it if it is not:

I went to return the wedding band I found earlier this week and you should have seen the faces of the entire family when they saw what I was holding! I realized what an impact such a small item can have on peoples lives.

I also began to think about the $350 or so that I find in Clad and Lincoln pennies each year. It is nice to have the money, but do I really need it? Sure it can help to pay for a nice weekend getaway. But i also began to realize how much that same $350 can have on a less fortunate family. I am sure there are many detectorists that feel the same way.

Would there be any interest in pooling resources to give our "non-keepers" to charity? Maybe we can start a campaign for "Detectorists Against Hunger" or something along those lines? I think s this could raise a nice sum of money, and at the same time give the hobby an image lift. (Can you imagine stopping someone from detecting if you knew it was going to charity?)

Do we have any legal experts in our little community that can help set up such an organization?

Maybe I will set a poll on the site, with your approval.

Thanks Jeff!!

Neil

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to check a stone under magnification for a laser-engraved serial number, name, or other clues that may identify the owner?

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread