🏆 HONORABLE MENTION 6 Carat yellow diamond ring and some pocket change!!!

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II / Vibra p. 570
Hello Everyone,
I took a trip down to the beach with the family last week and planned to do some beach hunting. I hit beach accesses and around some of the piers. I was hunting a beach in front of a hotel when i was approached by a crying women. She explained that she lost her wedding band and found it, but could not find the engagment ring. She ask if i mind helping her search for it, and i said no problem. Well, we didn't find it, and she asked if i found it, could i bring it by to her at the address that she handed me before she walked away. I started hunting a little ways away from that area and found 3 - 1965 quarters in one coin spill(Weird). On the way back home i decided to do some night hunting and look around where the baby stroller and toys were when i was talking to them. Well after finding a tube of Blistex and a destroyed beer can, you could probably guess by now, i got the most fantastic sound on the Excalibur2 - Platinum. When i pulled it out of the sand it was already about 4 inches down (HMM?). I wonder what could have caused that ring to go 4 inches down in that amount of time. Maybe the baby was having fun with it! I put the sand scoop on the shoulder and headed to the address before going home. It was only 2 houses down from the beach access. When i rang the door bell about 20 people holding wine glasses and beer were staring at me. After all i was wading in chest deep water, and had the excal in one hand and the scoop on my shoulder and a finds bag dangling from my side covered in sand and salt water. The wife opened the door and asked me to come in. I began to explain to her where i looked and where i found that hunk of diamond. I asked her to put out her hand and put it there for her to see. She said, OMG! you found it! Well after she hugged me for 2 minitues her husband came over and shook my hand. He thanked me and said that if i wouldn't have found the ring, he would have been paying on it for the next fifteen years without it even being on her finger. I said 15 years? The one i bought for my wife was nice and took a couple of years to pay off but 15, holy cow. He said the diamond is yellow and very rare. They had just come back from Vegas getting married and were here seeing the in-laws. I asked him if he wouldn't mind telling me what something like that runs and he said a little over $59,000. I about fell over on my Excal! I wanted to ask him why his wife was wearing that bad boy on the beach in the first place, but that wasn't my place to ask that, so i told them congrats on the marriage and went home to tell my story to my wife and son. I found a bunch of quarters, dimes, nickles, and lets not forget those blasted pennies. Oh, and also a fishing weight and earing. I was glad to return the ring to the couple because i would want the same for my wife if she lost hers! I love beach hunting whether i found a penny or a 6 carat diamond ring. I still have not broken the 1950's in coins, no rings yet, and no gold in hunting off and on for 4 years or so. One day my friends, one day!!! Never give up

Good luck to you!

Attachments

• Coins from the beach.JPG
    Coins from the beach.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 2,144

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG congrats to you :headbang: However, I might be out of line by saying this, but, you returned a $60,000 ring & they didn't give you any type of reward?! Did they offer?? If not, they have to be the cheapest S.O.B's I've ever heard about in my life. I know you didn't return it for the reward, but, IMO it was the least the owners could have done...ESPECIALLY on a ring that cost more than a luxury car :icon_sunny:

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
BIG congrats to you :headbang: However, I might be out of line by saying this, but, you returned a $60,000 ring & they didn't give you any type of reward?! Did they offer?? If not, they have to be the cheapest S.O.B's I've ever heard about in my life. I know you didn't return it for the reward, but, IMO it was the least the owners could have done...ESPECIALLY on a ring that cost more than a luxury car :icon_sunny:

THIS.......

OP
OP
fourleaf

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
No, they didn't offer anything. I wasn't expecting anything either. Heck I knew it was nice when I found it and was looking at it on the way to their house, but when he told me what it was I was in complete shock. That is a lot of money for anyone these days.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing kid, but, trust me...you got gipped :thumbsup: The woman came over to you hysterically crying to help her. You took time out of your schedule & performed manual labor to find her over-the-top, ostentatious ring & all the husband & wife offer is a thanks?! As he said, you saved him 15 years of payments!!! In the very LEAST, I would've palmed 5 crisp hundreds in your hand, but, maybe I live by a different set of rules :dontknow:

OP
OP
fourleaf

fourleaf

Oct 19, 2007
Creedmoor, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
5 crisp ones would have been nice.I am working three jobs right now to stay afloat so it would have helped. So many of us are in the same boat! I was also thinking what kind of message would I be sending my son if I were mad about not receiving anything in return. One day he might do the same thing and someone break him off something real nice. You never know. But for now he needs to know which way to go and that is the direction I want my son to head in.

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
Leave it to the rich folks to be cheapskates. Oh well, I think the sign was 3 x '65's right up front for your reward! :thumbsup: :coffee2:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to tell the truth....I would have been mad with no reward. I would have been thinking that if they could afford a ring like that, they could have slid a little change my way. I also think its great that you werent mad. :icon_thumleft:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fourleaf said:
No, they didn't offer anything. I wasn't expecting anything either. Heck I knew it was nice when I found it and was looking at it on the way to their house, but when he told me what it was I was in complete shock. That is a lot of money for anyone these days.
I am very happy to see this post. I am so grateful to see people like yourself representing this hobby honorably in our great state of NC. There are a good bunch of NC'ers here that keep the doors open for those wanting to detect sensitive areas. For such a great deed I vote
Honorable Mention!!!
Keep up the great deeds!
Thank you

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you know what the address is, if you supply it to me I would like to drop those people a little note! I can not believe they didn't even offer you a drink! That douche bag deserves to pay for 15 years IMHO!
DC

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe your reward will be in the knowledge that that ring went down 4 inches that quickly, so ones lost 5 years ago will be deeeeep. Knowing you are able to find gold, platinum and jewels can't be a bad thing for the confidence, and might make you stick at it longer. Pl8man's posts show what the potential is too.
Also, next time take a photo of the bling for us :headbang:
You found one for practice - go find a couple more for the money. Best of all possible luck to you, Nuggy

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on finding and returning the ring. very honorable to say the least. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who would wear something that valuable is a moron.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Good for you for performing such a noble deed! :icon_thumright: Hopefully karma will take care of the reward situation, you did that couple a tremendous favor. They could have at least offered you a beer or something... ::) Guess they blew all their money gambling and on their incredibly expensive wedding at Elvis's chapel of love. :tongue3:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
You performed a noble deed, but the husband could have at least offered you a beer. Something like this deserves a little more than a pat on the back. Buddy-man could afford to finance a $59,000 ring but couldn't even come off with a red nickel for a reward?

Mantis212

Aug 19, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter "Lone Star"
Good for you! You will be rewarded in good karma 100 times more than any reward could of been :notworthy:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
fourleaf said:
I am very happy to see this post. I am so grateful to see people like yourself representing this hobby honorably in our great state of NC. There are a good bunch of NC'ers here that keep the doors open for those wanting to detect sensitive areas. For such a great deed I vote
Honorable Mention!!!
Keep up the great deeds!
Thank you

I'm with WD on this one. The lady was still in shock and probably didn't even think of it.
Knowing you helped someone in need and your future good Karma are your rewards.
Kudos-

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
Woodland Detectors said:
fourleaf said:
Honorable Mention!!!
Keep up the great deeds!
Thank you

I'm with WD on this one. The lady was still in shock and probably didn't even think of it.
Knowing you helped someone in need and your future good Karma are your rewards.
Kudos-

Was the husband in shock too? :dontknow: I gotta remember to be 'in shock' the next time a friends birthday comes around, the rent's due or a buddy wants to borrow some money :thumbsup: The kid did the right thing for sure, but, I ain't buying the 'in shock' story. They are just cheap blowhards IMHO :headbang:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'm glad you got an Honorable Mention out of it fourleaf.

Sounds like you are having a rough time of it.

Consider though if an insurance company had paid on the ring, and you then found it and returned it to the insurance company, you would have been entitled to at least a 10-15% finder's fee based on the total value of the ring. It can be higher than that. But the 10-15% figures mean you just lost $4,900-$7,350.

There's still a way to make some free publicity from this. Contact your friends who just received their ring back, and ask if they would allow photos to be taken of the ring for a newspaper article. Said article might result in your being contacted by more people hoping for the recovery of certain valuable lost assets.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fourleaf...

As part of the services of my company, we help folks find lost items...like valuable rings... Tomorrow we are digging on a ring, we have located, that has been lost for 5 years... we just need to dig it up...it was appraised for $25,000 5 years ago and replaced by the insurance company back then.... The owners have told us to keep it since it was replaced.... Another ring, I will be going for I will get paid $1,000 for finding it.... it was lost while mowing the lawn.. in the grass...somewhere in an 2 acre area...We'll find it...and we'll dig that one in a couple of weeks...

We set up contracts with our clients who loose valuables and contact us trough our web site...... but if I were in your position, being blind sided like that, so to speak......I would have done the same thing.. and Congrats to you for being straight up and honest... and doing the right thing...very cool man...and your actions will come back to you... It is too bad they didn't offer you something though since you just saved them some money, IF THE RING WASN'T INSURED.... and from the way the deal went down, and what was said at the house......I doubt it was.....

Keep doing what you are doing.... :icon_thumright:

Klondike....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread