Orion99

Mar 3, 2012
Havelock, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MIA Bracelet "Hobo 27" *RETURNED*

This topic, and efforts made by the members are incredible and persuaded me to join. I feel lucky to have found such a great place to learn and hopefully share my finds.

JW

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250

Absolutely GREAT job Papa Bear!!! Above and beyond and what a great testament for us Th'ers :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding PB,mission complete! :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

To everyone who has congratulated us in this endeavor, both The Good Sgt and I are humbled. I will be sure to pass onto The Good Sgt everyone's congratulations. For those of you interested, he has purchased a BH Tracker IV and should have it this next week. Again, we were just doing what was right. Thank you again everyone.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mcogan / L.I. Mongo Mike said:
Well done.

Thanks Mongo!

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratulations for the Honorable Mention.
You and the Good Sgt have made us all Proud.
For the most part, doing what it right is always rewarded by the feeling that you get in your Heart. This time that Good Feeling in your Heart will get a little bit of a boost for you and the Sgt.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Kevin

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

K Zack said:
Congratulations for the Honorable Mention.
You and the Good Sgt have made us all Proud.
For the most part, doing what it right is always rewarded by the feeling that you get in your Heart. This time that Good Feeling in your Heart will get a little bit of a boost for you and the Sgt.
Kevin

Thanks K Zack! I will pass your words onto The Good Sgt.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey everyone. The Good Sgt and I have been humbled again. I just received an email from Col. Tatum's son. Here it is:

Dear Mr. Martin (sorry, I don't know your rank),

As the only son of Col. Lawrence Byron Tatum, I wish to thank you and your friend for locating and returning my father's MIA bracelet to my mother and sister. We are all very grateful that there are so many fine young men (such as yourself) and women in the armed services who are carrying on in the tradition of my father's generation and putting others before themselves. The fact that the two of you went through the time and effort to research and return the bracelet suggests to me that you are cut out of the same cloth.

In case you have some interest in more of the story, here's a brief synopsis: I was ten years old when my father's plane was shot down and he was placed on the MIA list. At first, because of the secretive nature of the DoD at the time, we were advised to tell no one that we were an MIA family. So we pretty much went through this hardship alone. Dad had simply "signed up for more missions." Eventually, the secrecy was relaxed and there was more public knowledge and support for our MIAs and POWs. So, at some point (I can't remember exactly what year), the support manifested itself in the form of MIA and POW bracelets. We went through a phase when our family members wore them and we saw them on the wrists of perfect strangers. It was genuinely heart-warming to see this at a time when the Vietnam War itself was extremely unpopular. This experience had a great impact on me and turned me towards a life of public service. I was fortunate enough to attend and graduate from Stanford University and pursue a long career in medicine. Part of my financial support for college came in the form of winning one of the rare scholarship grants from Scholarships for Children of American Military Personnel (S.C.A.M.P.). I mention this not to brag but to further emphasize that help and support sometimes comes from surprising places, when you least expect it. Your kind gesture falls very much into this theme and brings the story around full circle.

Sincerely,

E. Terry Tatum, M.D.
Bowling Green, KY

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Papa Bear
Kevin

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

K Zack said:
Papa Bear
Kevin

Well for The Good Sgt, the karma has started. He just found out on Tuesday that he has been selected for promotion to SSgt.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Papa Bear said:
K Zack said:
Papa Bear
Kevin

Well for The Good Sgt, the karma has started. He just found out on Tuesday that he has been selected for promotion to SSgt.

I think Congratulation's are in order for the Good Sgt. A Promotion and a new Metal Detector! It does not get much better then that.
Looking forward to seeing the next finds from you and the Good SSgt.
Kevin

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Papa Bear,
I believe the son Dr. Tatum, hit the nail on the head. Both you and the Good Sgt. went above and beyond what most would have done to contact the family and return the bracelet. You are both to be commended. I for one was very touched by the story and I pray God blesses you both for being the type of people we need more of.

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That right there is what it's all about. As a son of a Vietnam vet (navy boiler tech) I got a smile and a bit choked up reading about all the hard work both of you went through to find the family members of our fallen hero. Waves of respect are sent your way from here in Florida! Good karma will surely come both of your way!

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank you everyone from The Good Sgt and myself. We are humbled beyond words.

FamilyFun2010

Apr 16, 2010
Morehead, Ky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading about this when you and The Good Sgt found the bracelet and looked up the Lt. Col to read his story. I actually teared up a bit while reading your post about the actual meeting. I just want to say how proud I am of you and The Good Sgt. I am sure it meant a great deal to his family to have that little piece of history back in their possession. Thanks again and God bless. P.S. Did The Good Sgt get that promotion?

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember reading about this when you and The Good Sgt found the bracelet and looked up the Lt. Col to read his story. I actually teared up a bit while reading your post about the actual meeting. I just want to say how proud I am of you and The Good Sgt. I am sure it meant a great deal to his family to have that little piece of history back in their possession. Thanks again and God bless. P.S. Did The Good Sgt get that promotion?

Thanks! The Good Sgt is selected to the next rank. His promotion number is in the 400's and they are promoting about 40 a month. He is looking at Dec/Jan as a promotion month.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well, i wish you luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread