Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So today The Good Sgt and I hit an area in Onslow County with gusto. He has yet to get a MD so he digs when I get a hit. I do feel bad about it but he is insists on digging. The area yielded plenty of small change but then took a turn towards a pause for reflection. At the bottom of a 8 inch deep plug we found a bent piece of copper. I looked and could see letters on it. I kind of had a suspicion of what it was, but the sergeant (with better eyesight) confirmed what it was. Anyway it was a MIA bracelet made of copper. We hurried to a computer to do some research. The bracelet read LtCol Lawrence Tatum, 9-10-66. He was a Major when he was shot down flying his A-1 Skyraider and he was posthumously promoted to LtCol and Col at some point. I am including the link about him and the details behind his being shot down.

So here is to 'Hobo 27". RIP my friend

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/t/t003.htm

http://airforce.togetherweserved.co...ShadowBoxProfile&type=AssignmentExt&ID=229105

Attachments

• MIA Bracelet.JPG
    MIA Bracelet.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,679
  • MIA Bracelet (1).JPG
    MIA Bracelet (1).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,676
  • Col Lawrence Tatum.JPG
    Col Lawrence Tatum.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,677

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MIA Bracelet "Hobo 27"

That is some great research you did there. A very special piece of history. Sad that he was never found. Good recovery on you guys part. Congrats.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Man, that is awesome. What a nice piece of history. Maybe you can track him down if he's still living. You have all of the tools availabe since you are in the Marines and on active duty. Please keep us updated on this one. OOhraH for sure. Don't Marines ever work on Friday anymore ??? I was on Pendleton today, like most days and Marines are gone by noon ??? What ever happened to a full work day :laughing7: Ron Smith USMC Retired :whip2:

Didn't see the link. God bless our MIA's :notworthy: I wonder if he was ever found?? Please do you best to get this to his family. In my military mid, this is a Banner Find :hello: I don't care what everyone else thinks on this one. A bitter-sweet find for you

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I do my MDing after 1630. Unfortunately he was declared dead about 10 years after he was shot down. The bracelet says LtCol and is made of copper. The bracelets now are made of aluminum. I am trying to figure out the dates of his promotions so I can date the age of the bracelet. Either way, it will be on my display shelf in my office on Monday until I can find his family.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Papa Bear said:
I do my MDing around my buildings after 1630.

You mean you actually work a full day on Friday :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I bet Lejeune sure empties out by 1200. If I get back there this spring we have to meet up. I have a Vietnam Buddy whom I've known for a long time. He lives off of Gum Branch road. I will get back there this year.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

@zaxfire69: Thanks! It didn't take long. We soon had what we needed to know we had found something special. After some sleuthing I believe that this bracelet is from the late 70's or early 80's.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find and research. Wish I had known about Metal Dectecting when I was in (75 - 95). Some of the bases I would have had the opportunity to search: Ft. Lewis Wa. Schwabish Gmuned Germany (Old German Barracks), Ft. Bragg NC, Ft. Sam Houston Tx, Ft. Vancouver Wa. Ft Baker and San Fransico Presido (Both are now National Parks) Novato Naval Air Station (sold to the highest bidder), Ft Ben Harrison Indiania (closed of active duty units, now just USAR and NG). Keep hunting and good luck find all the good stuff you can and some will be nice history as your find of the MIA bracelet. And feel free to hunt anytime, during and after work you all deserve it.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

@Crazyjarhead: Thanks! I will leave to whomever determines banners. He went MIA two months before I was born so I just felt that he deserved a mention out there. As a kid I once made a model of the Douglas Skyraider. I always thought it was an awesome aircraft.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

you are right this was popular in the 70s to show support by buying a MIA bracelet....hadn't thought of that in years.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW! Awesome read! You really did some research. good to se a face to link the piece to! Thanks for the post

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Already sent a message. We shall see where it leads.

JohnDS1

Feb 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It really goes to show that the lost are never forgotten!

SSgt S

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Papa Bear said:
Already sent a message. We shall see where it leads.

That would mean alot to any family member who had lost a love one in the war. Interesting on where this is going. Keep us posted

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Just for the record, I consider this a joint find. I have to thank The Good Sgt for his help in the digging part of this adventure. I look forward to when he gets his first MD.

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Semper Fi! I was stationed at Lejeune from 2000 to 2004 and worked for G4 with 2nd Marine Division and I tried to metal detect there the entire time I was there and could not get permission to detect there I am worked under a Colonel. I would be careful because it is still government property. I has some people tell me it is ok and others who told me no. I would get your permission in writing just to CYA and ensure that it comes from someone with some rank.

Happy Hunting.

morrisdwm

Greenie
Jan 17, 2012
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites-DFX, Beach hunter ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find,
Was at Lejeune 1971 thru 1975 never heard of metal det. then, I still stop on base every spring,ate lunch

on the parade deck, thought about getting the Det.. out then but didn't dare! I'll check into it before I get there in March.

Sgt. D.W. Morris 8th Eng. Bn.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

morrisdwm said:
Nice find,
Was at Lejeune 1971 thru 1975 never heard of metal det. then, I still stop on base every spring,ate lunch

on the parade deck, thought about getting the Det.. out then but didn't dare! I'll check into it before I get there in March.

Sgt. D.W. Morris 8th Eng. Bn.

I was there in 1974-75 with Mike 3/10 and then again with 8th MTBn. 80-81

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread