πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Ring Returned after being lost for over 50 years!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I gained some permission to hunt a turn of the century home site in NC last week. I started detecting the place, durring the day had become friends with the owner Mr. Ken Rabb. We spoke of when his father had built the home in 1925, and that he had 5 siblings that also grew up in the home. While searching the yard, I got a signal that turned out to be a 1925 Wheat cent. Ken was walking with me while I detected, and when I mentioned the date, his eyes lit up, and he had a cheerful grin. I asked him if that was a special date, and he said that was the year he was born. I gave Ken the coin, and instructed him how to clean it safely. I started to detect again, and noticed Ken had disappeared. :laughing7: He was inside cleaning his penny. He came out a few minutes later to show a great first time copper resto he was very proud of. It was heading towards the end of the day, and I thanked Ken for letting us detect his place. He asked if I would like to come back the following week. I had a feeling Ken enjoyed the company. The next week I came back out, and Ken seemed excited to see us. We chatted for a bit, and went back inside to fetch a cup of Coffee. I fired up my Minelab Etrac with the CoilTek Joey coil and began searching. I got a nice solid tone, I decided was dig worthy. Out of the plug fell a nice ring, with an attractive stone. I walked up To ken's door, knocked and he answered saying " now what did you find?" :laughing7: I held the ring out, and again the cheerful grin appeared on his face. I asked, " Do you know who this ring belongs to?" I noticed Ken's eyes water a bit, and he said, "Yes, I do believe I know who this belongs to." It's my sisters ring, she lost that when we were kids" Instantly I got that feeling he must have felt when he saw me hand that ring over. , That cheerful grin then appeared on my face. I hadn't asked if his sister was still among us, It was just so nice to see his reaction, bringing back obvious fond memories of his childhood. Sometimes it's not at all the treasures we find to take home that are important, It's getting out with good friends enjoying the day, and once in a while finding something important that we return to those missing a loved one, or bringing back fond memories of older times. I think I'll go visit Ken this week, leave the detector behind and just talk to him about old times....Thanks for reading

Attachments

• Week 3 Feb 2012 2012-02-23 002.jpg
    Week 3 Feb 2012 2012-02-23 002.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,199
  • Week 3 Feb 2012 2012-02-23 004.jpg
    Week 3 Feb 2012 2012-02-23 004.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,208

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't have put it better, other than saying, money means nothing, memory means more. I would have done the same, a hundred times over :hello2:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very heart warming.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story Mike .. Thanks for sharing it with us.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible, makes your heart melt.
Thank you for sharing.
Kevin

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike , you made all of us proud buddy! Very heart warming. :coffee2:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's awesome :icon_thumleft:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go Mike. That was a great story and I am so glad he got the ring back. I am sure the smile you saw on his face was the biggest treasure you got that day.

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find and story ! Congrats :icon_thumright:
Glen

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mike, that story ranks right up there with the note tied to the helium balloon that I found while bush hogging where the little boy sent a letter to heaven to his recently deceased Grandfather. Great story and it's the seemingly insignificant things we do and find while detecting for people that turn out to mean the most. WTG, Q.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn Mike that brought a tear to the corner of my eye :'( great job dude! :thumbsup:

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to hear a story like that , the money you would have made off that ring was nothing compared to the joy you brought to Ken I sure hope his sister is still around to feel the same joy. Great story :headbang:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! You are a credit to our hobby and if you read this, I'd enjoy PM'ing you and telling you a similar story, but I don't feel comfortable putting it out here as it happened 14 years ago.

You can see the joy in that man's face, that is more valuable than anything we can find.

Congrats!

Jeff in Mass

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and going back to hang out with him is a great idea. I really enjoy the conversations I have had with some of the old timers and they really enjoy the company. Make sure you bring up in conversation if he remembers any picnic areas, swim holes, gathering places, etc... :thumbsup:. Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions