GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week, my office (Code Enforcement) received a report of nails being dumped in a popular swimming area here in Southwest Georgia. The area is known locally as "The Blue Hole" and is a natural spring along side of the creek. It is a common place to find people swimming with their freinds and family. I put the word out about the report of the possiblilty of hazards in the water and a river diver the following day confirmed that we had a serious problem when he brought in around four hundred roofing nails that he had collected in an area the size of his jon boat. The area was quickly posted with warning signs to stay out of the area until the county could remove the hazard. The news media also covered the story and put out a warning as well. No reports of injuries came in so I think most people took the warning.

The Community Emergency Response Team (C.E.R.T.), Fire Department Divers, and Code Enforcement used metal detectors, magnets, sifters, a dredge, and visual search of the creek bottom & spring and collected around six to eight thousand roofing nails and several yards of barbed wire that had been cut and shaped to seriously injure an unsuspecting swimmer. It was very clear to those who helped clean up that this was not an accident and that the nails and barbed wire were there as a hateful act. Most all of nails were found in a area that is used for volley ball and other horse play.

The day prior to the clean up, I received a call from a person who saw the news story and asked that I be on the look out for his wedding band and gave me an area that he thought he may have lost it in. I arrived at the site earlier than the C.E.R.T. and started metal detecting for any and all targets in the water. Fifteen minutes and two modern pennies later, I had his ring. Needless to say, he and his wife were happy to hear from me with the news. It took twenty- five divers and support members eight hours to clean the debris from the area. While we are sure that we did not get every nail that was dumped, we have made the site as safe as possible.

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012/jun/25/creek-cleanup-success/

Attachments

• Divers in Blue hole.jpg
    Divers in Blue hole.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 143
  • Recovered items.jpg
    Recovered items.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Recovered ring (Bluehole) .JPG
    Recovered ring (Bluehole) .JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Nails in divers shoe.jpg
    Nails in divers shoe.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Nails removed  by magnets.jpg
    Nails removed by magnets.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just boggles my mind as to why some folks have the need
to hurt other folks and children. Nice job on the cleanup and
finding the wedding ring.....hope you can catch the ones that
made that mess. Gold Nuggets :hello:

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
I had an issue like that by me also. In my neighborhood we have some sand volleyball courts and I thought let me go hunt those and see what I find. Well in one of them I found about 10 long self tapping screws. Last I checked there was no need for screws at a sand volleyball court. They were about 3" long to so I of course removed them all before someone got seriously hurt.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find lots of screws, nails, tent stakes on Hampton Beach, NH. Makes you wonder how these things get on a beach. I realize folks use stakes for their beach tents, but come on, you came with 4...leave with 4! Screws and nails I might understand as there are new overhangs and buildings on the boardwalk. Would be nice if the construction crews MD'd for their dropped stuff. Too bad they didn't drop a nail gun while they were at it...I could use a new one! With all the junk on the beach (can slaw, pull tabs, broken glass) you wonder why folks walk barefoot on the sand.

Be safe out there.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really sad that in this day and age someone would spike a beach like that to hert people for no reason,that person or persons bolong in a cage at the zoo.

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We really work hard to keep our waterways clean and ready for people to come and enjoy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread