Made my first donation

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
A few weeks ago I found the ring in the image below at a public park and I I posted it in the "Today's Finds" section. I took the ring to several different Antique Dealers that specialize in jewelry. In each case I was offered around $150 for it.
ring_side.jpg

Even though I could really use this cash at Christmas, I decided to take it to our local Historical Resource Center and had them evaluate it. The curator of our largest historical museum, T.T. Wentworth Museum, examined it in detail and said that it was most likely from the last Spanish colonial period in our area(1781-1821) and was hand made. I asked her if she felt like it would be desirable for the museum. She nearly fainted and said that it would be a wonderful addition. Therefore, I donated it to the museum and it will be placed among other personal relics from this period in January.

Pcolaboy

T

TreasureTales

Very nice gesture. I suggest, however, that you should have LOANED the ring to the museum, for a set period of time, and thereby the ring would still remain your property. As much as I think donating items to museums is admirable (and it is!!), there exists the possibility that the museum at some point in time might SELL or DEACCESSION your donation. This is a fairly common practice, for various reasons. So by loaning the item to the museum, you retain the right to do with it as you wish once the term of the loan is reached.

By the way, that was a great find. The workmanship on that ring was exquisite.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
TreasureTales said:
Very nice gesture. I suggest, however, that you should have LOANED the ring to the museum, for a set period of time, and thereby the ring would still remain your property. As much as I think donating items to museums is admirable (and it is!!), there exists the possibility that the museum at some point in time might SELL or DEACCESSION your donation. This is a fairly common practice, for various reasons. So by loaning the item to the museum, you retain the right to do with it as you wish once the term of the loan is reached.

It is still mine. I should have clarified that a bit. They gave me a "receipt" saying that they are only taking stewardship of the item and that it is still my property. I in return agree to give them a 30 day notice in writing when i wish to have the ring returned to me.

Pcolaboy

T

TreasureTales

pcolaboy said:
TreasureTales said:

It is still mine. I should have clarified that a bit. They gave me a "receipt" saying that they are only taking stewardship of the item and that it is still my property. I in return agree to give them a 30 day notice in writing when i wish to have the ring returned to me.

Pcolaboy

That's a relief. Apparently you have a very ethical museum curator, or you were aware of the deaccession that occurs at museums at times. Either way, congrats on retaining ownership of the ring.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pcolaboy said:
A few weeks ago I found the ring in the image below at a public park and I I posted it in the "Today's Finds" section. I took the ring to several different Antique Dealers that specialize in jewelry. In each case I was offered around $150 for it.
ring_side.jpg

Even though I could really use this cash at Christmas, I decided to take it to our local Historical Resource Center and had them evaluate it. The curator of our largest historical museum, T.T. Wentworth Museum, examined it in detail and said that it was most likely from the last Spanish colonial period in our area(1781-1821) and was hand made. I asked her if she felt like it would be desirable for the museum. She nearly fainted and said that it would be a wonderful addition. Therefore, I donated it to the museum and it will be placed among other personal relics from this period in January.

Pcolaboy
you have made a valuable Allie smooth move dude!!!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is too cool! I'd love to find something worthy of a museum. My brother found a slave ankle cuff/bracelet that was used during slave auctions in the late 1700's and donated it flat out to The Mint Museum of History in Charlotte. They flipped out over it. This was back in the 1970's.

Nice going Pcolaboy!
HH,
Ramapirate

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story! you should've asked her if you could detect the Museum grounds now? ;D I would've! ;) Cool story and you did a good thing,hopefully it won't go unnoticed.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to Go! Actions of this caliber really give our hobby a great name, well done and thanks for sharing. Excellent pic too ;D

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
diggummup said:
That's a great story! you should've asked her if you could detect the Museum grounds now? ;D I would've! ;) Cool story and you did a good thing,hopefully it won't go unnoticed.

Oh now I would never even conceive of asking any 'favors' from these folks in the future ;)

Pcolaboy

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:D What a wonderful deed/gesture you have done! :D
Kudos, kudos, kudos to you!​

I think if you are ever needing info on any other items you have found, they will surely be of a great assistance to you!

Bogart :D

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great gesture and a secure move as well. I myself would not have been able to do that. For one thing I get attached easily, because well, I like to collect, duh.... The other thing is I just don't trust others with my stuff. I don't care what kind of receipt I get for it. That piece of paper doesn't stop someone from walking off with it. I have worked construction for many years and the one thing I have learned is that nothing can be proven without the photographic evidence and that some people are all-too-willing to take advantage of that. I admire your spirit.

Good luck with that loan. I hope many people get to enjoy it.

Laater...

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
Tht's exactally why I love this hobby....Congratulations on your contributation...Santa will be good to you this year. It's what's in your heart that counts. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Woodsie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions