[HONORABLE MENTION] Lost 20 Years Ago ~ 18k Gold Indian Chief Ring Returned To Owner!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Lost 20 Years Ago ~ 18k Gold Indian Chief Ring Returned To Owner!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2010
    30 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Lost 20 Years Ago ~ 18k Gold Indian Chief Ring Returned To Owner!

On May 8th, 2012, I took my week old Minelab E-TRAC to a local park to practice. I had been detecting for over a year with my Teknetics Delta 4000, but while the E-TRAC offered more horsepower, it was also going to take longer to master. After digging plenty of clad and lot's of trash for an hour, it began drizzling. I was about to leave when I hit a constant 10-33 in all directions. I figured it was trash, but just had to know for sure. Haphazardly digging (drizzle was turning to rain) I saw a glint of gold at 3-4 inches. "Bet this is just a crushed gold screw cap," I thought. I pulled it out with a finger and out popped this cool 18k gold man's ring with the face of an Indian Chief! It had diamond eyes, rubies on the temples, and (I found out later weighed in at a hefty 16.7 grams! I started running/happy dancing to my truck thanking God and Minelab!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120508180948219.jpg 
Views:	1118 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	715545 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120508172441631.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	715546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	715560

Fast Forward to December 17, 2012:

I was visiting a local auto repair shop. Several months before, I had mentioned to some of the guys working there how much I enjoy metal detecting (my Teknetics Delta 4000 was in the truck) and that from time to time I make some exciting finds. Perhaps the best of those finds was the Indian Chief ring. Although tempted many times to sell the ring, because it was so beautiful and fit my pinky perfectly, I'm glad I never did. It also provided some bragging rights around others who share this great hobby.

When I arrived at the shop, one of the mechanics hollered, "I think I may have found the original owner of that ring!" "You?", I joked. "No!" he replied, and began telling me how he was with a friend, Mando a few weeks before and had mentioned how someone he knew finds cool stuff with his metal detector. Mando asked him if he ever finds rings. "Yep!" "Did he ever find a gold Indian ring?" ..." in #$%^ park?"

The short of the story: I had the mechanic get him on the phone and I introduced myself. Mando answered all my questions perfectly including the very spot in the park where he lost the ring. (I had never told anybody the exact spot I found it). He said his father (now deceased) had had it made custom by a man who lived in our town ages ago. Years later, it was given to Mando.

Because people sometimes sleigh ride in the area where I found it, I had guessed it fell off a cold finger during the winter. Mando said, "Actually, I lost it on a hot summer day while throwing bottles at the bottles he and his friends were tossing in the air." (the crazy stuff you do when you're young - he turns 51 on Dec. 21st). "I spent the rest of that day searching for it and came back the next to search for it again." "I finally gave up and was heartbroken - never thinking I would ever see it again!"

After I arrived at his house, going in, ring in my pocket, I was surprised when Mando showed me the tattoo he had gotten so many years before - just a few days after he lost the ring. He explained that he had it done because the ring had meant so much to him. His wife and daughter were overjoyed as well we all agreed that it was a miracle that after twenty years, the old, gold Indian Chief, finally made it back home! .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-17_18-21-46_396.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	715547

And to all of you who have the ability to do some good deed this Christmas, Take it from someone who just found out...

It's the Best Feeling In The World!

The End.

Rob Mickatavage
    "MickTwin"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	addon (2).jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	715543  
    Last edited by River Rat; Jan 03, 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
    764 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    awesome story!! congrats on your find and return!
    MickTwin likes this.
    Debby

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19416 times
    Great find. Many more to you!
    MickTwin likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7330 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Good job!
    MickTwin likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6943 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    While gold and silver have their value, there are still some things that are just priceless!
    You did good, my friend.
    MickTwin likes this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3600 times
    Great Story Man!!..Thats really cool, I bet the feeling of giving it back is just as good as finding it.

On a side note..Has anyone told you that you look like Louis CK?..sorry he is my Favorite comedian, and I think you kinda look like him

us
    Apr 2010
    30 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggin-N-Dumps View Post
    Great Story Man!!..Thats really cool, I bet the feeling of giving it back is just as good as finding it.

On a side note..Has anyone told you that you look like Louis CK?..sorry he is my Favorite comedian, and I think you kinda look like him
    Nope, but I DO look alot like my twin brother... we're identical! LOL

us
    May 2009
    NC USA
    Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT, Garrett Infinium
    4608 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Well done Mick. I just coordinated a return of a 50 year lost silver ring found by my buddy. I love returns.
    MickTwin likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Garret ace 250
    16 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Really awesome story!
    MickTwin likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    South Carolina
    Teknetics Alpha Teknetics Delta 4000 Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker IV with 4" Gold Nugget Coil
    3 times
    Oh wow! That is such a bitter-sweet experience! I so hope that you will be blessed 7 times over!
    MickTwin likes this.

us
    Oct 2007
    West Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    33 times
    Sucks to give back that much gold but this is still the coolest part of this hobby. I am so impressed by these "good deed" stories...can't wait until its my turn to post one.
    MickTwin and fireford10 like this.

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    2419 times
    Very nice and great story.
    MickTwin likes this.
    Scholar
    Finds2019
    Coins usables=0
    Silver= 0 pieces
    Gold= Nothing

us
    Apr 2013
    Camino, CA
    AT PRO
    6 times
    Good Karma..
    MickTwin likes this.

mx
    May 2010
    465 times
    That is one healthy looking man. I don't think I'd like to see him angry. Heh, heh.

Dec 2012
    21 times
    It is cool that he got the Indian tattoo because the ring meant so much to him. Apparently, quite a few things meant a lot to him. HA!
    Good job, man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links