snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all its been a while since i have been on here but i thought this might make a nice story.

yesterday January 2nd my daughter and her 12 year old friend came to my door and girl was bawling her eyes out. she told me she lost her Ipod somewhere outside in the snow and asked if i could help look for it as she was to afraid to tell her parents because she was told not to bring it outside, and since children listen so well she put it in her jacket pocket and went down the street to the store and back, then went tobogganing then built a snow fort and just spent the day playing in the snow.
wasn't until it was almost dark that she realized her Ipod was missing. so i put on my jacket grabbed a flashlight and headed outside,
i asked what color it was, she replied white...:icon_scratch: as I look around and there was about 6 inches of snow everywhere. after about 20 minutes i was frozen and was convinced it was lost so i came home to warm up.
some time had passed and i got a call from the girls mom asking if we had seen her with her Ipod outside i replied no, and again i offered to try to find it outside. after a while of searching the same areas over and over i once again gave up.
while i was sitting at home it really played on my thoughts as i kept thinking this was this girls only Christmas present this year as her parents were really on a tight budget, i felt so bad for her
i kept think what can i do???.
then it hit me,why not the metal detector?
there was so much area to cover i still didn't have much hope but thought its was worth the try.
i went to their house with my at pro and told the girl if you want any chance of finding your ipod you would have to tell me the truth of everywhere she was ,she was still trying to convince her mom she never brought it out and the story has now changed to ,she thinks her brother took it.
so we went out to search the same hill that has been searched over and over and i didn't get any convincing signals, i looked her in the eyes and said where else have you been. she said well i did go over there. i said good walk slowly in exactly the same footprints you think are yours.
i had a beep here and a beep there but nothing that felt like it might be an ipod then dingggg!!! i had a real strong signal and had a hunch, i shined the flashlight down on the ground and said kalena dig right here.
i saw the look of hope on her face as she stuck her foot in the snow and kicked up a ball of snow and she saw nothing and the look of sorrow came back that's when i said whats in that snowball?
she broke the snow open and voila! Ipod!!!
this time it was tears of happiness as she turned it on and said it still works! i then told her turn it off and let it defrost! then i asked are you going to do what your parents ask you to do from now on? she said yes!! i said merry Christmas and came home .
the next day i told the mom all i wanted in return was a pic of kalena holding her ipod so i can add it to my "stuff i find metal detecting" photo album on Facebook! and though i would also tell the story here!
thanks for listening to me ramble on.
i tell you it made me feel really good knowing i saved her Christmas!

Attachments

• teddy.009.jpg
    teddy.009.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 7,940
Last edited by a moderator:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding job!!!!:icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

Deserves an "Honorable Mention" in my opinion

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice! :notworthy: Gave me a warm fuzzy.

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
I bet your daughter and her friend think you are the Coolest Dad in the world! Nice save!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sent in the Honorable Mention vote For You Hh Chug and Red

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who says santa only shows up on Christmas, or in your case Santas helper. Great job, may your year of treasure hunting bring you as much happiness as you did that little girl!! HH

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely agree on the honorable mention but I think it would be a great idea in the future to keep these threads in the "Today's Finds" section until they run their course so more people get a chance to see them. A lot of work goes into some of these threads and then they get moved after just a few posts and don't get the exposure they should. I remember putting some work into my thread about finding and returning the wallet and when I logged back in I received a PM stating that it was moved to the "Honorable Mention" forum.. My first thought was hey, Awesome! then the thread died... Don't get me wrong, I still think it's awesome to get an honorable mention and it's much better than a long running thread but that's what generally happens after threads are moved to this section.

That's a nice thing you did snowdogg... your name suits you well :thumbsup:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You carry the torch well snowdogg........................HH

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I did the same thing a week ago, but found one at another bus stop North of here and my grandson recognized Melissa's picture on the 1st part so he gave it to her on the bus and got his 1st kiss. Glad to return as it looked expensive whatever it was? IPOD?

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice job.... :thumbsup:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job there Snowdogg70, there is nothing as nice as a smile on a child's face. Honorable mention for sure.
ZDD

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone for the Honorable mention

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions